Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,549 ✭✭✭✭walshb

JML/Ponce scrap was a belter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

walshb wrote: »
    JML/Ponce scrap was a belter.

A slight pity Ponce De Leon couldn't make it to the end of the round, he was taking punishment but while he was on his feet I felt he would have lasted the 10-15 seconds that were left. A 3rd fight will have to happen anyway.

Not a fight, but what seems like a very interesting program:

BBC2 2 @ 2320 hrs tonight.

The Art Of Boxing: Author and keen boxer Tony Parsons explores the place of boxing in cultural history and argues that the sport is a test of skill and courage that has little to do with violence and brutality, and far more to do with finding self-knowledge.

John Joe Nevin makes his pro debut in Boston tonight. Live on BoxNation from 0200 hrs Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Henno30

Garcia lost that fight...nearly exposed just like Broner was by Chino...Herrera deserves a rematch but that'll hardly happen

He might get Matthysse.

This should dampen down some of the Floyd-Garcia talk. Stylistically Floyd is a nightmare for Danny. He's a counterpuncher by nature. Against a faster counterpuncher like Floyd he would be lost, he'd look like Donaire against Rigo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Garcia lost that fight...nearly exposed just like Broner was by Chino...Herrera deserves a rematch but that'll hardly happen

I'd say it was at least a draw but no way Herrera lost. He had Garcia's number from the start and just caught him with the jab everytime.

I think Garcia deserved it. I'm still not sold on the guy. I think the Lucas win is a little inflated. Lucas, apart from heavy hands, is far too predictable. The one clean and solid shot he hit Garcia with had Garcia in real danger.

pac_man wrote: »
    I remember Matthysse was fighting with one eye for a good bit of that fight.

He was. It wasn't a dominant win. Deserved win, but still a very competitive fight.

Unless Matthysse scores a big win in the meantime, I don't see a rematch with Garcia happening. There's not much to gain for Garcia and it would be a 50-50 fight. He caught a huge break with that raking shot swelling up Matthysse's eye last time out, and he still would have lost if that knockdown hadn't been called.

I'd love to see it but I think there are better fights for Danny in career terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Henno30 wrote: »
    I'd love to see it but I think there are better fights for Danny in career terms.

Who would be the likely candidates for his next handful of fights do you think?

• Advertisement

I hope he moves to 147 and meets the likes of JMM or Manny or Bradley. Ruslan at 140 or 147 lbs would be the best match up for the fans. I would love to see Danny try out-box and out-gun a rampaging Ruslan.

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Who would be the likely candidates for his next handful of fights do you think?

Depends on whether or not he moves up. Peterson, or maybe even Broner, would be options at 140. At 147 there's Soto Karass, Josesito Lopez, Guerrero, Maidana, or a Khan rematch. Not sure about Guerrero or Maidana, but he'd be a favourite against the other three. Ultimately Porter or Thurman would be on the horizon you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

Henno30 wrote: »
    Unless Matthysse scores a big win in the meantime, I don't see a rematch with Garcia happening. There's not much to gain for Garcia and it would be a 50-50 fight. He caught a huge break with that raking shot swelling up Matthysse's eye last time out, and he still would have lost if that knockdown hadn't been called.

Thank God someone else remembers the swollen eye. I'm convinced if it wasn't for that swelling Matthyse would have won a close but clear decision. As it was, once it was opened again he began to get to Garcia much more regularly but time ran out on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Garcia would beat Matthysse if they fought again.

Johner wrote: »
    Garcia would beat Matthysse if they fought again.

You seem certain on this, and if I recall you were highly impressed with Garcia's win. I didn't think he was a convincing winner. Up till the eye swelling I think Lucas was level, or even ahead. The swelling caused him real issues. Yes, Garcia inflicted this, but it still really aided him. No injuries and both at their best I think Lucas has a very good chance. Very good.

walshb wrote: »
    You seem certain on this, and if I recall you were highly impressed with Garcia's win. I didn't think he was a convincing winner. Up till the eye swelling I think Lucas was level, or even ahead. The swelling caused him real issues. Yes, Garcia inflicted this, but it still really aided him. No injuries and both at their best I think Lucas has a very good chance. Very good.

I was impressed with Garcia, nobody actually gave him a chance in the fight before it. I thought it was a very good performance and I'd expect a close fight next time but I just think Garcia has a little more about him. Matthysse is a good fighter and very exiting but he's a bit one dimensional. He's always dangerous because of the power he has and of course he has a chance but I think Garcia would use that effective jab of his again and he also showed in the first fight that he can go toe to toe with Mattysse when needed. Mattysse while a good fighter continues to be overrated. Against better opposition and when not being able to get the KO he's been beaten 3 times.

I was impressed with Garcia, nobody actually gave him a chance in the fight before it. I thought it was a very good performance and I'd expect a close fight next time but I just think Garcia has a little more about him. Matthysse is a good fighter and very exiting but he's a bit one dimensional. He's always dangerous because of the power he has and of course he has a chance but I think Garcia would use that effective jab of his again and he also showed in the first fight that he can go toe to toe with Mattysse when needed. Mattysse while a good fighter continues to be overrated. Against better opposition and when not being able to get the KO he's been beaten 3 times.

Can't argue with any of that. Garcia is a better boxer.

Overrated in what way? The overwhelming majority of both the boxing public and media had him beating both Judah and Alexander. He lost narrowly to Danny Garcia while having one eye shut for half the fight, and still would have won in the cards if a dubious knockdown hadn't been called. It's not like everyone is saying Matthysse is going to knock out Mayweather. There's a difference between a popular fighter and an overrated fighter.

Let's look at Danny Garcia with same critical attitude. He beat a fossilised Morales, chinny Khan, was completely rattled going down the stretch against Judah (when did that last happen), narrowly beat the incredibly overhyped Matthysse with a good dose of luck, and got outboxed by Mauricio Herrera. This is the guy who was in the front cover of Ring Magazine, was hailed as the best opponent for Mayweather, and the next big thing in US boxing.

Where are the accusations of hype and overrating? This label only ever seems to get applied to foreign fighters for some reason and it's almost like some defence mechanism American bloggers invent when they're upset about attention being paid to boxers from overseas. An American fighter has to get his ass handed to him on a plate before they'll start to consider the hype question. And even if that does happen, like with Broner, they'll turn around and say that 'it was too soon' for him to 'step up'.

The hypocrisy and double standard is sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Garcia beats Matthyse more comprehensively in a rematch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Mike Perez vs Bryant Jennings has been ordered as WBC eliminator. Fight to take place this summer (purse bids in April if no agreement) The winner of Arreola vs Stiverne will face off against Deontay Wilder & the winner will then face Perez/Jennings. Nice to see a clear structure laid out & making the top guys fight to keep their title. Whoever is the winner at the end will be a deserving champion.

Mike Perez vs Deontay Wilder could be very possible IMO.

Vasyly Lomachenko is being given another shot at a World title by fighting Gary Russell for the WBO feather weight title. I'd be pretty annoyed if I was highly rated by the WBO & overlooked for Lomachenko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

pac_man wrote: »
    Don't rate Jennings at all and would say that this is an easy fight for Perez(depending on which Perez turns up).

He clearly was not the same Perez last time out as he was in the Abdusamalov fight. I think the nice break is what he needed so I am hoping that he bounces back.

Rumours coming out that Chavez Jr. vs Golovkin to fight on 12th July. Could be a cracking fight if a fit & motivated Chavez Jr. turns up

Great fight between Curtis Stevens and Tureano Johnson last night. Best middleweight bout I've seen in a while. Haven't seen Cunningham-Mansour yet but apparently it was a cracker as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

Klitschko v Leapai is on this Saturday night. Anybody wishing to prove their hardcore dedication to the sport, or offer penance for their sins can catch it on Eurosport2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Mod note Just did a quick tidy up of this thread as a few people had reported it lately.

Please use this JUST to notify any upcoming fights. Open a separate thread for any discussion please, or in fight commentary etc.

People get notifications and check in only to find banter..

..sorry :o

Gamboa - Crawford been announced for next month. Should be interesting.

Gamboa - Crawford been announced for next month. Should be interesting.

About time Gamboa gotta move on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Yeah this has been long overdue for Gamboa...I expect him to be back with a bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I hope he loses, the sport needs to get rid of the likes of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

A fight I'm looking forward to in the near future :

Adonis Stevenson v Andrzej Fonfara - 25th of May

This could be great !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Anything on next weekend? Champions league final that night aswell so hoping to watch match then a decent fight.

Advertisement