Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Studying Psychology in Britain, confused as to if I would be eligible or not?

• 20-03-2014 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys, so I'm in my first year of arts in UCC, I had wanted to do applied psychology but i didn't get the points :( I have a passion for psychology, but I find that I have no interest in arts as a degree or in any of my other subjects (english, archaeology and sociology) I understand that after my 3 years I can apply for a conversion course although that is not guaranteed. I was thinking about dropping out of my arts degree (As I had never really wanted to do it in the first place) after first year and studying Psychology in Britain (Scotland) although I can't seem to figure out whether I would actually be eligible or not? I got 370 in my leaving cert last year, and I did all honors except for Maths, I got two D1s in History and Biology :eek: I only did one science also, does Britain want you to have 2? So I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to understand the British GCSE's and whether you think I would be in with a chance or not!
    Thanks a million! :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I'm a Brit who did undergrad in Ireland - I understand your confusion!

The system in the UK is quite different, and in Scotland different again. In England and Wales, we take A-Levels and AS-Levels, with a much smaller range of subjects. In Scotland, they take Highers, with a larger range of subjects. GCSEs are equivalent (more or less) to JC exams - take at 16, with a wider range.

Best way to figure out how your qualifications compare is to look at UCAS - www.ucas.com - which is the tool for applying for university in the UK. There's a couple of bits of info on how to convert Leaving Cert points into the equivalent values for UK universities. http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/ucas-tariff - http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables/IrishCert

From there, you can also search for different courses and so on. Be aware that for UK universities, it's necessary to submit a personal statement (basically an essay on why you want to do that course).

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lajoie

Hey OP,

I didn't study in Britain, but I'm a psychology postgrad who started in Arts, graduated, did a conversion course etc..

With regard to eligibility from a career perspective, be sure to get a course that is accredited!!! There is little point to studying something that is not recognised by the British Psych Society (or the Irish one here). Then it should be transferable to come back here and continue with masters or work or whatever you choose to do.

I think your best option might be to check out what courses interest you and email the universities. Some might have special intake for non-UK students. I would suggest that you don't drop out of your current course until you know you can go study psych abroad! Oh, and don't forget to see if any do distance learning - the Open University also does a great psych course I've heard.

Advertisement