Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Granada Mk1 Coupe

• 16-03-2014 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭

Legend has it that there were just 12 of these sold new in Ireland, can anyone verify this or have details of the 12 sold?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

XID352 was one of these, and is still in existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

I posted a pic of one of these, spotted on Nassau Street, about two years ago. It's somewhere in the "Today I saw a Classic" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mk1 gran

Meant to be around 15. I have an irish one just under restoration at moment. Am trying to find out if the rest survive and some were last heard of in cork somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Arizona bronze was my fav colour. Love the styling and the 3.0 essex at 3k rpm

My one is arizona bronze :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Drove a bronze one from Manchester to the West a few years ago it didn't miss a beat, it did a few days later when it burst a water hose half mile from home. Nice cars with plenty grunt, had a gxl 3.0 back in the 80s still have the gas conversion off it.

My one is wfi 1974 i think. There were two in Limerick a plum and silver wti and vti were the regs if I remember. Saw them in a shed some years ago, stripped for restoration. Another was there that some one tried to set fire to. Burnt the interior somewhat. This was some years ago.

My one is pri reg. A friend drop in picture to me of few the irish coupe from years ago when he had em. Wzf one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

A friend of mine had one two about 10 years ago. Nearly sure it was bronze but dont recall the reg. I have seen a "modified" bright orange one around and another yellow one with black Cobra stripes. Also saw two in Newmarket square about 10 years ago, they both looked mid/part/failed resto cars.

Bright orange one scrap now as I got bits off it. Yellow one a UK car and for sale on done deal at the minute. Most da cork reg coupe were same colour as mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

The modified bright orange car that is now scrapped was an original Irish car.

I was told that alot of them were Cork registered by a Ford dealer, possibly CAB as demonstrators so they would get a reg bonus from Ford.

The chap in Newbridge that owned the one used in Ballykissangel had five of the Irish cars and was able to account for ten of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭SeanSouth

The Managing Director of Ford in Cork (Mr Paddy Hayes) had one at the time. Bronze with the black roof. If I'm not mistaken the reg was TZF XXX

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I was told that alot of them were Cork registered by a Ford dealer, possibly CAB as demonstrators so they would get a reg bonus from Ford.

The chap in Newbridge that owned the one used in Ballykissangel had five of the Irish cars and was able to account for ten of them.

.........was this a bronze one too previously ? Anyone know why it was scrapped ?

Think it either white or green because that what colour inside of doors I got were. The car was rotten and it looked awful. My coupe is a arizona bronze and the other 3 cork reg coupe are same colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

XZF 63 was a metallic blue (Sapphire Blue?) Mk 1 coupe that the MD of CAB in Cork drove for a few years.

I have a picture of XZF xxx in arizona bronze

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

If these posts are accurate we are up to 8:

XID 352
    WFI***
    WTI***
    VTI***
    ***PRI
    WZF***
    TZF***
    XZF63

Surely there were more Dublin reg'd ones.

ZIE
    UZF
    CIK
    are the other. Dunno what da rest are.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭John Larkin

mb1725 wrote: »
    If these posts are accurate we are up to 8:

XID 352
    WFI***
    WTI***
    VTI***
    ***PRI
    WZF***
    TZF***
    XZF63

Surely there were more Dublin reg'd ones.

I believe that I saw *** PRI on display in one of the windows of Brown Thomas in Grafton Street in the summer of 1975. (BT was then located on the opposite side of the street --- where M&S is now.) I think it was metallic blue.

810 PRI is arizona bronze and I know that because it in my shed awaiting restoration

• Advertisement

Probably a good idea to post photos of any of the coupes so that when searched can be found together.

I saw those granadas there. I bought one, others were sold before I got there. Think there was 4 in total. The limerick cars were there of I remember.

IMG-20130817-WA0001_zpso1suf7x1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

There was one (White) in Sligo back in the day, may have been REI 777 I think!!!
    It belonged to a Mrs Russell whose family owned John Gilbride & Co., then the main Ford dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

shineon23 wrote: »

A buddy of mine used to own that. He got rid of it after loosing interest when the oil pump drive failed at half two in the morning. It spread bits of it's conrods all over the roads. Structurally it was OK but cosmetically not top-notch.

It was a very, very comfy car for a long journey and I know that the next owner got it "professionally" restored.

• Advertisement

I look at that car last summer while I was picking up another granada of him. I sold him an engine and box 4 it if he did put it in or not I don't know. she seem solid enough and be nice car if finish right.

Advertisement