Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Considering switching to DE shaver...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

May I ask what can I use instead of the gel/foam? would a tube or soap be handier to use?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I have one of these, it's ridiculously handy for travelling.

does it store away the brush in the handle or do you use a tube or bag to store it? it's bit expensive but it has a clean look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Even a cheap Men U brush from Boots and Palmolive shaving soap stick or cream will work better than using canned gel/foam.
    You're more likely when starting out to have small nicks/weepers if you use canned stuff

http://www.boots.ie/en/men-u-Pure-Bristle-Shaving-Brush_13827/
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Palmolive-Classic-Extract-Shave-Stick/dp/B0012XZAKE

is that palmolive shave stick available in the supermarket? I had a look in tesco when I was doing me shopping and couldnt see it, I didnt look to hard tho, so I may have missed it.

is brushless shaving cream a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

is that palmolive shave stick available in the supermarket? I had a look in tesco when I was doing me shopping and couldnt see it, I didnt look to hard tho, so I may have missed it.

Dunnes might have the Palmolive shave cream. My local one does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

tp25 wrote: »
    May I ask what can I use instead of the gel/foam? would a tube or soap be handier to use?

It is down to personal choice. You can use either. Some people suggest cream when starting out as they find it easier to create a lather compared to soap. Just use a small amount in a mug/bowl and create the lather. Proraso shaving cream or something like Omega is easy to lather http://www.shaving.ie/products/omega-shaving-soap-cream-tube.html
    Do you have hard or soft water? Limescale in the kettle? Some soaps can be tricky if you have hard water. Proraso soap in a tub is easy to lather and you won't need a mug/bowl as you can just create the lather in the tub/bowl it comes in

http://www.shaving.ie/products/proraso-sensitive-shaving-soap.html

Prenderb wrote: »
    Dunnes might have the Palmolive shave cream. My local one does.

ah feck, no local dunnes near me,thanks tho, ill have a look around aldi and lidl and supervalu next time im in

I've seen it in Dunne's, Superquinn and Tesco. The cream seems more common than the soap stick around my area. I just checked SuperValu and tesco online shopping and can't find either. Hopefully the online shopping does not include all that's in-store.
    Worth checking the shops and don't be surprised if its on the bottom shelf and hard to spot!

You won't get it in aldi or lidl but may have luck in an old school chemist.
    What part of the /country you looking around?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

tp25 wrote: »
    does it store away the brush in the handle or do you use a tube or bag to store it? it's bit expensive but it has a clean look
    The brush lives inside the handle when stored for travel.

I've seen it in Dunne's, Superquinn and Tesco. The cream seems more common than the soap stick around my area. I just checked SuperValu and tesco online shopping and can't find either. Hopefully the online shopping does not include all that's in-store.
    Worth checking the shops and don't be surprised if its on the bottom shelf and hard to spot!

You won't get it in aldi or lidl but may have luck in an old school chemist.
    What part of the /country you looking around?

in the north west, sound sher ill have a look in me local chemist and another proper look around tescos next time, cheers man.

• Advertisement

Checked two Tesco in South Dublin this morn, label on bottom shelf in each for the cream but no stock on shelf.
    Hope they aren't delisting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I noticed a while ago in my local tesco that they no longer had the Palmolive stick on the shelves but did have the cream. Today the cream was also not there but they did have the Wilkinson Sword blue tub of soap - something they didn't have before.

Think they might no longer be stocking the Palmolive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Rosahane

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I noticed a while ago in my local tesco that they no longer had the Palmolive stick on the shelves but did have the cream. Today the cream was also not there but they did have the Wilkinson Sword blue tub of soap - something they didn't have before.

Think they might no longer be stocking the Palmolive stuff.

I see the same locally. Tesco had the stick - now no more. Superquinn had the cream and that disappeared also.
    I complained to the management in both stores but no response as yet!

I did notice superQuinn only having the cream a while back but I had seen the sticks in Tesco more recently.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77141552

couple of quick questions for ye :P

1. how many shaves should i be able get out of a single double edge razor blade

2. am i doing it wrong if i have to shave every day? meaning my neck region, i usually shave and leave it for a few days, but like to tidy up my neck area and leave the face stubble , am i not going close enough if i have to lather up and shave my neck the next day?

1) It depends on the person and blade, really. I can get 5-7 shaves from a Bolzano blade and only 3 from a Shark Super Stainless.

2) I would say you're not doing anything wrong at all. I shave just about every day as I feel I need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

1. Generally no more than 3 shaves per blade

2. DEs are sharp and cut the hair right at the skin. Other razors can "tug" at the hair, lifting it, and then cutting it. This can result in hair cut slightly lower than the skin level. While it can appear to be a closer shave it is rougher on your skin and causes ingrown hairs.

You'll also manage a closer shave as your technique improves. Take a close look at how your beard grows. Mine changes direction on my neck so while a vertical action is with the grain for my face I'm inadvertently going across the grain on my neck. I notice a better level of closeness going with the grain as opposed to across the grain. I generally do 1 pass but almost always need to do a touch up on my neck as it's tricky.

One of the big benefits to switching for me is the option to shave daily if I want to. This wouldn't be an option with mach3s as my neck would be too raw after a shave. Although I often go a few days between shaves, I like having the option of shaving again the same day if I need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭cson

Took the plunge and ordered the basic essentials set on Shaving.ie. Razor is way smaller (shorter) than I was expecting. Got the Proraso pre/post shave cream with it. I'm interested to see how this goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭OldRio

Good luck. Never looked back since I started DE shaving.

One downside.
    You know that small shelf in the bathroom. The one you put your deodorant and razor etc on. Not big enough.

'Things' begin to accumulate.

I now have more soaps than the wife.:D

cson wrote: »
    Took the plunge and ordered the basic essentials set on Shaving.ie. Razor is way smaller (shorter) than I was expecting. Got the Proraso pre/post shave cream with it. I'm interested to see how this goes...

For me so far im delighted with the switch, at the moment im trying out a few blades to get that perfect shave, Derbys came with my razor and i found them to be ok, at the moment im using gilette 7 o clocks and they dont seem to be giving me a close as shave as the derbys, im due a second go with them tomorow so hopefully it will be better. i dont know if its my fault or the my techneique to be honest :D . I love the whole lathering up with the brush and soap tho, it feels like a proper shave kinda :pac: i dont know but i like doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

For me so far im delighted with the switch, at the moment im trying out a few blades to get that perfect shave, Derbys came with my razor and i found them to be ok, at the moment im using gilette 7 o clocks and they dont seem to be giving me a close as shave as the derbys, im due a second go with them tomorow so hopefully it will be better. i dont know if its my fault or the my techneique to be honest :D . I love the whole lathering up with the brush and soap tho, it feels like a proper shave kinda :pac: i dont know but i like doing it.

I'm delighted too and to think I use to really hate shaving. It hasn't been cheaper though. I've already spent €150 at Shaving.ie, €40 on a 1952 Gillette SS, €18 on a Russian adjustable and I've been looking at the Fatboy. I'll probably need a purpose built shave Den too. Oh yeah, also need to get myself a scuttle http://schwarzweisskeramik.de/enindex.html
    Dam you Boards ie!

I'm delighted too and to think I use to really hate shaving. It hasn't been cheaper though. I've already spent €150 at Shaving.ie, €40 on a 1952 Gillette SS, €18 on a Russian adjustable and I've been looking at the Fatboy. I'll probably need a purpose built shave Den too. Oh yeah, also need to get myself a scuttle http://schwarzweisskeramik.de/enindex.html
    Dam you Boards ie!

Yeah ive dropped around 80 bucks meself getting set up :pac: now im trying to find the right blade and after I buy 100 whatever blades and some soap, the savings will start, or at least that's what I keep telling meself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭cson

Day 1...

Not a nick in sight. Was very careful and probably erred too much on the side of caution as the shave isn't as close as I like in places. The pre/post shave proraso cream nearly blew the face off me, its seriously strong. Other than that, yeah I reckon I'm a convert. Using the Gilette blade. Probably took 5 mins more than my Mach 3.

With some practice and timr spent shaving with a DE you will get quicker at shaving.

Concentrate on getting the shave you want though and dont worry about time. It will all come together.

Ill take back everything i said about gillete 7 o clocks yesterday, today i had the smoothest shave i have ever had yet!! :D delighted! on a side note do you guys have any tips for caring for your DE Razor? sometimes it gets sorta soap gunk around the head and inside where the blade and posts are. i take it apart and clean with a cotton bud and towel. any tips for cleaning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭dmc17

Ill take back everything i said about gillete 7 o clocks yesterday, today i had the smoothest shave i have ever had yet!! :D delighted! on a side note do you guys have any tips for caring for your DE Razor? sometimes it gets sorta soap gunk around the head and inside where the blade and posts are. i take it apart and clean with a cotton bud and towel. any tips for cleaning?

I just loosen it a little and run hot water through it. Usually gets it out of there.

okay, so here is my last week with R89:
    it came with one Derby blade and I add-on / separately ordered 10 Personna blades. I have fairly hard type of facial hairs and I have to say that Derby moved seamlessly on my face, the Personna appears not as sharp as Derby.
    I think I will order the set of samples and do some more comparison (kind of waiting for Feathers).
    I decided not to bother with the brush and I'm still using my Nivea aerosol can, the next cream would be most likely brushless sort of thing.
    Gillette aftershave balm is bit strong on my skin (I get a bit red colour and feel kind of hot), maybe because it contains alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

cson wrote: »
    Day 1...

Not a nick in sight. Was very careful and probably erred too much on the side of caution as the shave isn't as close as I like in places. The pre/post shave proraso cream nearly blew the face off me, its seriously strong. Other than that, yeah I reckon I'm a convert. Using the Gilette blade. Probably took 5 mins more than my Mach 3.

I really love that menthol smell off proraso, it's just such a god damn rousing smell. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

http://www.shaving.ie/products/100-astra-superior-platinum-de-blades-carton.html

Just for the new converts, that is pretty much what you can pay for a years supply of blades....ten euro.....the price saving alone is worth the conversion, nevermind the better experience.

I'm DE shaving two years now, I got a big sampler pack courtesy of shaving.ie when I first ordered my razor, and I bought that bulk pack over a year ago, barely near the end of it.

Like everything niche and funky like this (looking at you vaping) I'm trying to look for the new thing, I've been on my starter stuff now two years, looking to get a bit more fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Anyone any advice for shaving against the grain? I usually go with the grain, but today I tried it against with a feather blade ( a few days use already off it). I ended up with blood/cuts all over the place. The shave is the best ever in terms of smoothness but it still stings.

Advertisement