Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf club membership cork

• 10-05-2014 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

Just wondering if any clubs in cork don't require 2 signatures from current members to join. Ive only 1 buddy that plays golf and he's joined in Douglas which is currently closed to new members and is fairly pricey.

I live in Douglas so long-term id like to join Douglas but for the next few years I want to join a club with little or no joining fee just to get the handicap and get back into the game but each club I contact requires you to be proposed by 2 members.

I played a lot when I was younger but gave it up until last year, I'm after getting hooked again!

I love Castlemartyr and would pay the 2k joining fee they're looking for but they're insisting on 2 signatures.

Do any golfers out there in cork know where I might get in without member signatures or know any way around this?

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭big_drive

I'd say the majority of clubs wouldn't want any signatures. Once you are willing to pay money they'll be happy! :)
    If you explain your new to the area and don't know anyone I would presume its fine. I couldn't see too many clubs being sticky on it. If they are they don't sound like clubs that are worth joining, not very welcoming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Tippman10 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if any clubs in cork don't require 2 signatures from current members to join. Ive only 1 buddy that plays golf and he's joined in Douglas which is currently closed to new members and is fairly pricey.

I live in Douglas so long-term id like to join Douglas but for the next few years I want to join a club with little or no joining fee just to get the handicap and get back into the game but each club I contact requires you to be proposed by 2 members.

I played a lot when I was younger but gave it up until last year, I'm after getting hooked again!

I love Castlemartyr and would pay the 2k joining fee they're looking for but they're insisting on 2 signatures.

Do any golfers out there in cork know where I might get in without member signatures or know any way around this?

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers

Seems a bit backward for castlemartyr considering they are just out of NAMA.
    I'm sure if you went down to the pro shop and had a chat with Brady he would sort you out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tippman10

Cheers lads, I was on to Brady but as soon as I mentioned I didn't know any members that was the end do the email thread.

I rang a few times but haven't got the call back, I got the impression they're not interested in me!

I'm not set on Castlemartyr, I just like the course. The other courses I like all have high joining fee, fota/cork, there's no point in paying that if in the long term I probably will pay the 6.5k for Douglas.

The only course I haven't played is blarney, heard its a lovely course, do ye know if they're strict?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

Tippman, Bandon doesn't have any hello money, I'd be more than happy to round up a proposer and a seconder for ya ;)

Cheers Denis, i haven't played Bandon but have heard its a good course and club. I suppose it's not much further from Douglas than Castlemartyr is.

Ideally I'd like it to be closer to home but realistically I only play On the weekends so the drive time doesn't matter too much. It's nice to get 9 in during the longer evenings in the summer so a half hour drive either side wouldn't be ideal but I'd get over it 1 or 2 evenings a week!

What's the sub in Bandon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Cheers lads, I was on to Brady but as soon as I mentioned I didn't know any members that was the end do the email thread.

I rang a few times but haven't got the call back, I got the impression they're not interested in me!

I'm not set on Castlemartyr, I just like the course. The other courses I like all have high joining fee, fota/cork, there's no point in paying that if in the long term I probably will pay the 6.5k for Douglas.

The only course I haven't played is blarney, heard its a lovely course, do ye know if they're strict?

Thanks

Blarney is a grand course. Some don't like it but I don't mind it tbh.

One of the mods here ssbob used to be a member there and I'm sure he would be able to put you onto someone if you were interested. Have no idea how strict they are but I wouldn't say it would be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭peepee

I'm not sure where the awful attitude in castlemartyr is coming from. Its well known around Cork that someone joined there recently from East Cork and left because he couldn't get anyone to play with in the opens due to there being so few members. TBH until something changes down there you're better off elsewhere.

Bandon is a fine course as is Lee Valley. Don't be put off by one clubs refusal.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

Cheers Denis, i haven't played Bandon but have heard its a good course and club. I suppose it's not much further from Douglas than Castlemartyr is.

Ideally I'd like it to be closer to home but realistically I only play On the weekends so the drive time doesn't matter too much. It's nice to get 9 in during the longer evenings in the summer so a half hour drive either side wouldn't be ideal but I'd get over it 1 or 2 evenings a week!

What's the sub in Bandon?

It's somewhere around €1100 for new members I think, I'll check

Cheers lads, I wouldn't be put off by that, Brady might still come back to me but it's not looking too good!

I often end up going out on my own so a good friendly club where you can join up with a few other players would be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Mallow is another option (my home club), €699 for newbies, about 50% of the members are from the city. They use the BRS online time sheet so never any problem getting playing partners. Again I'd say about half the members play with regular buddies and half put names down on own with different fellas each week.

• Advertisement

Cheers cairney, I've played mallow and it's a good course and to be fair was a very friendly club. It's an option it's just I'm on the wrong side of the city for it. It could easily take me an hour to get there by the time I get through the tunnel or the city.

It wouldn't matter too much on the weekends I suppose and I like the idea of being paired up. €699 is good for that club in fairness

Blarney have two options

- €100 per month direct debit you get golf membership, gym membership, €20 voucher for bar/restaurant

Or

- €850 for golf only membership

Friendly club, would welcome a new member no problem.

As mentioned above Bandon and Lee Valley nice clubs as well. Have heard Lee Valley timesheet can be very busy

Bad aditude from Castlemartyr, not the first time I've heard something negative about them. At times they seem to think they're something special, not sure why

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

I know a few who have joined Lee Valley recently due to the monthly payment option. Another possibility if you don't mind hills is Muskerry. They've done away with their upfront payment and whatever people think about the course there seems to be a good club atmosphere there.

Corkblowin wrote: »
    I know a few who have joined Lee Valley recently due to the monthly payment option. Another possibility if you don't mind hills is Muskerry. They've done away with their upfront payment and whatever people think about the course there seems to be a good club atmosphere there.

How're they getting in in Lee Valley?
    I've heard some people joined but left again due to problems getting on timesheet. Also I've heard some long term members have not been too welcoming to newcomers.
    Very nice course though!

Cheers big drive, that's the feeling I get from Castlemartyr. I thought they would welcome a new member as I've heard they have less than 200 but apparently not!

I just like that course, always seem to play reasonably well there! There's something about lee valley I just don't like, can't put my finger on it. Muskerry is nice but hilly, quite busy there I always found, can be tough to get out I'd imagine.

I'll try to get out in blarney tomorrow and Bandon next weekend and see what they say.

big_drive wrote: »
    How're they getting in in Lee Valley?
    I've heard some people joined but left again due to problems getting on timesheet. Also I've heard some long term members have not been too welcoming to newcomers.
    Very nice course though!

They did mention the sheet is tricky, but they're flexible enough about their times so no issue. As for the long term members - heard nothing but it wouldn't be surprising - when I joined Fota it was much the same with some the old lads feeling entitled. They get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭grip n rip

Cheers big drive, that's the feeling I get from Castlemartyr. I thought they would welcome a new member as I've heard they have less than 200 but apparently not!

I just like that course, always seem to play reasonably well there! There's something about lee valley I just don't like, can't put my finger on it. Muskerry is nice but hilly, quite busy there I always found, can be tough to get out I'd imagine.

I'll try to get out in blarney tomorrow and Bandon next weekend and see what they say.

Castlemartyr is a great course but they have big ideas on themselves no doubt about it ! If you are willing to pay douglas 6-7k why not join fota for 5 ? 27 holes and use of academy (I'm
    led to believe) also less of a drive than both bandon & castlemartyr .

As for blarney its an average course , feels like a big field where you just walk up and down all day , but in fairness the greens are always good .

Ya I suppose most clubs are like that. Older established members don't seem to like a high influx of new faces, they seem threatened by it or something!
    Also I think in certain clubs some members resent the fact that they may have paid high entrance fees while new members have no entrance fees and may be paying monthly by direct debit! But that's just the times we're in, clubs need to get the money! Except castlemartyr maybe, they seem to have enough if they don't bother following up people willing to give them €2,000 :)

I've seriously thought about joining fota grip n rip but Douglas just makes more sense for me long term. I can walk there from my house so I could have a pint after a round, leave the car and walk home.

grip n rip wrote: »
    C If you are willing to pay douglas 6-7k why not join fota for 5 ? 27 holes and use of academy (I'm
    led to believe)

Academy is included plus reduced fee for the hotel gym. Year sub includes all competition fees bar the the captains & presidents.

I have heard that the entrance fee might be going back up again soon - got a lot of new members the last 18months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭grip n rip

I've seriously thought about joining fota grip n rip but Douglas just makes more sense for me long term. I can walk there from my house so I could have a pint after a round, leave the car and walk home.

Priorities are right tippman , round of golf & a few pints :) hard to beat it !

Yeah thats a big bonus - would love to be able to nip out for 3 or 4 holes late in the evening. I agree about Lee Valley too - just can't seem to score in the fecking place! :) Obviously it must the course & not me!! :)

Fota might make a good temporary home, they have a scheme where you can take an existing members place for up to two years , you pay the full sub but the joining fee only applies if you want to stay after the two years.

Corkblowin wrote: »
    Academy is included plus reduced fee for the hotel gym. Year sub includes all competition fees bar the the captains & presidents.

I have heard that the entrance fee might be going back up again soon - got a lot of new members the last 18months.

Interesting that the entrance fee could rise in Fota. If anything you'd be thinking entrance fees would keep going down in clubs. But with new owners and the publicity of the Irish Open the place should do well

cairny wrote: »
    Fota might make a good temporary home, they have a scheme where you can take an existing members place for up to two years , you pay the full sub but the joining fee only applies if you want to stay after the two years.

That's an interesting scheme, hadn't heard about that. Is this in place of members who aren't presently playing for some reasons or another?

Cheers cairney, that scheme would be perfect for me if I didn't need the 2 signatures. How does it work, do I have to find a member who wants to give up or do the club have a list or something?

Cheers cairney, that scheme would be perfect for me if I didn't need the 2 signatures. How does it work, do I have to find a member who wants to give up or do the club have a list or something?

I think the club does all that for you, a friend of mine was considering it, the application form is same affiliate one they use for range members, no proposer / seconded required.

Best bet is to send them an e mail to Info at fotaisland.ie

They phoned my friend back within five minutes (he thought that was a bit needy :).

Sound for that Cairney, I'll give them a shout tomorrow. I'll let ye know how I get on. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ah you're a Maryborough Hill man ;-)

• Advertisement

I'm top of Coach Hill razorblunt so it's a 10 minutle walk.

To update ye, fota came back to me and said that scheme does exist but you do need 2 members to sign it and you'd have to pay the full sub now for 2014, that's €1,900, and only get til December out of it. Next January it's €1,900 again for the full year, after that you must pay the joining fee if you want to stay there.

Castlemartyr also came back to me and said I don't need the signatures of 2 members so I don't know where to go now! I'll prpbably go with Fota if I can get 2 signatures.

Cheers for teh help Lads.

Advertisement