Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to USA and looking for advice

• 10-04-2014 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,
    I am moving the US and I'm looking for advice as to where to go to have the best chance of finding work. I will do pretty much any type of work but just need to know which city would be best. I'm starting in New York but I am willing to travel anywhere. I have been to Vegas, San Francisco and San Diego in the past but do not know what they are like for work. Would prefer to stay in NYC or close to it if anyone could give me some pointers I would very much appreciate it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

If you want to earn big bucks hit NY or Boston. Why not post in the US section!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DaraghMAC

I thought this was. Couldn't find any other US section!!

This post has been deleted.

Why would you be curious?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

DaraghMAC wrote: »
    Why would you be curious?

Because unless you have citizenship in the US, there are a finite number of ways you can move there to work. That list becomes much shorter if you're looking to move out there as speculatively as you appear to be ;)

• Advertisement

sdeire wrote: »
    Because unless you have citizenship in the US, there are a finite number of ways you can move there to work. That list becomes much shorter if you're looking to move out there as speculatively as you appear to be ;)

Listen i'm moving because I need to and i am doing what many Irish have been doing for the last century so please put your judgement to one side because if I had any other choice I would take it!!!!! I'm looking for help/advice not judgement!! How dare you come on here and judge people!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Hang on now a second.

You asked why someone was curious about the visa you'll be using, I gave a reason why they might be. I didn't judge you at all. I said you were speculative, which is inferred in your OP, but I didn't judge you. Even if I had, if it constituted solid advice on the matter I wouldn't see an issue, seeing as that's what you asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

DaraghMAC wrote: »
    Listen i'm moving because I need to and i am doing what many Irish have been doing for the last century so please put your judgement to one side because if I had any other choice I would take it!!!!! I'm looking for help/advice not judgement!! How dare you come on here and judge people!!!

You won't get into the states to easy. Unless you have a american passport, when the lottery visa thing or a company sponsors you to work in the states.

I'm years looking at moving over to be closer to the aunties over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Daragh,
    you were asked a legitimate question.
    Most work visas only allow you to work with a specific employer, so you would not have a choice where to live. New York is likely not your best place to start as it is very expensive.

Mod note:
    Remember that boards.ie does not condone, support, advice on or otherwise assists in illegal activity, and that includes illigal immigration to other countries. If your intention is to work in the USA illegally, stop this thread now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

I've lived in NYC for over 20 years. If you come here on a holiday visa and overstay for any significant amount of time you almost certainly not be admitted back into the States ever again. You will also have a TINY selection of jobs you can choose from. You will basically be competing with other illegal immigrants from places like Mexico and El Salvador for the lowest paid jobs with the worst working conditions. Think washing up in kitchens in disreputable restaurants or picking fruit for $5 an hour. If you're lucky, cause to be honest you don't fit the demographic of the average illegal worker here (i.e. you're not Hispanic) so most employers who hire such people won't even consider you. Neither will the guys who own Irish pubs here, why should they? There's just too much to lose and there's tons of well qualified legal candidates for them to choose from.

Sorry to tell you this, but since 9/11 there is no easy way in or out of this country without being recorded by the INS, and as I say, no employer will take a risk on you unless you have something like a really strong family connection. If you want to risk it and try your luck I wish you the best or ludk - sincerely - I know what it's like to have a dream. I'd just strongly recommend considering other options, e.g. Australia, Canada, Europe, etc.

Advertisement