Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow GAA Discussion Thread

• 05-03-2014 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

Might end being a bit of a ghost thread, but said it would be worth creating considering we are less than 2 weeks away from St. Patrick's Day and MLR in the All-Ireland Hurling Club Championship final.

This weekend will also see a double header in Dr. Cullen Park with the footballers taking on Antrim at 12.45 and the hurlers going up against Derry at 2.30.

Meanwhile, the county under 21 footballers are in action tonight vs Dublin at 7.30 in Carlow IT.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

What sort of numbers supporting MLR would you expect to see in Croke Park on St Patrick's Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Considering there was an overall attendance vs Oulart of around 7,000 (about 60-65% of which was for Mount Leinster Rangers) I would certainly expect 5,000 at the least to make the journey.

With Carlow being so staved of success at inter-county level, the entire county will always rally around the county champions when it comes to the Club Championship. Both Eire Og and the Blues received the same support when they had their success in football during the 90's.

Nearly all clubs are sending at least one bus load up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Great to see a Carlow thread here. Should be enough happening to keep it from being a ghost thread. Between MLR's great run, & the Carlow Hurlers effort to make the breakthrough to the next level should mean there is interest and some positive posts here.

As for the footballers, well the less said the better and I see Rainbow will still not walk away. Sad to see how low Carlow football is right now.

Fear that this evening our U-21 footballers will be in for another hammering from Dublin. Was at the game in Parnell Park last year where we lost by 37 points. This evening could be something similar. Hope I'm wrong but doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Think we may knock the football on the heed and stick with the hurling!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

Stevecw wrote: »
    Great to see a Carlow thread here. Should be enough happening to keep it from being a ghost thread. Between MLR's great run, & the Carlow Hurlers effort to make the breakthrough to the next level should mean there is interest and some positive posts here.

As for the footballers, well the less said the better and I see Rainbow will still not walk away. Sad to see how low Carlow football is right now.

Fear that this evening our U-21 footballers will be in for another hammering from Dublin. Was at the game in Parnell Park last year where we lost by 37 points. This evening could be something similar. Hope I'm wrong but doubt it.

Best of luck to the small fish (as Davy would say) MLR on paddy a day . Bookies have spread at 25 points for the U21s .. Doesn't look good even with home adv

• Advertisement

Didn't get to make it up to the IT, but by all accounts its been a massacre.

Dublin 2-23 to 0-3 points in front and its not even over. Carlow football in big trouble.

That's 2years running the dubs have whopped us in this grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Not quite as bad but only scoring 3 points isn't great :/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Great win for your footballers against Antrim.

Two wins for Carlow today, good stuff

• Advertisement

Was up at Dr. Cullen today and was great to see both the hurlers and footballers grab wins.

Have to say, I really didn't expect the footballers to win that. For most of the 2nd half Antrim primarily maintained a 4/6 point lead, with Carlow struggling to crawl it back. Both I was delighted to see the team continuing to fight and not give up. Carlow actually looked the fitter team in the final minutes, as Antrim began to fade.

Paul Brodrick was outstanding today, scored some fantastic points from play with both feet and always had the beating of his man. Seamus Kinsella was also impressive and his goals made the difference. I think Kinsella scored 2-4 (all from play) while Brodrick scored about 10 points.

I think Carlow will need to tighten up at the back as Antrim were able to do alot of damage and Carlow struggled to live with them at times. But all in all, great to see the team fighting back to win it at the end against one of the promotion favorites.

As for the hurles, they were in a different league to Derry and they didn't even play that well. Carlow were quite sloppy at times and handed possession over easily far too often. But they didn't need to be at their given how poor Derry were. Carlow did have some good performers though in Mark Brennan, David English and especially Sean Murphy. The fullback line to their credit also give up very little.

So a rare double win today sets it up nicely for St. Paddy's day and MLR in the club All-Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Is Paul Cashin playing any football these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Excellent win for your footballers today, wouldn't have given ye much hope against a decent enough Antrim side who are going well. High-scoring game... hopefully ye build on that, should be a big confidence boost.

Bit of an outsider perspective here from Tipp man who studies in the IT. Firstly congrats on today's win and credit goes to the setup after the bad day out last week to rally the troops for today. These performances are well within Carlows sphere only perhaps due to squad size and overall pick its difficult to do it consistently.

Secondly i think the GAA men in your county deserve tremendous pat on the back for the trojan work they do.
    Carlow are against all the odds competing with Rugby (which seems traditionally strong even before the success of SOB) and Soccer.

You have a relatively small population of 55k in comparison with the likes of 1.5m Dublin and yet still maintain both codes within the intercounty game and the success of the excellent MLR will hopefully drive not just hurling, but the whole GAA county to greater heights. MLR's rise is a story which really warms the heart and i hope they pull off a shock on Paddy's day.

Alot of positives to be taken. You have a good hurling core within the county with some really talented young players like Marty Kavanagh coming through. Ye beat the dubs last year at u21....A county with six senior teams beat the team with the likes of Ciaran Kilkenny, Cormac Costello, and Danny Sutcliffe.
    The footballers are definitely capable of more and should stick with Rainbow. I remember they gave a performance at Semple Stadium last year that very few teams would live with. I thought ye could be in division 3 this year but for whatever reasons it just didnt happen.

Best of luck for 2014 and hopefully the powers that be will do more to give ye a fighting chance of competing with the big boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I presume theres been no MLR players in the last few matches ,so must be satisfying wins for Carlow .

I presume theres been no MLR players in the last few matches ,so must be satisfying wins for Carlow .

I forgot to congratulate the hurlers. TBH i was wondering how MLR absence would affect them but impressive showing so far. Id imagine theyll pip Kerry to promotion. We could be playing ye next year the way things are going and it could be two points there for ye be it Dr Cullen or Semple :pac:

Is Paul Cashin playing any football these days?

Was out injured with a serious knee injury the last I heard. Didn't play for Eire Og last year and not involved in current county set-up.
    Bit of an outsider perspective here from Tipp man who studies in the IT. Firstly congrats on today's win and credit goes to the setup after the bad day out last week to rally the troops for today. These performances are well within Carlows sphere only perhaps due to squad size and overall pick its difficult to do it consistently.

Secondly i think the GAA men in your county deserve tremendous pat on the back for the trojan work they do.
    Carlow are against all the odds competing with Rugby (which seems traditionally strong even before the success of SOB) and Soccer.

You have a relatively small population of 55k in comparison with the likes of 1.5m Dublin and yet still maintain both codes within the intercounty game and the success of the excellent MLR will hopefully drive not just hurling, but the whole GAA county to greater heights. MLR's rise is a story which really warms the heart and i hope they pull off a shock on Paddy's day.

Alot of positives to be taken. You have a good hurling core within the county with some really talented young players like Marty Kavanagh coming through. Ye beat the dubs last year at u21....A county with six senior teams beat the team with the likes of Ciaran Kilkenny, Cormac Costello, and Danny Sutcliffe.
    The footballers are definitely capable of more and should stick with Rainbow. I remember they gave a performance at Semple Stadium last year that very few teams would live with. I thought ye could be in division 3 this year but for whatever reasons it just didnt happen.

Best of luck for 2014 and hopefully the powers that be will do more to give ye a fighting chance of competing with the big boys.

Promotion in all honesty was never really on the cards for this team coming into the season. They struggled for numbers at the beginning of training, several high profile players in the county didn't declare themselves available and then the departure of Brendan Murphy at the start of the campaign. In the teams first game against Tipp, then were battered by a fitter and hungrier side. I know losing Broderick in the opening minutes to a red card didn't help, but they were blown away regardless.

But yesterday might be the turning point needed, as they will go in confident for their remaining games. With Wicklow, London, Clare and Waterford left, I think two wins would give them enough confidence and belief going into the Championship.

The hurlers have been very impressive considering they are missing at least 5 starters from the MLR side. To have already wrapped up a place in the Division 2A final with two games left is a testament to the great work being done in Carlow hurling.

What this means is that the MLR players won't have to be rushed back against Westmeath in their final game. I don't think Meyler will be giving away too much next week vs Kerry in Tralee. Could see the side being rotated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Great day in DCP yesterday, very unexpected win for the footballers followed by another handy win by the hurlers.

Amazing fightback by the footballers, 6 points down with 8 to go couldn't see us pulling it back.
    To be honest at that stage we were lucky not to be further behind. Antrim had so many chances of goals, Andy O'Brien pulled off at least 3 saves and terrible decisions by Antrim forwards cost them at least another 2 or 3. Could very easily have been 6-15 for Antrim, and then things would be very different.
    But it was a spirited display by Carlow, Broderick gave the best forwards display in a Carlow jersey I've seen since Simon Rea was at his best. Seamus Kinsella was class too, his 1st goal was quality. Between them they got 2-13 I think it was.

Defence is a serious problem tho, how many times were we cut open with simple runs thru the middle. Bambrick is a decent player, but never a no 6, Shane Redmond is not the answer at full back either. We were very lucky as I said that we didn't concede at least 6 goals.
    Richie Mahon played really well, best of the backs for me. Gahan burst forward to great effect, but no way in RHB his best position. Ware did well at mf apart from his brain freeze when clean thru at the end. Obviously Broderick and Kinsella were class in the forwards and have to mention Willie Minchin who roamed all over the field to great effect. Probably the best game I've seen him have in a Carlow jersey.

It was a great win and the cheers and jumping around we all did in the stand, plus the standing ovation said a lot. Carlow football needed something like this so so badly. More than ever after the week we had, the U-21s being hammered again and the disgraceful comments from the Co chairman about pulling out of Co football.

Hopefully now we can get another win or 2 before the league ends.

The hurlers got the job done in no time, blitzed Derry and had the game wrapped up in a few mins. Rest of the game was killing time really, and giving the squad members a run.
    The next 2 games now mean nothing really, which is a pity in a way as we need some competitive games before the 2A final and hopefully a play off against a 1b side.
    Fair play to the lads, and to Meyler who unlike Rainbow with the footballers looks interested and encourages from the sideline.

All in all a rare double victory for Carlow and we all went home happy. Looing forward to next weekend and Wicklow in DCP on Sunday and of course MLR on Paddys day.

Interesting statement from the Carlow Co Chairman the other day. Cant link it at the moment due to their being a server block on the hoganstand website on the network im using but basically he stated that their gross earning from the league v Down recently was €75 :eek: And that's before expenses are taken into account it would then probably have been a loss making situation.

€350 was the total taken in at the gate and apparently one fifth of that each goes back to the counties. Even €350 wouldn't have left you with much gross profit too be honest.

There really is a severe imbalance that has to be addressed at HQ level. Fair enough the Dublin argument that its not their fault they are a more attractive advertising product and i take their argument but for the good of the game there should be some sort of 'Tax' above certain earnings for counties to redistribute back into the game. Its just unfair that some have all the resources while others struggle. Not a pop at Dublin or other counties and it isnt their fault but the GAA need to look at ways at levelling the playing field.

Dreadful performance today by the footballers. Wicklow by far the better team and moved the ball well. Totally dominated at midfield. Carlow were very sloppy in possession at times and conceded some very soft scores. Paul Broderick again was outstanding and Carlow's only real player of note, apart from maybe O'Brien in goal.

The hurlers were beaten in Kerry, but with a final spot already sown up, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Well, only one day now to MLR in the club final. Would be unbelievable if they could pull it off. Best of luck to the lads tomorrow.

• Advertisement

TaosHum wrote: »
    Dreadful performance today by the footballers. Wicklow by far the better team and moved the ball well. Totally dominated at midfield. Carlow were very sloppy in possession at times and conceded some very soft scores. Paul Broderick again was outstanding and Carlow's only real player of note, apart from maybe O'Brien in goal.

The hurlers were beaten in Kerry, but with a final spot already sown up, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Well, only one day now to MLR in the club final. Would be unbelievable if they could pull it off. Best of luck to the lads tomorrow.

How many MLR lads on the hurling panel by the way? They will definitely make a huge difference to what is an already strong Carlow panel in terms of Division 2a. Looks like we will be playing each other in 1b in next year the way things are going.

How many MLR lads on the hurling panel by the way? They will definitely make a huge difference to what is an already strong Carlow panel in terms of Division 2a. Looks like we will be playing each other in 1b in next year the way things are going.

Your definetly looking at 5/6 on the starting 15 with another 3/4 on the panel. Richard Coady, Diarmuid Byrne and Denis Murphy will make a big impact when they return.

TaosHum wrote: »
    Your definetly looking at 5/6 on the starting 15 with another 3/4 on the panel. Richard Coady, Diarmuid Byrne and Denis Murphy will make a big impact when they return.

Huge, especially Murphy who is a a ball of class

I recall a few inter-county matches in 2012 , and there were only 2 MLR players on the first 15

I know this will change now , and they will deserve it.

Best of Luck in the final MLR .

I recall a few inter-county matches in 2012 , and there were only 2 MLR players on the first 15

I know this will change now , and they will deserve it.

Best of Luck in the final MLR .

Strange enough really because MLR won the title that year. Anyways best of luck to them tomorrow. Have huge respect for Portumna as a club but i hope the underdog takes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Best of luck to MLR today,be great to see them pull off the win.

Best of luck to MLR today,be great to see them pull off the win.

Only 4 points down at half-time , I hope MLR can improve in the 2nd .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

What was the red card for? I've watched it back and can't see anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Gael85

MLR getting nothing from referee.Any time Joe Canning falls he gets a free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭kksaints

Hard luck to MLR. They can be very proud of their effort. Just lacking that small bit of quality compared to Portumna.

Advertisement