Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple 7-1 stock split

Options
  • 24-04-2014 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Apple announced a 7-1 stock split yesterday, meaning the share price will more or less be divided by 7. It's at ~$525 at the moment so after the split it will be ~$75.

PP had a market where you could bet on where Apple's share price at year end. I manged to get it at $400 or less at 11/2. Will they pay out?

The terms say:

"Singles only: Applies to the share price listed for Apple after closing on 31st December 2014."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Reillyman wrote: »
    Apple announced a 7-1 stock split yesterday, meaning the share price will more or less be divided by 7. It's at ~$525 at the moment so after the split it will be ~$75.

PP had a market where you could bet on where Apple's share price at year end. I manged to get it at $400 or less at 11/2. Will they pay out?

The terms say:

"Singles only: Applies to the share price listed for Apple after closing on 31st December 2014."

Unless they've set out a specific condition to the bet regarding stock splits, they kind of have to, don't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

They changed the odds on my betslip to 1/500.

I rang them to complain and they first said it was due to a "technical error" with the price display. They said that when I placed the bet the "quoted price" was different to the "right price."

My argument was that what exactly is the "right" price at that time, is it the "intrinsic price" that retrospectively, would be the correct price at the time, or is the "right price" what PP thought internally it should have been at the time. There's a big difference.

Basically I asked for some kind of confirmation on when PP internally changed the price. If it was after the time of my bet I said they'll have to pay out, if they internally changed the price before the time of my bet, and it was displayed incorrectly on the website, then I'll accept the bet being voided.

They changed the odds on my betslip to 1/500.

I rang them to complain and they first said it was due to a "technical error" with the price display. They said that when I placed the bet the "quoted price" was different to the "right price."

My argument was that what exactly is the "right" price at that time, is it the "intrinsic price" that retrospectively, would be the correct price at the time, or is the "right price" what PP thought internally it should have been at the time. There's a big difference.

Basically I asked for some kind of confirmation on when PP internally changed the price. If it was after the time of my bet I said they'll have to pay out, if they internally changed the price before the time of my bet, and it was displayed incorrectly on the website, then I'll accept the bet being voided.

I'd be looking for the exact T&C of the bet at the time it was struck.

As I've discovered, it's not an issue with the terms of the bet, they will pay out to anyone who had bet on the share price being $400 or less before the announcement yesterday, likewise anyone who bet on above $400 will lose their bet.

The issue is the fact that at the time my bet was placed, they reckon the wrong price was displayed on the website, that it should have in fact being displayed at 1/500. My argument is that when does their "internal price" change (the price at which their trader/statistician/software calculates what they should be offering the price at).

There are three key time points in this;

1) t = 9.31pm when Apple announce the stock split.

2) 9.31pm < t < "The time their internal price is changed by trader/statistician/software"

3) "The time their internal price is changed" < t < "Time when the new price was displayed correctly on the website."

So basically, if the time I placed the bet falls in the third time-frame, I'm happily accept the 1/500, but if the time I placed the bet falls in the second time-frame, then I would expect that under all terms and conditions that I should receive the price of 11/2.

I misunderstood, I thought you placed the bet ages ago. If you placed the bet after Apple's announcement, 11/2 is quite clearly a mistake, so palpable error rules apply.

• Advertisement

So in that sense, say they realised around 10pm that the stock-split would massively decrease the share price, they can retrospectively go back on all bets placed between 9.31pm and 10pm and say "If we had realised at 9.31pm what was happening the price would have been 1/500, so that's what we're giving you."

Could the same logic not be applied to any market?

If for example there is a golf tournament coming up that has two big favorites. You hear on the news that, for example, a certain golfers close relative dies, so you know he won't be playing in the tournament the following weekend. You then bet on the other favorite, at say 2/1 who is now certain to win the tournament. Could the bookie say three hours later, "if we had realised three hours ago what affect this would have, the price would have been 1/50, so that's what we're giving you."

So in that sense, say they realised around 10pm that the stock-split would massively decrease the share price, they can retrospectively go back on all bets placed between 9.31pm and 10pm and say "If we had realised at 9.31pm what was happening the price would have been 1/500, so that's what we're giving you."

If for example there is a golf tournament coming up that has two big favorites. You hear on the news that, for example, a certain golfers close relative dies, so you know he won't be playing in the tournament the following weekend. You then bet on the other favorite, at say 2/1 who is now certain to win the tournament. Could the bookie say three hours later, "if we had realised three hours ago what affect this would have, the price would have been 1/50, so that's what we're giving you."
    Yes. They can pretty much do as they like.

Yes, although you usually also have the option to void the bet.

Pretty much, yes. For the rule to apply it needs to be a clear and obvious error.

This is a poor example as golfers would never shorten by any significant amount due to the withdrawal of a player. If it was a 2 or 3 ball, the bet would be void.

A more realistic example is betting a team in running after they have scored at the price they were before the goal. The price would rightfully be corrected.

Yes. They can pretty much do as they like.

It's an absolute balls in fairness if that's the case.

I 100% understand that they would rightly be entitled to do this in cases where there is insider information, or if an event such as a local football game has taken place a day early or something, because that is clearly an error.

In this case though the information was available to absolutely everyone, no side of the bet had any extra information or was in any way at a disadvantage/advantage, and it wasn't as if the bet was placed immediately as it was announced, it was at least 40 minutes later.

Pretty much, yes. For the rule to apply it needs to be a clear and obvious error.

Is ignorance to a publicly available fact considered an error in this case?

• Advertisement

Is ignorance to a publicly available fact considered an error in this case?

Yes of course. A very obscure market wasn't suspended in time.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

A very obscure market wasn't suspended in time

Not the 1st time that has happened! ;)

Would have thought it they changed the price and it didn't change on the site, it's tough as they were still offering the same price 40 mins after the announcement?

Not the 1st time that has happened! ;)

Would have thought it they changed the price and it didn't change on the site, it's tough as they were still offering the same price 40 mins after the announcement?

The price went from 12/1 to 8/1 to 11/2 which was what I managed to get it at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

The terms say:

surely still a bit of time before this can be settled anyway, no?

Advertisement