Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mount Juliet

• 10-03-2014 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

Played here for the birthday last saturday. Absolute cracker of a course if anyone is looking to play a quality track. We got it for 42 quid at 8.10 tee time :D Some very strong par 4's, the par 3's are quality! A good test,all are high indexes. Cant wait to go back to have a crack at a singles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

Yep, a surprisingly often overlooked course. A lot of the newer "big" developments of the last 10 years or so can only dream of being as good a test as Mount Juliet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Russman wrote: »
    Yep, a surprisingly often overlooked course. A lot of the newer "big" developments of the last 10 years or so can only dream of being as good a test as Mount Juliet.

I agree, had that real championship feel to it! Greens superb, fairways were in good nick but just very wet, i had a couple of big drives plug! Gotta be playing these course in summer to get the most out of them! I eagled that 5th, holed out from 60 yds, bday present to myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Tones69 wrote: »
    Played here for the birthday last saturday. Absolute cracker of a course if anyone is looking to play a quality track. We got it for 42 quid at 8.10 tee time :D Some very strong par 4's, the par 3's are quality! A good test,all are high indexes. Cant wait to go back to have a crack at a singles

Was there much damage to the trees from the recent storms? Another poster mentioned over 300 trees down at Kilkenny GC so I assume MJ can't have got away without some impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Was there much damage to the trees from the recent storms? Another poster mentioned over 300 trees down at Kilkenny GC so I assume MJ can't have got away without some impact.

Nothing serious from what I was told and nothing damaging the course itself - quite a feat when you consider the size of some of those trees around the 11th, 13th and 14th greens.

As for people saying it's a "surprisingly often overlooked course", I find that comment odd when it so regularly ranks as the best parkland in the country and many of the other big parklands are compared against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Nothing serious from what I was told and nothing damaging the course itself - quite a feat when you consider the size of some of those trees around the 11th, 13th and 14th greens.

As for people saying it's a "surprisingly often overlooked course", I find that comment odd when it so regularly ranks as the best parkland in the country and many of the other big parklands are compared against it.

Amazing that 2 courses close together have such different fortunes.

Walked the course during one of the WGC events but never played it myself. Always understood it to be the best in the country. I'll be down that end of the world for a week in the summer and plan to play a number of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Amazing that 2 courses close together have such different fortunes.

Walked the course during one of the WGC events but never played it myself. Always understood it to be the best in the country. I'll be down that end of the world for a week in the summer and plan to play a number of times.

Try to get to Gowran Park, as well (also badly affected by the storms!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Try to get to Gowran Park, as well (also badly affected by the storms!)

I'm a member in gowran and we only lost a handful of trees. None of any significance thankfully...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Kilkenny GC seemed to have been caught right in the eye of the storm.
    Fair play to the club management & groundsmen for all their hard work. The course is stunning condition & they are going all out on planting new trees, repairs, new bunkers all over the place.
    I live just 2 miles out the the same road as it & I lost just 4 trees. I would have about 150 - 200 trees.
    I think a lot of the issue was the evergreens had small root balls, along with being trimmed at low level for golfers. This made the trees top heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Didnt seem to be any at all to be honest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Playing Mt Juliet on Fri March 21st. Hope the current good weather spell lasts till then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Tones69 wrote: »
    Didnt seem to be any at all to be honest?

They lost over 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Boards Golf Society Captains Day this year is in MJ.

No better reason than to join up with the society lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Trekker09

stevieob wrote: »
    Boards Golf Society Captains Day this year is in MJ.

No better reason than to join up with the society lads :)

When?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Playing Mt Juliet on Fri March 21st. Hope the current good weather spell lasts till then.

what was it like,thought they were due to do the greens soon(hollow tinning or whatever it's called)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Trekker09 wrote: »
    When?

Boards gof Society 2014 info is all in here

Regarding Captains Day in MJ, take a look here

stevieob wrote: »
    Boards gof Society 2014 info is all in here

Regarding Captains Day in MJ, take a look here

Cheers, if I'm back from the jungle I'll join and play if there's room as I live right next to Mt. Juliet. Played it last time I was home and it was in cracking form.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Cheers, if I'm back from the jungle I'll join and play if there's room as I live right next to Mt. Juliet. Played it last time I was home and it was in cracking form.

Just to note though - priority will be given to members who have played at least 3 events throughout the year, if all the spaces available are not taken only then will we have spots available but they will not be eligible for main prizes.

You need to come on down to the next few events!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Played Mt Juliet on Friday afternoon.
    Very mixed weather conditions but still very enjoyable. Surprised at how open the course was.

Found the staff there very friendly & helpful.

Played Knightsbrook on Saturday and found it quite a similar feel to Mt Juliet - open, long par 4s, similar length par 3s , cart paths.

Both lovely courses. Hope to play them both again in better weather.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Just to note though - priority will be given to members who have played at least 3 events throughout the year, if all the spaces available are not taken only then will we have spots available but they will not be eligible for main prizes.

You need to come on down to the next few events!

Thanks, I would love to play more events but I literally am in the jungle of Papua New Guinea! No probs though as I'll hopefully be working on a contract closer to home in the not too distant future.

BTW there's a cracking course where I live, Lae GC. They give really good Society rates :D

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Playing mj 2moro morning hope the weather improves. Anyone know have the greens been done or not?? Really looking forward to this im out with my son & brother who haven't played it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Weather is suppose to be lovely tomorrow. Not much wind with sun all day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

lester76 wrote: »
    Playing mj 2moro morning hope the weather improves. Anyone know have the greens been done or not?? Really looking forward to this im out with my son & brother who haven't played it yet.

I think the forecast is bad but I don't think the greens are done yet,i expect they are waiting for warmer days than we've be having

Thanks lads hopefully the weather wont spoil the day out for us at least..

Arrived at 8.20am lashing it down. We 1st out my god never played on fairways with so much water on them. Have they no drainage system ffs. Greens perfect but every fairway ball was plugged no joke. Played cat 95 strokes 30pts with 2 scratches & 3 lost balls. Had 3pars 9bogs 4 dbs 2 tbs. Playing there again this saturday, huge improvement needed.

lester76 wrote: »
    Arrived at 8.20am lashing it down. We 1st out my god never played on fairways with so much water on them. Have they no drainage system ffs. Greens perfect but every fairway ball was plugged no joke. Played cat 95 strokes 30pts with 2 scratches & 3 lost balls. Had 3pars 9bogs 4 dbs 2 tbs. Playing there again this saturday, huge improvement needed.
    Playing there tomorrow. I think weather forecast is better, well I hope so.
    First time playing it, even though it's local.
    Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Always bog soft imo. Cant understand its high ranking in the country when everybody complains how wet it is.
    Some good holes but just ruined by its drainage problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Always bog soft imo. Cant understand its high ranking in the country when everybody complains how wet it is.

Adare is similar in that is gets seriously wet at this time of year. The best parkland I know to take water is Fota. Other local courses could be closed & Fota would still be bone dry. Definitely the best conditioned course in Munster all year round in my opinion.

golfguy1 wrote: »

We just played it today. Very nice condition & not very wet. Rained in the afternoon but no water logging. A few parts a bit soft but nothing most courses wouldn't have.
    Overall, a lovely course. I suppose I had built it up too high with my expectations and was expecting a bit more. I would certainly play it again. Par 3's & the par 5's were my favourite.

Really nice company with ballyk, paulos53 & recycled.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

Thanks for organising today Shane. Like yourself I had very high expectations of Mont Juliet based on the course rankings etc. The course was good but didn't quite live up to those expectations. I'm sure if you played it in the summer it would be a different story though.

Made it back to Dublin to play my tennis match (thanks for the directions). Long but enjoyable day! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Playing Mount Juliet this Sat for the first time, so I'm looking forward to it (as long as the weather is nice).

Any good tips for it?

Advertisement