Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Beer online from abroad.

• 24-03-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen a few sites and sellers that sell bottled beer online, and I always dismiss them as I'm not sure if it would be worth it, how long it takes, would there be an import fee when it gets here etc..

Does anyone here buy beer online and regularly?

There has been one seller that gets my attention often, and they have a new set, up today. Would there be any hassle with these arriving, (Is there any alcohol laws/fees etc.?) and are they worth it after the €15 shipping has been added?
    Would shipping (I think it's DHL) be okay?
    Anything else I have left out, anyone with experience buying from abroad/online may add?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Allyall wrote: »
    Would there be any hassle with these arriving
    You never know until you order, is the crux of it.
    Is there any alcohol laws/fees etc.?
    If ordering from inside the EU it's up to the seller to sort out the payment to Irish Revenue. In practice I get the impression that intra-EU packages rarely get stopped or inspected, but it's possible. If the shop hasn't paid taxes and duty before shipping, the parcel will be impounded and you'll be expected to pay what's owing directly to Revenue.

If they're outside the EU the parcel just gets stopped until you've paid the duty.

Personally I've never considered it worthwhile to order beer from abroad. I haven't drank all the ones in the shops here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Thanks, The seller I am looking at, is in Germany, 25 Beers and two Steins - FROM HERE

Before I bite the bullet, anyone any idea of any of these beers? In this set in particular? I don't recognise any of them, I see each set is aimed at a certain target (using Bing/translate or Chrome).
    These are aimed at cyclists (Not like Tour De France, More casual like in The Netherlands and Germany etc.), so would these be fairly light? Many have lemon on the label.. :confused:

I may go for it anyway, but if any better advice, gratefully appreciated. Cheap Muck, or worth trying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

A lot of those bottles (if not all) are Radlers - German for shandy, so it's beer with lemonade in. That's not a bad thing, it's really refreshing especially on a summer day, but it's not beer. Don't know if that helps you make your mind up.

Prenderb wrote: »
    A lot of those bottles (if not all) are Radlers - German for shandy, so it's beer with lemonade in. That's not a bad thing, it's really refreshing especially on a summer day, but it's not beer. Don't know if that helps you make your mind up.

Yes, yes it does... :o I'd buy one or four. But not that many for €45 incl. steins.

I'll wait until the others are back in stock...

Thanks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I dealt with www.gourmondo.de in the recent past, got 24 Augustiner Helles from them. Delievered by An Post, in 6 days, carriage was €15, they arrived in excellent packaging, no additional payments or duties this end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Greg81

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I dealt with www.gourmondo.de in the recent past, got 24 Augustiner Helles from them. Delievered by An Post, in 6 days, carriage was €15, they arrived in excellent packaging, no additional payments or duties this end.

Ordering from gourmondo.de from last 3 years. Never had a problem with them. Beer, scotch, vodka, gin. You name it. Also olive oil, bbq sauce, sweets :)

10Euro delivery on orders over 100Euro. Excellent packing.

Good prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don't know if that site pays duty in advance.

Here was one case of someone being caught from germany
    rubadub wrote: »
    Post here related to some earlier comments. This guy had 2 700ml bottles of captain morgans seized by customs, coming from germany
    Seized Alcohol by customs (sent from parents)

rubadub wrote: »
    I don't know if that site pays duty in advance.

Here was one case of someone being caught from germany

Woah. That's nasty. Don't think I'd risk the ebay seller now. Two Steins for €45?

What if the person at the other end offered to pay the Duty? Would that be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

What if the person at the other end offered to pay the Duty? Would that be an option?

The seller must be registered with Irish Revenue for duty and VAT AFAIK.

That Gourmondo site looks decent. I'd be interested in a site with a wide range of Belgian beer - at good prices naturally! - if anyone knows one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

these lads seem to be a fair bit cheaper than Gourmondo, but the delivery at 24euro for 20kg might negate that a little.
    http://biershop.bierpost.com/

free postage in germany for a full box so might be complementing my selection with them yet. My stash of belgian beer is down to barely 40bottles now so will be needing to replenish before my next spin to Belgium next christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

anyone using a good site for german beer? my usual has stopped delivering to ireland. thanks.

Advertisement