Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Elder Scrolls Online

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Thread renamed to "Elder Scrolls Online", since it is still seeing use beyond it's original intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm quite enjoying ESO.

Its not exactly breath taking but I've loved the TES games since Morrowind and its nice to be able to play a new version.

The not issue isn't as bad as WoW was, not by far and you can actively see the GMs getting rid of them too.

How it'll be at end game I don't know, I'll vote with my wallet when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Yeah same here, still enjoying it very much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've not even activated my code after the headstart :P

I will, just been busy with other games at the moment. I'd prefer the starting area's to be a bit quieter anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I'm playing since early access and I'm only level 20, I need to develop an attention span, I just end up exploring and crafting and wandering around!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Kiith wrote: »
    I've not even activated my code after the headstart :P

I will, just been busy with other games at the moment. I'd prefer the starting area's to be a bit quieter anyway.

Wish I had thought of that. Just moved recently and tried my internet through my phone, was playable so I activated my sub for ESO after the headstart and then realised the next day I was just drunk. Hasn't really been playable. So here I am, nearly 3 weeks into my sub and I've played maybe 20 hours over the headstart and then nothing. :/
    Hindsight is 20:20 I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Matt Firor update (pretty long read but nice signs for the future imo. :D

As we reach the four-week mark of ESO and are about to embark on our first major update, now is a good time to talk about what we’ve been doing for the game in the past month, what we’re working on currently, and what exciting new content and systems we plan to add over the next few months.
    First and foremost, as I posted in my mini-update last week, we’re working every day to reduce gold farming and botting, which detract from the gameplay experience for everyone. You may have seen Customer Support GMs in the game over the last week actively banning bots in dungeons. We’re also doing a lot of work behind the scenes to keep the game honest and will continue to do so. Please keep helping us by reporting botting and spamming activity in-game.
    We’re also continuing to fix bugs as we find them and as players report them to us. In a world as large as ESO’s, with endless variations of gameplay by players, it is impossible for QA to identify all bugs before launch, but we’re working hard to find and close them quickly. We’ve fixed many quest blockers, especially in zone, NPC guild, and main story quests, but we know there are still others. These affect far fewer players, but they’re annoying when encountered and we will address them. Fixes are getting patched in during our regular weekly updates, and of course Update 1 (see below) will contain many more.
    As you may have seen from the patch notes on PTS (Update 1 has been available to our PTS players for a week), the first update contains much more than just Craglorn, our first Adventure Zone. It also contains lots of tweaks and bug fixes above and beyond what we’ve been doing on the live servers. Keep in mind that the PTS patch notes aren’t final—more changes will be made as we continue testing. Here’s a summary of what’s new in Update 1:
    Craglorn, the first Adventure Zone, specifically created for groups of Veteran Rank 1 and above characters
    Trials, which are 12-player “raid”-type instances for Veteran Rank characters, featuring completion time leaderboards
    Death recap: you can now see who killed you and what ability they were using. This is invaluable information in dungeons, PvP, and Craglorn
    Underdog bonuses in Cyrodiil—you’ll get more Alliance Points while fighting for an alliance with a lower population in your campaign
    Animation tweaks and polish
    Combat ability balance changes and fixes
    Class ability tweaks and updates
    Content bug fixes, especially edge cases where quests could become de-synced
    And much, much more—check out the final patch notes when they are posted in the forums
    Update 1 will hit the live servers as soon as testing is completed on PTS. Stay tuned for news about the exact date you’ll be able to play it.
    ESO REVIEWS
    As those who follow ESO closely know, a wide range of reviews have been posted for the game, with scores ranging from 90s to 50s. ESO generates strong emotions in gamers—both positive and negative. While I obviously don’t agree with the more negative articles, the reviews are out there, and we read them to determine if there are legitimate complaints that we should address. We are gratified by the many positive fan comments—the love that those fans express for ESO motivates us to keep working to make this the best MMO ever. Some of the negativity in reviews comes from bugs. As you can see, we’re hard at work addressing them and will keep rolling out fixes. The important thing for you, the community, to know is that we’re looking at ALL the feedback (from critics and from players), we’re addressing any shortcomings, and we’ll continue to do so. This game will get better and better every week.
    The true measure of ESO is what players in the game think. We’re starting up several community programs that put you in the spotlight and ask you to submit your builds, guilds, screenshots, and more—the chronicles of your life in Tamriel—for us to share. Games like ESO are very, very large and have enormous breadth, and sometimes you’ll find that watching videos and reading stories by other players about the fun and interesting things they’ve done in-game will lead you in a different direction to try new things. You can find a link to information about some of these programs here.
    COMING IN FUTURE UPDATES
    Along with fixing bugs, combatting black market gold farmers, and balance tweaks, we have a long list of features and updates we’re working on that will be coming throughout 2014 and beyond. Here’s a sneak peek at what’s coming up. For most of these, we don’t know yet which update they’ll be in, but they’re under active development right now:
    A system that allows grouped players to see each other even when they’re in different phases
    A justice system—steal from and kill NPCs and deal with the consequences if you are caught
    Migration of European Megaserver to our European datacenter.
    Field of View (FOV) adjustment
    Armor dyeing and tinting
    Two new Veteran Dungeons: Crypt of Hearts and City of Ash
    New region of Craglorn with a new Trial (the Serpent)
    Increased ability to pick up items in the world
    Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood storyline and quests.
    Spellcrafting
    Horse Racing
    Dragonstar Arena—similar to Trials, but built for a group of four
    Improvements to fishing
    Crafting system improvements
    Improved Looking for Group system
    Better NPC facial animations
    Guild functionality updates: guild store interface updates, customizable guild insignias, tabards, and guild ranks, and Guild Kiosks—guild stores open to everyone that are available to the highest-bidding guild.
    Auto-leveling dungeons that level to your group leader
    Awards when you repeat dungeons
    Imperial City PvP dungeon
    We recognize that some of the launch issues—especially black market botting and spam, de-synced quests, and the disappearing bank slot bug—affected the early gameplay experience of a number of players. Fixing these problems required us to take the megaservers offline, costing players time in the game. In recognition of this experience and to show our gratitude to everyone who supported the launch, we are giving an additional five days of included game time to every ESO player who set up an active account prior to 8pm EDT Thursday May 1st and who are currently enjoying their 30 days of included game time. If you’re eligible to receive the five additional days, a confirmation will be sent to your account’s registered email address. For further details, please visit help.elderscrollsonline.com. This is a small gesture to show our thanks for being part of the ESO community while we work to make this extraordinary game and service even better.
    As we end this first month of our journey together, we want to express sincere appreciation to our loyal fans. Be assured that we are working diligently to keep ESO balanced, stable, and fresh for veteran players. We’ve gotten through our launch month well and are heading towards our first update soon. After that, expect many more good things in ESO. Thank you so much for your support and continued enthusiasm about the game—now I’m off to level my Nightblade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

NOXIN that's really hard to read!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Just give the link <_<;

LINK

This game is €21.99 on G2play.

Is it worth giving it a go or is it a waste of money?

• Advertisement

Dermighty wrote: »
    This game is €21.99 on G2play.

Is it worth giving it a go or is it a waste of money?

If you're into the Elder Scrolls, give it a go - for the questing / storyline of it... else, not really.

The devs ARE sorting with the gold seller and botters issue, seeing them less frequently now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Personally I've seen a lot less gold spamming in elder scrolls than anytime I've dabbled in wow. Inevitable in any game really.

I'm still enjoying it, nothing thats made me rage quit so far anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

I was 100% certain I was going to be picking this up on release, kept up to date with development...participated in the beta and thought it was a great little game.

Didn't participate in any form of group activity, and that's basically my focus point. From reading things online and following this thread I decided to not pick it up on release date like I had planned on.

At this moment in time I have no plans to pick it up, between the dupe bug which was apparently reported in beta, bots and gold sellers (?) it doesn't seem like a game I would be interested in for the long term. I previously played WoW 8 years solid up until 2 years ago and since then I've been looking for an MMO to get into (previously tried RIFT, it never held my attention). I had thought TESO was my new best fit for an MMO.

Just my thoughts so far. It doesn't appear to cater to my needs community / social wise from what I've seen. I hope that will improve in the future.

BeerWolf wrote: »
    If you're into the Elder Scrolls, give it a go - for the questing / storyline of it... else, not really.

The devs ARE sorting with the gold seller and botters issue, seeing them less frequently now.

I loved skyrim, disnt like the beta, felt it was very grey, laxkong colour. Has this changed? The combat felt discinnected, no umph in the strikes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I loved skyrim, disnt like the beta, felt it was very grey, laxkong colour. Has this changed? The combat felt discinnected, no umph in the strikes etc.

Yeah they fixed the feel of the combat. Other than gw1, its the most fun i've had in pvp. Leveling is great too, the quests are good enough that you want to read them! I'm not max level yet so don't know what the raids are like, but the team dungeons are pretty good.

I had the the exact same problems during the beta, I'm fairly certain I posted on this very thread about it.

It has gotten far better than the beta for this though. I'm happily levelling an Orc Dragon Knight and the combat is quite good, about as tedious as it is in any questing game, but I've come close to death and died quite a few times requiring a change in tactics making it far different to other MMOs like WoW, which hasn't seen a challenging level system since Classic.

As for the bots and spamming, it isn't nearly as bad now as it was and certainly not as bad as Rift or other MMOs at release. In credit to the GMs of ESO, they have done a great job on spammers and bots.
    The dupe bug should have been fixed before release, but was fixed quite some time ago.

Really, if you enjoyed the Elder Scrolls game, pick up the game for the €25 like I did and try it out. I think its worth for now and I'll see how I get in in a month.

Hugh improvement on bots alright. It's rare enough for me to see one these days. Spammers have improved also but not completely taken care of yet. (can you ever completely take care of them? :P )

I agree about combat during beta. Melee specifically. It was very dull. Hardly felt like you were doing anything at all however that was patched during late beta and became WAY better. I had started a melee in beta. Didn't like combat. Went caster and I was enjoying. After patch to fix the combat I was back at melee and never changed again. Love it now.

I love that the game has so much to do. It's part of the reason for my slow as hell leveling though. Quest objective is straight ahead.. Ohh look, something shiny to the left... gotta go check that out. Every damn time.

Anyway, if you find it on the cheap and are mildly curious, I'd recommend giving it a shot. Only you can decide if you enjoy it or not. You'll either sub or you won't after the month free time is up.

Bought it for €20 from G2play.net :)

Is there a guild for boards people?

Downloading the Mac client from the ESO website, I've a 100Mbit fibre line and it's crawling at around 1.5Mb/sec. Is there a faster way to get the client? Is this speed representative of latency in the game (i.e. is it laggy for EU servers)?

Downloading the Mac client from the ESO website, I've a 100Mbit fibre line and it's crawling at around 1.5Mb/sec. Is there a faster way to get the client? Is this speed representative of latency in the game (i.e. is it laggy for EU servers)?

Quite strange, I remember when I downloaded the game it only took about 1.5-2 hours. From scratch to patching to playing. Was pretty happy with that.

The EU server is still located in the US but it is due to be moved shortly. Doesn't cause any major issues though. Not for me at least and not for anyone I know.
    You might just be hitting an exceptionally busy period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Possible announcement soon...

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/05/08/the-elder-scrolls-online-ps4-and-xbox-one-reportedly-delayed

I reckon the console version will eventually be cancelled. Shame, really, as the game was clearly designed for a console. They will probably announce the cancellation at the same time as they announce ESO goes F2P. My best guess would be Xmas or the same day they announce Fallout 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Thats a pity I was hoping to get it on console. What are the specs like for PC? My laptop is fairly bad, I play wow on about mid settings

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

It's really well optimized, my laptop isn't that good either but I can run it smoothly on quite high settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Delay =/= Cancellation.

Never said it was cancelled. I said "I reckon it will eventually be cancelled". They have 6 months to try and figure out how well it will sell on consoles and if the numbers don't look great, I reckon they will cancel it. The game has been out over a month now and ZeniMax still haven't released their sales figures, which suggests they haven't been great. Releasing a game on consoles, especially an MMO will be difficult and accrue further expenses, if it won't sell enough then there is no point in porting it.

In fact, the idea of suggesting console players to buy the game now on PC and they can purchase their console version for a discounted $20, which will include a character transfer to that console, is an excellent way of measuring console sales. It is a good PR move, but if PC sales don't spike between now and the end of June there is good evidence to suggest console interest is not what they had expected. After 6 months they can then cancel the console version with nothing lost (gamers got to play it on PC anyway), and nothing gained.

I have to say, I am enjoying this game thus far.

ridiculous lag at the moment (100mb line)

I have to say, I am enjoying this game thus far.

ridiculous lag at the moment (100mb line)

Make sure you are connected to EU server and not us...

Launcher tools - settings. should be a dropdown box for it.

Not online atm so don't know if it's global.

Noxin wrote: »
    Make sure you are connected to EU server and not us...

Launcher tools - settings. should be a dropdown box for it.

Not online atm so don't know if it's global.

I am on the EU server (as if there's a difference when they're both ont he US continent :P).

The lag subsided and it was fine. I like the crafting.

I am on the EU server (as if there's a difference when they're both ont he US continent :P).

The lag subsided and it was fine. I like the crafting.

The EU server is in the US at the moment, though this is planned to change. It's a bit of an annoyance, I'm kinda off that there's no way of directly checking the MS/Ping in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Falthyron wrote: »
    Never said it was cancelled. I said "I reckon it will eventually be cancelled". They have 6 months to try and figure out how well it will sell on consoles and if the numbers don't look great, I reckon they will cancel it. The game has been out over a month now and ZeniMax still haven't released their sales figures, which suggests they haven't been great. Releasing a game on consoles, especially an MMO will be difficult and accrue further expenses, if it won't sell enough then there is no point in porting it.

In fact, the idea of suggesting console players to buy the game now on PC and they can purchase their console version for a discounted $20, which will include a character transfer to that console, is an excellent way of measuring console sales. It is a good PR move, but if PC sales don't spike between now and the end of June there is good evidence to suggest console interest is not what they had expected. After 6 months they can then cancel the console version with nothing lost (gamers got to play it on PC anyway), and nothing gained.

I'm 100% sure it will ship on next-gen.

Sales are also strong, boxed copies were sold out for long periods across the EU in bricks and mortar shops and Amazon.

All just uninformed speculation on your end.

Advertisement