Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lefty playing right handed guitar

• 21-04-2014 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

Just started around 3 weeks ago learning how to play guitar. I'm a lefty but decided to buy a standard right handed guitar. The thing is, I've no clue if this was a really bad idea by me. I just done it out of convenience and with the mindset that the techniques for learning guitar will be new to both hands either way, so no harm in just buying a standard one. The thing is, now that i'm struggling a bit (especially with chord changes), I can't help but think would I be better off with a lefty guitar. Anyone got any advice/opinions based on experience feel free to share. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Well just bare in mind every musician struggles when they first begin learning an instrument. It took me a LOT longer to fully master chord changes! In my opinion I would just stick with the right handed guitar. It will start to feel more "natural" as you progress, in my opinion.

I can't guarantee you what's best for you, maybe some more skilled guitarists here can answer. But honestly I say just stick with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

I do the same, lefty playing right handed. I only did it out of practicality initially.
    I wouldn't worry too much about struggling with the chord changes, you're teaching your hand to form different shapes than it's used to, while pressing down on strings. Time spent playing and muscle memory will eliminate that problem, trust me. I never thought I'd ever nail chord changes but now I don't even think of it.
    There's also the advantage of playing in a right hander's world, it makes it a lot easier when it comes to buying guitars, playing other people's guitars etc.
    Added to that, left handed plectrums will cost an arm and a leg, a guy I know just flips over right handed ones :P
    I hope this helps a bit, and best of luck learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

I remember reading somewhere that singer/songwriter Wallis Bird is left handed and plays right-handed guitar upside down? Anyway it hasn't slowed her down so stick with it and enjoy developing your own technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,222 ✭✭✭✭endacl

jordata wrote: »
    I remember reading somewhere that singer/songwriter Wallis Bird is left handed and plays right-handed guitar upside down? Anyway it hasn't slowed her down so stick with it and enjoy developing your own technique.

She is, but her adapted style is to overcome the fact that the fingers on her dominant hand were severed in an accident and reattached! Fair play to her.

Gary Moore was a better example. He credited his technique to the speed and strength of his dominant hand. I personally doubt that was so, but it makes for a cool story!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The best guitarist I know (not ever - just personally) is a lefty playing right-handed. I don't know why he started that way but it certainly didn't hold him back.

Keep at it, I say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement