Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien: Covenant *Spoilers from post 747*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'd be up for it if Lindelof is locked in a led lined prison and kept as far away as possible from even picking up a pen to rewrite anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I enjoyed Prometheus.

I think the problem was that alot of people were expecting an "Alien" movie and were left wanting.

Its not a classic by any means but it was an interesting arc in the Alien universe that has potential for growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,882 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I enjoyed Prometheus.

I think the problem was that alot of people were expecting an "Alien" movie and were left wanting.

Its not a classic by any means but it was an interesting arc in the Alien universe that has potential for growth.

Nope - my problem was the poor scripting and dialog, which my mate continues to demand I ignore simply because it is a scifi-horror movie and thus should not be viewed critically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I enjoyed Prometheus.

The other problem was it was written and rewritten by clowns and as a result nothing in the movie made any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Nope - my problem was the poor scripting and dialog, which my mate continues to demand I ignore simply because it is a scifi-horror movie and thus should not be viewed critically.
    Goldstein wrote: »
    The other problem was it was written and rewritten by clowns and as a result nothing in the movie made any sense.

+1

Nothing to do with people's expectations. It was a watchable film, but the script let it down badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

I really enjoyed Prometheus and would welcome a sequel. Visually stunning and many intriguing plots/subplots. There hasn't been too many films in the last number of years that created the level of discussion that Prometheus did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

p to the e wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Prometheus and would welcome a sequel. Visually stunning and many intriguing plots/subplots. There hasn't been too many films in the last number of years that created the level of discussion that Prometheus did.

It's a gorgeous movie, but it's an incoherent mess. Most of the discussion was as dumb as the movie. People trying to assign meaning to a rabbling, nonsensical, aggressively stupid script.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Beautiful looking film but dumb as a bag of hammers, if you took the aspect of being set in the Alien universe away from it it'd get rightly slated for being another dumb sci-fi movie. Barely anything in the film makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I enjoyed Prometheus.

Not for me, anyways.

I was excited to see Scott return to sci-fi and presumed we'd get a competent, adult sci-fi film (Even if he hasn't been on particularly great form for years). The little sprinkles or nods to Alien would be a bonus but wouldn't make or break the film on it's own merits.

The problem was that, while visual production was top class, the script and characters were rubbish and pulled what should have been a competent movie down.

The characters were quite thick, the editing left a lot of their actions confusing and non-nonsensical.

An example of harsh editing was the scientist who was so eager to touch the snake from the black goo (he was supposed to have come across their baby form earlier which explains his eagerness) or the Fifield attack which was planned to happen near the end of the movie as they made their way to the ship with Weyland.

What ended up happening in the final movie was that one of Weyland's goons died with an axe in the back, appeared in the next scene standing outside Weyland's room (Where Theron speaks to her Weyland), went to go to the sleeping engineer with them and was then never seen again :pac:

The film was full of little annoyances for me, like the pilots who were way too happy and chirpy for their sacrifice which turned it into a strange scene.

Annoying film considering it had most of the right ingredients and looked fantastic but just had a stupid, stupid script.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Prometheus 2 - Electric Boogaloo (may not be actual title)

No, but damn well should be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I'd be interested in the sequel but Scott really needs to step it up. The one thing that really irritated me about Prometheus was that while it was full of big ideas, the film was quite hollow, barely exploring any of the themes or plots it presented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I was promised the story behind the giant alien in the turret. Still waiting for it.

If they are going to do another, fine but can they try and have it make some sense this time?
    An archaeologist has a theory about the origin of Man, gets to go on a space ship to test his theory and instead of going "Wohoo, my theory was right", he goes "Bohoo, they are all dead, Im getting drunk". Dude, your an archaeologist, you should be used to the subjects of your theories being dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'd be interested in the sequel but Scott really needs to step it up. The one thing that really irritated me about Prometheus was that while it was full of big ideas, the film was quite hollow, barely exploring any of the themes or plots it presented.

Spoiler alert.

Big ideas without any follow up ain't worth a tap. Anyone can spout off some quasi philosophical crap that sounds somewhat intriguing (see your local stoner). I pity the poor ****er that has to write this though. Because at the moment their jumping off point is a road(space?) movie about the further adventures of some wan and a head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Leaving the film with two other friends we were estatic and I remember thinking finally they made a film that stands with ALIEN and ALIENS after 26 years. (The same thing I wished with Terminator Salvation)

The terror and the dread was there in a truly visceral way and unlike much sci fi, it really did feel like a alien world, that there was nobody out there

I then suddenly realised a few things in the next few days

BUT:

I then realised some really irksome, it wasn't on LV 426, like I just assumed it was.

Could we have a recent sci fi movie where the scientists act like world class experts and don't look like they're hyperventilate over what color of post it notepad paper that they buy. I don't want emotionless drones, either but I do cringe at times.

I thought Sunshine was one of the best recent examples of how to depict a world class expecting perfect results crew under stress.

Sandra Bullock In Gravity.
    Really? your daughter dies last year and we've entrusted this emotionally fragile woman who NASA entrusts billions of dollars of the complex machines ever built in history in a endless, airless, black vacuum. Clooney somehow doesn't know where she lives and they're having chit chats. Have you ever heard astronaut talking while on a job it's one of the most functional, basic, no BS converstions humans have ever engaged in.

I understand they have to make her somehat relatable in order for to it sell the movie to audiences.

But here's a depressing thought; does this mean I guess most people don't want to and can't relate to competency, being great at your job.

But Clooney is fixing the Hubble telecope, like his car broke down on the side of the road and he's giving chat to the AA callout man.

I was validated with this video after I bought the Blu Ray (which I did love)

Absolutely hilarious:

Still, I'm glad we're getting films of this genre at all to be honest.
    I want to see sci films that inspire people to be scientists and engineers, doctors and have portrayed as they are for real. They did this during the 60's, 70's, 80's and the 90's. The sheer spectacle and danger of space exploration should be endless USP enough without contrived characters.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Apparently there's going to be multiple David's in the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Adamantium wrote: »
    Leaving the film with two other friends we were estatic and I remember thinking finally they made a film that stands with ALIEN and ALIENS after 26 years. (The same thing I wished with Terminator Salvation)

The terror and the dread was there in a truly visceral way and unlike much sci fi, it really did feel like a alien world, that there was nobody out there

I then suddenly realised a few things in the next few days

BUT:

I then realised some really irksome, it wasn't on LV 426, like I just assumed it was.

Could we have a recent sci fi movie where the scientists act like world class experts and don't look like they're hyperventilate over what color of post it notepad paper that they buy. I don't want emotionless drones, either but I do cringe at times.

I thought Sunshine was one of the best recent examples of how to depict a crew under stress.

Sandra Bullock In Gravity.
    Really? your daughter dies last year and we've entrusted this emotionally fragile woman who NASA entrusts billions of dollars of the complex machines ever built in history in a endless, airless, black vacuum. Clooney somehow doesn't know where she lives and they're having chit chats. Have you ever heard astronaut talking while on a job it's one of the most functional, basic, no BS converstions humans have ever engaged in.

But Clooney is fixing the Hubble telecope, like his car broke down on the side of the road and he's giving chat to the AA callout man.

I was validated with this video after I bought the Blu Ray:

Absolutely hilarious:

I see Louis's point but there's no harm in having relatable characters: it's an entertainment product. And what was the last big-budget movie set in space? Sunshine? It doesn't happen too often, so I don't see the rush to nitpick.

Michael Green (Green Lantern) who is also working with Scott on the Blade Runner sequel is re writing the script from an original draft by Jack Paglen (Transcendence).

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=40553

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I imagine Prometheus was supposed to be set on the original planet, but after writing the script it was changed, and when they did that, had to change other elements, which snowballed and now we have that movie. What did it for me was
    the dude who has a face hugger eat through his helmet. A dead guy appears in Alien in a spot the exact same

It was OK up to a point, where it became an incoherent mess, with subplots getting dropped, things happening and then someone just forgot about it, things happening for no reason, professionals behaving like high school students, so on. Many of these things could have been fixed with a couple of lines or a small scene.

Did I walk in wanting an Alien movie? Yeah. Was a I disappointed I didn't get an Alien movie? No. I was disappointed because it's just a bad film.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I don't care - I skipped the first one based on early chatter, and I don't think I missed much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I imagine Prometheus was supposed to be set on the original planet, but after writing the script it was changed, and when they did that, had to change other elements, which snowballed and now we have that movie. What did it for me was
    the dude who has a face hugger eat through his helmet. A dead guy appears in Alien in a spot the exact same

It was OK up to a point, where it became an incoherent mess, with subplots getting dropped, things happening and then someone just forgot about it, things happening for no reason, professionals behaving like high school students, so on. Many of these things could have been fixed with a couple of lines or a small scene.

Did I walk in wanting an Alien movie? Yeah. Was a I disappointed I didn't get an Alien movie? No. I was disappointed because it's just a bad film.

Not doubting you but where exactly does that spoiler happen?

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    I was promised the story behind the giant alien in the turret. Still waiting for it.

If they are going to do another, fine but can they try and have it make some sense this time?
    An archaeologist has a theory about the origin of Man, gets to go on a space ship to test his theory and instead of going "Wohoo, my theory was right", he goes "Bohoo, they are all dead, Im getting drunk". Dude, your an archaeologist, you should be used to the subjects of your theories being dead.

That annoyed the crap out of me, basically the biggest scientific discovery in history and he's bummed out? gwayyyy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

was really looking forward to the first one but it was as boring as hell

As a failure its got to be up there with Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes

bullvine wrote: »
    As a failure its got to be up there with Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes

Ah now, that's a bit harsh :pac:

krudler wrote: »
    Ah now, that's a bit harsh :pac:

Yeah a bit harsh on Apes!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Domonator

For anyone who hasn't seen the first film, here is a review of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBaKqOMGPWc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd somewhat agree with the sentiments here that it was a bit of a mess but alot can be saved from it.

I appreciate it's not and was not meant to be an Alien film, but it was meant to be an origins story, and I don't see how or why that can't still happen.

From what was, as others have pointed out, a bit of a mess, there is still some strong points that could be moved on.

The Alien obviously evolved and manipulated from what was a WMD/bioweapons testing facility.

The planet the first film was based on, is not the planet Alien or Aliens was based on

There was an indication there was a number of these testing facilities dotted around the Galaxy

I think that's enough to move forward with to be fair. We don't need little winks and nods to the originals, we just need some good scripting and stories that plots the course to explore how the Alien went from a biochemical weapon, to transform into an actual organic being, to then into the killing machine we all know and love.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'd somewhat agree with the sentiments here that it was a bit of a mess but alot can be saved from it.

I appreciate it's not and was not meant to be an Alien film, but it was meant to be an origins story, and I don't see how or why that can't still happen.

From what was, as others have pointed out, a bit of a mess, there is still some strong points that could be moved on.

The Alien obviously evolved and manipulated from what was a WMD/bioweapons testing facility.

The planet the first film was based on, is not the planet Alien or Aliens was based on

There was an indication there was a number of these testing facilities dotted around the Galaxy

I think that's enough to move forward with to be fair. We don't need little winks and nods to the originals, we just need some good scripting and stories that plots the course to explore how the Alien went from a biochemical weapon, to transform into an actual organic being, to then into the killing machine we all know and love.

What grated for me was that Prometheus was quite obviously written to be set on LV-426 and they decided to change the name of the planet in order to pave the way for sequels. Having those canisters instead of eggs was completely daft too, the way they convoluted the Alien's evolution/life cycle makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

bullvine wrote: »
    Not doubting you but where exactly does that spoiler happen?
    In Alien, one of the first things they find on the planet is a dead guy in a space suit. The glass panel on the helmet has been smashed right through. In Prometheus, one of the first guys to die (I think the very first, possibly), has a face hugger smash through his helmet. Can't remember the timecode, I'd have to watch it again.

• Advertisement

I don't care - I skipped the first one based on early chatter, and I don't think I missed much.

You missed two apparently intelligent people try to escape a falling/rolling object by running in the same direction it was falling/rolling in.

Advertisement