Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It was me m'lud..

• 25-03-2014 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I was driving sis'in-laws car, and got caught on speed camera.

She is in the UK, and by the time she got the forms, and sent them back, the time for "nominating" had passed, and they sent the forms back.

I've not seen it, but she has now apparently got a court summons.

She can't go to court, and shouldn't have to. I can, but I am not sure they'll "listen".

Any advise on how to deal with this?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

jmg1975 wrote: »

She is in the UK, and by the time she got the forms, and sent them back, the time for "nominating" had passed, and they sent the forms back.

She can't go to court, and shouldn't have to. I can, but I am not sure they'll "listen".

Get a solicitor to assist in presenting the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jmg1975

Seriously? OK, I accept that is an option. Thanks.

But, is it the only option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

if the time for nominating the actual driver has passed then your sister is probably on the hook for it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Seriously? OK, I accept that is an option. Thanks.

But, is it the only option?

It's not the only option on how to run the case. She can represent herself.

But you asked how to increase the chances of a judge ruling in her favour, and getting a solicitor is the best way to do that by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Two questions..

Did you know you had been caught at the time or not until your sister got the letter?

Is she still in the UK? If so can she be ... extradited for this

Oh and were you on her insurance as a nominated driver? ( three)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

If you are confident enough to be able to attend the court and give your account of the facts (probably on oath) there will be no need to waste money on a solicitor.
    Just have the facts, date time, location ready and tell the Judge. He/she will have the option of believing you and dismissing the case against your sister in law or convicting. I would say the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    If you are confident enough to be able to attend the court and give your account of the facts (probably on oath) there will be no need to waste money on a solicitor.
    Just have the facts, date time, location ready and tell the Judge. He/she will have the option of believing you and dismissing the case against your sister in law or convicting. I would say the former.

Order 6 of the District Court Rules does not extend to allowing a right of audience by brothers-in-law.

The issue of service could be worth checking, in the circumstances outlined.

Beano wrote: »
    if the time for nominating the actual driver has passed then your sister is probably on the hook for it.

That's hilarious. I don't expect you are wrong.

It's not the only option on how to run the case. She can represent herself.

But you asked how to increase the chances of a judge ruling in her favour, and getting a solicitor is the best way to do that by far.

Thanks, it may well be the option that I have to go with.

Two questions..

Did you know you had been caught at the time or not until your sister got the letter?

No, she sent it to me, once she got it, so I could fill in my details, saying I was the driver.
    Is she still in the UK? If so can she be ... extradited for this

Yes, she's still in the UK. I would assume she could potentially be extradited, but what a waste that would be, particularly as she's innocent.
    Oh and were you on her insurance as a nominated driver? ( three)

No, but I am covered under my own policy to drive any other car with the owners permission.

• Advertisement

Yes, I think that's what I will do.

I've nothing against solicitors, but really think that a pragmatic judge (is there any, I've not experienced any type before) would accept my explanation.

Order 6 of the District Court Rules does not extend to allowing a right of audience by brothers-in-law.

So, the way I see it, she likely won't turn up, unless she happens to be in the country on that day.

I'll go to court, explain that I was the driver, and then assume that they can choose to convict her in her absence and seek to extradite her from the UK, or I can save them the time, and tell them when she'll be back, and ask for an adjournment so we can both attend at the same time.

Or, I'll ask them to prosecute me.

I'll even bring my license, insurance docs, and cheque book.

:-)

Order 6 District Court Rules:
    Right of audience

[Persons entitled to appear and address the court]

1. The following persons shall be entitled to appear and address the Court and conduct proceedings—
    (a) any party to the proceedings; or

(b) a solicitor for such party; or

(c) a counsel instructed by the solicitor for such party; or

(d) where the proceedings are in relation to the taxes and duties under the care and management of the Revenue Commissioners, or in relation to any fine, penalty or forfeiture incurred in connection therewith or otherwise incurred under the Customs Acts, a duly authorised officer of the Revenue Commissioners or the Revenue solicitor; or

(e) in proceedings at the suit of the Director of Public Prosecutions in respect of an offence, the said Director or any member of the Garda Síochána or other person appearing on behalf of or prosecuting in the name of the Director2 .

2. Save where otherwise provided by statute or by rules of court, the father, mother, son, daughter, husband, wife, brother or sister of any party may appear on behalf of that party provided that any such person has the leave of the Court to appear and be heard and that the Court is satisfied that the party is, from infirmity or other unavoidable cause, unable to appear.

See Order 6, above. I would suggest that your sister-in-law should instruct a solicitor to look into the matter for her.

Order 6 District Court Rules:

See Order 6, above. I would suggest that your sister-in-law should instruct a solicitor to look into the matter for her.

Thank you.

I am supposed to have a chat with a local solicitor shortly anyway, on an unrelated matter regards updating Wills, so I'll ask him... (Make sure I fill up the hour he'll charge me for anyway)...

Depends on what he says, and how argumentative I feel, I may print that, as well as the document she sent in, that they bounced back, and claim that I am "a party to the proceedings". I was driving.... I am mentioned on the form.

lol.

Related...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I accept the right of audience rule fully. I would be hoping for a Judge's discretion. They are not all monsters!

I accept the right of audience rule fully. I would be hoping for a Judge's discretion. They are not all monsters!

Thanks, I'll go. Explain the full story, have the docs and chequebook handy, and hope for a pragmatic resolution.

If I get a crappy decision, what is the worst that she would get?

There were a number of other reasons why I think that a solicitor should look into it, to include service of documents, appearance on behalf of the defendant, appearance curing defects in service, appearance without prejudice.

Advertisement