Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

• 30-03-2014 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

It was a tight Scarlets match (ending in a 32-30 away defeat for Connacht) that caused the original thread to reach 10,000 posts and its retirement age. Strangely enough, while Scarlets took 5 table points from the match, Connacht managed to take two, securing both types of bonus point. I haven't seen 7 table points being awarded for a single match before!

All talk Connacht-related in this thread, whether it's transfer news, talking about players you would like to see come to Connacht, where to go drinking after the match (O'Connells apparently) and anything else Connacht-related.

For discussion of matches that have their own match threads, please post there and not here.

Original thread here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Big day for the province.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,385 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Robbie Henshaw reminds me of Rob Kearney and that's no bad thing. Strong in contact and a good strike runner. I think he's faster than the Leinsterman though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭freyners

We did well to get back into it, priestlands kicking was shoicking though so i dont think we deserved a win overall

Clegg wrote: »
    Robbie Henshaw reminds me of Rob Kearney and that's no bad thing. Strong in contact and a good strike runner. I think he's faster than the Leinsterman though.

Henshaw is a better tackler imo, especially 1 on 1

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

The Munster game should be cracker if they keep up the momentum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I really can't wait for next season. So exciting. Even if we do end up in Challenge Cup I think we could more than challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

4th TBP in a row

Robbie and McShaz were phenomenal today

Parks and Griffin missed a lot of tackles i felt

Muldoon didnt communicate well with the ref, their LH was burrowin in on Rodney and White all match (touch judge should have spotted it)

Marimon still a try machine

Carr made some great breaks, he starting to back himself again which good to see

We under use Henshaws right boot, should have him take kicks to touches come pen time over Parks

JHW has to learn not to get isolated

These few of my immediate thought, think will have few scoops

wprathead wrote: »
    4th TBP in a row

Robbie and McShaz were phenomenal today

Parks and Griffin missed a lot of tackles i felt

Muldoon didnt communicate well with the ref, their LH was burrowin in on Rodney and White all match (touch judge should have spotted it)

Marimon still a try machine

Carr made some great breaks, he starting to back himself again which good to see

We under use Henshaws right boot, should have him take kicks to touches come pen time over Parks

JHW has to learn not to get isolated

These few of my immediate thought, think will have few scoops

Griffin was poor defensively but some of his passes were beautiful today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Next year needs to be all about the Pro 12 for Connacht now that it has meaning as a league in terms of European qualification. Treat the Challenge Cup as a secondary competition and if it goes well so be it, but top six in the league would be a real long term statement of intent and without the distraction of the Heineken Cup it is more than achievable with this team, especially with the likes of Heenan, Poolman and maybe Clarke and also one or two new players to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

its_phil wrote: »
    Griffin was poor defensively but some of his passes were beautiful today.

He does pass well although the time Leader was put in touch, if Griffin had out it thru the hands rather than skip pass it was a certain try.

Some very good offloading from backs and forwards

First signing for next year needs to be a defence coach.

• Advertisement

He does pass well although the time Leader was put in touch, if Griffin had out it thru the hands rather than skip pass it was a certain try.

Some very good offloading from backs and forwards

First signing for next year needs to be a defence coach.

I think he actually took his eye off the ball there and it bobbled in his hands which gave the half-second needed by the Scarlets to press up forcing the skip, notice how Leader had to stop to receive the ball too.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

21 points gained out of a possible 25 in the last 5 matches is a very very decent return.

Unfortunately our losses early on in the season costing us now however in todays game we kept going at them for the full 80 and it would have been criminal not to get something out of that scarlets game.

Scarlets were very beatable today and went asleep for a few periods in the game.

Hopefully we can keep picking up points starting with Ulster next weekend who were very average against cardiff blues this weekend. Expect a backlash up in Ravenhill probably...........

C'mon Connacht !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Disappointing not to get the win today, but we definitely had a good run at it. Things are looking up for the future.

Griffin is going to be a big loss but Henshaw is definitely becoming the player he has the potential to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I hope they (be it Connacht and/or Joe) keep Henshaw in one position for the most part and don't move him around constantly a la Earls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I hope they (be it Connacht and/or Joe) keep Henshaw in one position for the most part and don't move him around constantly a la Earls.

I think he can move between 13 and 15 okay, just keep him off the wing.

TBF Henshaw played 60 minutes at 13 last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

fantastic performance. one of most entertaining in the pro12 this year. scarlets were lightening into the breakdown which caused huge headaches but our back line showed some of the most inventive play of the game. it would have been a big ask to take the points in scarlets home but it wasn't from lack of trying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Well for the remainder of this season he will play 15 unless McSharry or Griffin get injured but come next season, I expect to see him at 13 every week as Griffin is leaving.

From an Ireland point of view, I think it would be daft to try him anywhere other than 13. We have Kearney and Payne (come November), two world class full backs and a gaping hole at 13 with no clear replacement.....seems a straightforward one to me!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ideally you'd want him to play the position he's best in and not what Ireland need.

Just watching him today and if he can improve or get close to Kearney's aerial ability and positioning I think he could overtake him for Ireland as his running and tackling game seems to be very good.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Ideally you'd want him to play the position he's best in and not what Ireland need.

Just watching him today and if he can improve or get close to Kearney's aerial ability and positioning I think he could overtake him for Ireland as his running and tackling game seems to be very good.
    I dont think his aerial ability is in question, its what impressed me most first time I got to see him play. His positioning could use some work, as does his general line defense, one on one he is fine but can get dragged out of position at times

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

No I wouldn't say it is either but in terms of Ireland Kearney's aerial ability is amazing.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    No I wouldn't say it is either but in terms of Ireland Kearney's aerial ability is amazing.

In terms of aerial ability, one of the greatest in the game. Even when he wasn't in good form last year that stayed top notch

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Any idea who will be playing at 15 for Connacht next season.

To me the options seem to be layden/leader stepping up or toh moving position or someone new coming in.

Any idea who will be playing at 15 for Connacht next season.

To me the options seem to be layden/leader stepping up or toh moving position or someone new coming in.

TOH at 15 is what seems to be the safest option, i have my doubts about his defence for that position personally but in attack he can do damage there

Layden if he can remian injury free and regainn the form he had around the u-20's would a shoo in

Leader is the opposite of TOH in a way, big strong lad in defence and the air but is very conservative in attack

Dont think 15 is a place we should recruit, we desperately need another 9, OH and centre cover first

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

freyners wrote: »

Dont think 15 is a place we should recruit, we desperately need another 9, OH and centre cover first

Porter is supposedly coming in at 9. Can't see him being better than the current back ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

That was some game today alright. Great attacking back play from both sides but I think it's fair to say the great attacking was helped by some diabolical defending, the worst being about 3 missed tackles in a row on Scarlets players on their goal line resulting in the ball being worked all the way up the other end for a try.

Was very proud of Connacht though, the game looked over when it went 25-6 and it was some effort (and some great play) to get back in it.

Didn't think the ref helped us either, couple of brutal calls, particularily the one against Marmion with 2 minutes to go. But one thing I wanted to ask see if anyone else noticed as I haven't seen it mentioned by anyone here or by the commentators at the time. Remember Marmion's try from the quick tap? Did anyone notice that Paterson put his left hand in his pocket about to yellow card the Scarlets player just before Marmion went for the line? After the try was awarded the yellow seemed to be forgotten about by the ref and wasn't mentioned by anyone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

That was some game today alright. Great attacking back play from both sides but I think it's fair to say the great attacking was helped by some diabolical defending, the worst being about 3 missed tackles in a row on Scarlets players on their goal line resulting in the ball being worked all the way up the other end for a try.

Was very proud of Connacht though, the game looked over when it went 25-6 and it was some effort (and some great play) to get back in it.

Didn't think the ref helped us either, couple of brutal calls, particularily the one against Marmion with 2 minutes to go. But one thing I wanted to ask see if anyone else noticed as I haven't seen it mentioned by anyone here or by the commentators at the time. Remember Marmion's try from the quick tap? Did anyone notice that Paterson put his left hand in his pocket about to yellow card the Scarlets player just before Marmion went for the line? After the try was awarded the yellow seemed to be forgotten about by the ref and wasn't mentioned by anyone.

Yeah, noticed that, it was for Liam Williams off his feet in the ruck stealing the ball. Definitely was going for the card til Marmion took the quick tap and didn't go back for the infringement afterwards, probably forgot about it while the TMO was deciding. Very inconsistent ref anyway, but that was a definite yellow that should have been given.

Buckley gets POTM

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/buckley-voted-player-of-the-month/#ConnachtNews

Has made some turnaround this year after been disciplined early on. Wilko's retirement puts massive pressure on him to deliver week in and out now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Seen as it is a new thread I don't wanna start with the negativity of yore or tin foil hat wearing but have to say the RTÉ coverage was a joke surrounding Connacht yesterday.

The Connacht match is only mentioned with about 2 mins before kick-off (I understand there is no Against the Head to discuss the Rabo, but the entire build up was the Leinster-Munster game and new European Cup).

The panel clearly had very limited knowledge of the Connacht team -This post on the Connacht Clan site by phatguerilla summed it up for me:
    I thought some of the criticism of connacht by the panel displayed a lack of awareness from the lads which isn't really acceptable when its your job to be informed. Yeah we all would have liked to have seen connacht jackal for the ball more Shaggie, but with no 7's left to play and an 8 as flanker who has about a half dozen starts it wasn't going to happen.
    Maybe make some sort of acknowledgement of how well he's done rather than just dismissing the backrow. If TOD and every other 7 at munster were missing for instance the panel would at least have known who was and wasn't familiar with the position and whether they were filling in or not.

At half time Daire O'Brien asked "Does anyone see a Connacht win?" and they all had a giggle - was pretty childish thing to do.

Now I don't want to be playing any daft "de meeja are against us - poor us" card but it is frustrating at times..

/rant

Delighted for Buckley, well deserved POTM award:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

wprathead wrote: »
    Seen as it is a new thread I don't wanna start with the negativity of yore or tin foil hat wearing but have to say the RTÉ coverage was a joke surrounding Connacht yesterday.

The Connacht match is only mentioned with about 2 mins before kick-off (I understand there is no Against the Head to discuss the Rabo, but the entire build up was the Leinster-Munster game and new European Cup).

The panel clearly had very limited knowledge of the Connacht team -This post on the Connacht Clan site by phatguerilla summed it up for me:

At half time Daire O'Brien asked "Does anyone see a Connacht win?" and they all had a giggle - was pretty childish thing to do.

Now I don't want to be playing any daft "de meeja are against us - poor us" card but it is frustrating at times..

/rant

Delighted for Buckley, well deserved POTM award:cool:

I also caught the coverage at half time and remember remarking that their tone was a bit condescending. Somebody even remarked that it's great that Connacht are in a position now to be providing other provincial fringe players regular game time.

Advertisement