Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Edge of Tomorrow (Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt, Bill Paxton!)

Options
  • 20-08-2013 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Photos on the facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/EdgeofTomorrowMovie

Tom Cruise youtube channel has the comic con 2013 panel:

They had some footage at that comic con panel but it's not included in that youtube video and I can't find it online.

Looks like it's gonna be really action packed. Liked Bill Paxton doing some quotes while on the panel.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's a trailer out for this, and sure enough involves a lot of Tom Cruise running and using a motorbike. To be fair it has an intriguing premise, looks like it might be interesting and seems vaguely international in scope for a change. Then again, Cruise's last vehicle, Oblivion, looked interesting too & that didn't turn out so hot...

Irish flag at 1:35 haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Looks interesting. I like Cruise in his sci-fi/action roles (Oblivion, Minority Report, War of the Worlds) and this looks like it's got an decent premise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Such a MAN.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

looks ok to me.

though cant help thinking it looks like oblivion crossed with saving private ryan. im really starting to wich cruise would do a film without a female lead in it as there all stating to look the fecking same now.

still i can see myself going to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Of the three trailers released over the past two days (Edge of Tomorrow, Godzilla & Jupiter Ascending) this is the one that has me most excited. Tom Cruise and sci-fi is always a great combination. I like the premise of this movie and the action looks impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

So, Groundhog Day, but with SciFi and violence?

I'm interested.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sci-fi, mechs, Emily Blunt.

Yeah, ticks all my boxes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Little clips towards the end have the bad guys looking a little like the squidies from the matrix trilogy

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dat power armour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

12 monkeys/Groundhog day/Oblivion mix
    looks decent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Looks very promising. As mentioned Emily Blunt is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

The invasion might have gone better if they kept their helmets on.

Looks like another middle of the road generic advertising laiden forgettable blockbuster.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I think it looks good.

I generally like Cruises films. Even films like Jack Reacher that wasn't well received I really enjoyed and the the idea looks decent. I'd say at worst it will be watchable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I find Cruise to be one of the most enjoyable earnest actors to watch.

He never gives anything less than his all. I don't think anybody could ever say he's phoned in a performance.

The fact that he gets so much ****/hate for his personal life/struggles and still manages to function like a human being makes him all the more interesting/human. I admire his "let them hate attitude", his beliefs aren't that out there compared to most person's.

"If we had a pulpit and an audience, we'd all look mad men"

He just turns up and does the work, so easy to work, with nothing but enthusiasm for his fellow actors and the material, and it almost appears fake and weird, but he really does seem to be that positive/gregarious 100% kind of a person, the kind of a guy you'd love to have your back.

He's an guy I'd love to talk too.

Loved Oblivion, one of the only sci-fi movies this year that was about the people/atmosphere and not the cgi. It was inspiring to see most of all done for real too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

"Groundhog Day" with guns and aliens?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought this movie had another name :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought this movie had another name :confused:

It did; it's apparently based on a Japanese comic by the name "All You Need is Kill", which I can't decide is brilliant because or despite of the bad grammar :D As you can presume, the characters and setting were westernised in adaptation, though beyond that I know nothing of the comic...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 expatin africa

looks good, love the music on the trailer, sorry this should have gone under the clip

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

pixelburp wrote: »
    It did; it's apparently based on a Japanese comic by the name "All You Need is Kill", which I can't decide is brilliant because or despite of the bad grammar :D As you can presume, the characters and setting were westernised in adaptation, though beyond that I know nothing of the comic...
    I would give them credit for taking a comic as source material rather than simply remaking a Japanese film.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

looks good, love the music on the trailer, sorry this should have gone under the clip

Very Battle For LA-- ish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

He’s a soldier, a pretty good future-soldier but he has a crisis of confidence and can’t future soldier anymore. But he’s lucky enough to meet a beautiful woman and she restores his confidence and he becomes a pretty good future-soldier again ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Well, I'd watch 2 hours of Emily Blunt eating Corn Flakes, so sign me up for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,280 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

New teaser trailer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

And here's a new trailer.

Mild spoiler abound, for those that care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

CatInABox wrote: »
    And here's a new trailer.

Mild spoiler abound, for those that care.

Cheers for the heads up, this looks like it has a nice blend between a cool concept, decent action and great visuals. Would like to avoid spoilers on this one, I was sold after the first trailer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I'm avoiding this trailer, apparently there's a fair few spoilers in it.

The verge have an article about this trailer, and the headline is: "New 'Edge of Tomorrow' IMAX trailer tells you the entire story in less than four minutes".

I'm also avoiding reading that article.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

This doesnt look good in the trailer, will have to wait and see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'm avoiding this trailer, apparently there's a fair few spoilers in it.

Thanks for the heads-up. I wish more people would warn us in advance when posting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

The reviews are coming in and most agree this is pretty brilliant, which is a surprise apprently. I love this kind of sci fi, do it's good to see something like this review so well, that isn't a obvious blockbuster. Only 1 bad review so far out of 10.

http://filmschoolrejects.com/reviews/edge-of-tomorrow-review.php

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/reviewsnews.php?id=118641

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/review-edge-of-tomorrow-starring-tom-cruise-emily-blunt-and-bill-paxton-20140522
    But the movie belongs, wholeheartedly, to Cruise. This is his liveliest, most fully engaged, dimensional performance in years

Advertisement