Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grand National betting hints

Options
  • 02-04-2014 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭

That time of the year again.

For those who don't normally back horses but will be having a bet on the
    Grand National on Saturday, a few tips for you.
    (No point in putting in Horses thread as most on there would know)

"Main" Online & shop bookies
    Ladbrokes, Hills, Coral, Betfred & Tote UK (owned by Betfred) are only 4 places. :mad:
    So if you back a horse e/w which most people will, you won't get paid if it finishes 5th.

Bet365, Boyles, Paddy Power, Skybet, Stan James & Sporting Bet are all 5 places. :)

Bet Victor are 6 places. :D

Check the prices of the horse(s) before placing the bets as there are some major differences.

Win Only means the horse has to win to get paid.
    E/W (Each way means the horse has to be placed to get paid (see below for place differences).
    E/W costs twice the stake as it's in effect 2 bets, a win and a place bet.

Monbeg Dude
    14/1 Ladbrokes 4 places, 14/1 Boyles 5 places, 10/1 Bet Victor 6 places

5 places is the norm so you shouldn't back a horse at the same odds
    with a bookie only offering 4 places.

Bet Victor (6 places), their prices will reflect the extra place.

Tidal Bay
    Bet Victor 12/1, 14/1 with most others paying 5 places, Sporting Bet (5 places) 16's.

Burton Port
    20/1 Ladbrokes, Coral, Betfred, Hills all 4 places,
    20/1 Paddy Power, Boyles - 5 places,
    16/1 Bet Victor 6 places.

All current prices can be found here:
    http://www.oddschecker.com/grand-national/winner

When backing a horse(s) in a shop, ALWAYS, ALWAYS write the price of the horse at the time on the slip.
    This is the worst price you will get on the horse.
    (MOST) bookies are guaranteed prices on horses, so if the price goes from
    say 10/1 to SP (starting price) 12/1 and you have 10/1 on your slip, you will get paid at 12/1 SP.
    If it goes to 8/1 SP, you will get paid at the 10/1 you wrote on your slip.
    The main horses will be SP lower then early prices so take the price at time of placement.
    This is due to the liabilities the bookmaking industry will have on them especially relevant as a lot of people will not write the price on it (obviously won't have read this!) so instead of paying thousands of punters at 10/1, then could instead pay them at 9/1.
    That will save them millions.
    A lot of bookies will also want to be Best Price on some of the main horses during the morning so shop around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Disappointing to see Aurora's Encore isn't listed, she won last year at 66/1 and I had the life changing amount of €2.50 each way on it. Oh well. Will have to pick something similar this year.

Good post btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Ladbrokes are now offering 5 places but in Irish Shops only (amazing what a bit of competition will do!) :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Is there a difference between the percentage of odds paid ew for say 2nd and 5th?,it probably wont make any difference to me after my 20ew on The Package hacks in at 28s lol.

Also I think some of them are giving money back from yesterday on ante post bets placed before saturday if they are a non runner,open to correction on that.If true it should maybe taken in to consideration as well if betting before the day as thoroughbreds are fragile.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Bet365 doing a fantastic offer for anyone with an existing account (ie opened before today). Refunding half stake on all each way bets placed between today and noon on Saturday up to €125.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

tipptom wrote: »
    Is there a difference between the percentage of odds paid ew for say 2nd and 5th?,it probably wont make any difference to me after my 20ew on The Package hacks in at 28s lol.

Also I think some of them are giving money back from yesterday on ante post bets placed before saturday if they are a non runner,open to correction on that.If true it should maybe taken in to consideration as well if betting before the day as thoroughbreds are fragile.

Nope. Whether you're second or fifth you'll still get a quarter of the odds. Assuming you're with a bookie who is paying five places although anyone who is not really shouldn't be calling themselves a bookie unless they're going a far superior price to everyone else.

• Advertisement

BetFred paying 6 places until 5.30 Friday (prices same as most others)!

As Collie D already mentioned the 365 offer is the Best Offer announced so far.

A lot of the better bookie have been NRNB for a while now.
    Most of the Main English bookies only went this week (Lads, Hills & Coral).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

okidoki987 wrote: »

A lot of the better bookie have been NRNB for a while now.
    Most of the Main English bookies only went this week (Lads, Hills & Coral).
    It was Ladbrokes I saw boasting about it.

Just a pity it was 3 weeks after Paddy Power and Boyles.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Beast of an offer from Betbright, my new bookie of choice. Paying 6 places, refunding second place finishers and a 25 risk free bet for new customers - if you lose, you get a full cash refund. See the banner on their blog to avail of this (main site only offering 20 risk free)

Also, I've noticed SportingBet are pretty much best price for most horses in the GN, only paying 5 places though.

In terms of picks, i fancy Any Currency and Swing Bill as each-way stabs-in-the-dark for the race itself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dunston

That 365 offer is unbelievable, back 5 diff horses 25ew and your guaranteed ha;f your stake back worst case scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Yes, pretty savage offer alright.. I'm sure there's a way to back the entire field (44 horses) at a stake of 250, get your 125 back and turn a guaranteed profit. provided the top 5 faves don't win.

The more mathematically gifted among us could probably run some sort of algorithm on it - doubt B365 would be too happy to pay out though!

Betfred offer finishes tonight.
    The reason (I guess) for that is, in the morning Coral, Hills & Ladbrokes will go
    best price the top 5/6 horses as they are only 4 places (Lads Ire are 5 places)
    up to 10am.
    Makes them look better, Stan James & maybe Betfred will follow.
    Bet365 will price match in the morning from 10am, you also get the Free bet of
    you back a winner at 4/1 on C4.
    So if you back the winner of the GN, you also get a Free bet.
    365 are also Guaranteed prices so best time to avail of their offer is
    after 10am but make sure you take the price.

Just noticed Bet365 have cut their prices of the top horses in the betting.
    They were 12's Monbeg Dude and 14's Long Run last night.

Advertisement