Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coming home to teach

Options
  • 03-04-2014 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Although the title sounds like the actions of a madman, I need to come home desperately.

I've been teaching second level in Newcastle, Sunderland and the Canary Islands for the past few years and I need to come home to my family.

I was wondering what are the chances of me getting sufficent hours to live on and how would I go about this. My main subject is Business and Economics but I've moved towards Maths and Science recently.

I hear they are changing the Junior cycle and introducing ICT as a subject proper. Ive taught ICT in the UK.

If anyone can help me out I'd be delighted

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭smallgarden

While you might have experience in these areas you'd need to check with the teaching council if you're qualified to teach all these subjects. Job prospects vary per year. It depends on where you want to work, how far willing to travel etc. There are very few teaching jobs in Ireland with lots of qualified teachers out of work. Also there are lots of teachers on part time hours, many of whom income would have been supplemented by s&s scheme.
    On the plus side you have gained more experience while out of Ireland which will stand to you. Id advise applying for everything and hoping for the best. Be prepared for going to lots of interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

novanufc wrote: »
    Although the title sounds like the actions of a madman, I need to come home desperately.

I've been teaching second level in Newcastle, Sunderland and the Canary Islands for the past few years and I need to come home to my family.

I was wondering what are the chances of me getting sufficent hours to live on and how would I go about this. My main subject is Business and Economics but I've moved towards Maths and Science recently.

I hear they are changing the Junior cycle and introducing ICT as a subject proper. Ive taught ICT in the UK.

Thanks
    Are you registered with the teaching council? If not that May take a while. There is a list of degrees on their website that tells you what you are qualified to teach.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Registration/AutoQuals/Autoquals%20updated%2010th%20January%202012.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

again, its the TC that will dictate your subjects.
    Which Island did you teach on can I ask? Some very nice schools over there

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gambelore

Hi there.

Maths is definitely your best chance of getting a teaching job in Ireland at the moment.

There is big demand due to the new syllabus.

As others have mentioned, check with the TC to see are you qualified to teach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Why would the introduction of a new syllabus mean that there is more demand for Maths teachers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

gambelore wrote: »
    Hi there.

Maths is definitely your best chance of getting a teaching job in Ireland at the moment.

As others have mentioned, check with the TC to see are you qualified to teach it.

The first group will be qualified this summer from the free maths course so I wouldn't bank on that. My friend is doing it and she tells me the majority of people on her course don't have jobs with their own hours in fact a number of them don't even have jobs this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Hi there.

I'm a recently qualified Maths teacher and that's just not true. Big demand is a very misleading phrase to use.

There is a demand but not a shortage.....big difference. As I have said before, maths, Irish, home ec, French are in demand but it doesn't mean schools will take just anyone on. I see maths teachers idle because they are not suitable to teaching in general or can be in location of no demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi there.

Why? Maths is a core subject. There will still be the same number of students studying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

novanufc wrote: »

Thanks

What do you mean by the bit I've highlighted above. Are you qualified in maths and science? Or are you currently studying both with a view to gaining a qualification, because for teaching council purposes you're either qualified or you're not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

If you plan on returning to Ireland to teach keep in mind that the teaching council are updating requirement for teaching which come into place for January 2017. If you're not registered and plan to teach in Ireland in future it's best to register with the teaching council in next couple of years before changes come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

My subjects are Business, Economics and Accounting and let me tell you - there are very very few jobs (I could count the number that have come up since September on one hand....hang on, maybe 1 finger!!) - all depends on how far you're willing to travel.

However, there are some other options - grinds, grind schools and if you have a Masters you could probably get a job in one of the private colleges doing lecturing hours (that's what I am currently doing - I lecture in the evenings).

Again, the Teaching Council is your first port of call - and they can be a total total pain to deal with....

highly1111 wrote: »
    My subjects are Business, Economics and Accounting and let me tell you - there are very very few jobs (I could count the number that have come up since September on one hand....hang on, maybe 1 finger!!) - all depends on how far you're willing to travel.

unfortunately no surprise, particularly as business studies degree is fairly common and can be already found combined with other more common subjects

Advertisement