Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭josip

Heroditas wrote: »
    Is that picture back to front by any chance? If not, where was it taken from?
    The angles look all wrong

I think it would have been taken just below the entrance to Hartleys.
    The angles seem consistent

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/182/111661.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

It's taken from outside Hartleys (or Kingstown Station as it probably was at the time).

It's looking towards where the library is now. The old entrance to the old Pavillion is on the corner where Meadows & Byrne is now. The church in the background is the Maritime Museum. The cabs in the foreground are more or less where the roundabout is when you come down Marine Road, pass the CoCo offices and cross the road into the harbour.

z

p.s. I always think of the old Golden Pages ad when someone mentions Hartleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Thanks guys, I had initially forgotten about the Maritime Museum! My ninja edit was not quite speedy enough (I blame the tablet). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Somebody mentioned on here that Dunnes own all of the units between their off licence and McDonalds. The colour co-ordination would suggest that is correct.

Did/Do they intend on doing anything with them? They're the biggest eyesore on the entire street.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If you let a unit go beyond fit for purpose as a business premises, you can stop paying rates on it (or so I was told). Sounds like that's Dunnes option in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

frash wrote: »

They can dress it up whatever way they like.
    The retailers have forced the non-retail businesses in the town to subsidise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

josip wrote: »
    They can dress it up whatever way they like.
    The retailers have forced the non-retail businesses in the town to subsidise them.

...if the Council adopt the B.I.D. 27% of the popular vote as the article estimates it, is hardly a convincing lever for passing it, especially in a local election season when the politicians just want to avoid banana skins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Result tonight was: 24 Councillors voted in favour of BID, 3 against and 1 absent as far as I know. BID is not the perfect solution by any means but it's there now and should be given a chance to succeed.

Simon

SimonMaher wrote: »
    Result tonight was: 24 Councillors voted in favour of BID, 3 against and 1 absent as far as I know. BID is not the perfect solution by any means but it's there now and should be given a chance to succeed.

Simon

I asked the BID proposers twice before voting, how the BID would benefit our business and other similar non-retail businesses in the district. I never got an answer. I couldn't attend the information evening with Vincent Browne due to work committments.

"A council spokesman said taking of legal action against those who will not pay the levy would be a matter for the BID company."

They expect to take in €250,000 per year. I wonder how much of that they are prepared to spend on legal fees chasing businesses that don't pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Towns and villages as we know it are dead. When are people going to realise that. What small retailer could compete with the giants like Tesco etc.

Rezone the empty properties back to housing. More people living back on the high street, could eventually bring a town back to life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Chinasea wrote: »
    Towns and villages as we know it are dead. When are people going to realise that. What small retailer could compete with the giants like Tesco etc.

Rezone the empty properties back to housing. More people living back on the high street, could eventually bring a town back to life.

Dunno about that now. I mean I was down in DL today and bought a jacket in Elverys, a book in Easons, and sweets in the Old Sweet Shop.

edit: the shops I'd mainly go to in DL would be Elverys, Shaws, Penneys, Dubrays, Easons, The Sweet Shop, Super Valu, BK, and MacDonalds really. I'd go for a look in Lifestyle and Golden Disks too. Then there's the Cinema as well.

Id have said towns and villages were starting to come back to life.

The UK has seen a massive backlash against out-of-town centres as people get more concerned about sustainable and local food and goods and the cost of fuelling cars.

With regard to Dun Laoghaire, Ive said before that if the old Shopping Centre were demolished and returned to mixed residential and street level shop use it would return balance to the profile of the town and the number of shop units would be about right.

The return of more people to live in the centre of the town in the 2 or 3 large sites that are either planned or under construction will be a big help

Unfortunately didn't have enough charge on my phone yesterday to take a photo, but the Marine Road entrance to Dun Loaoghaire Shopping Centre was absolutely disgustingly filthy and for that matter most days.

Not exactly inviting.

The place had the strewn cursed bottles and cigarette buts and other debris down the ramp into the SC. There was some stains from puke from the night before also. Why the pavement and the entrance is not regularly power hosed is beyond me.

Haven't noticed the same welcoming committee in Dundrum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Unfortunately didn't have enough charge on my phone yesterday to take a photo, but the Marine Road entrance to Dun Loaoghaire Shopping Centre was absolutely disgustingly filthy and for that matter most days.

Not exactly inviting.

The place had the strewn cursed bottles and cigarette buts and other debris down the ramp into the SC. There was some stains from puke from the night before also. Why the pavement and the entrance is not regularly power hosed is beyond me.

Haven't noticed the same welcoming committee in Dundrum!

The pavements in Dun Laoghaire town centre are disgusting. A refresh and/or some simple maintenance would vastly improve the place.

Interesting sign up in 64 wines in Glasthule. It looks like DLRCOCO are to tax street furniture. Way to go council, piss all your money away on vanity projects for visitors, then destroy the towns for the locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

€50 a year charge. Had a visit from them myself. :pac:

The only time the pavements didn't seem so mankey was after the thaw of the 2010 snow! Why they can't be power hosed is beyond me. Town is the same.

Saw an interesting report on a county council in the UK who had run out of money and local volunteers ran/helped out with services such as street cleaning, running the local public pool etc. Lets face it, they wouldn't be hard to beat. I for one would love to see this in Dun L.
    Look at that horrendous tarmacadamed park on Libary Road. What a joke. How many people have ever managed yo get into the grimest park in the world.

First time I heard of the CoCo charging for tables and chairs and sandwich boards on the public footpath was about 12 years ago, had the licencing gone by the wayside?

Ayone know of a pharmacy/health store where I can get safflower oil in the Dun Laoghaire area?
    You can get it online for about €7 a 500ml bottle but delivery is then twice that.
    (It's high in Linoleic acid and is a good moisturiser for eczema in case you're wondering)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

josip wrote: »
    Ayone know of a pharmacy/health store where I can get safflower oil in the Dun Laoghaire area?
    You can get it online for about €7 a 500ml bottle but delivery is then twice that.
    (It's high in Linoleic acid and is a good moisturiser for eczema in case you're wondering)

You could try the Punnet in Glasthule

• Advertisement

Look at that horrendous tarmacadamed park on Libary Road. What a joke. How many people have ever managed yo get into the grimest park in the world.

You do realise thats a playground with lined game courts and rubber surface finishes around the swings and slides rather than a 'tarmacadamed park' and theres been a hard surface playground there since at least the 70's, I used to love it myself! It might be a bit drab but it has a purpose, theres a load of green park options around if thats what youre after

No, not
    really seeing "lots of green park play grounds" around .The lovely Peoples park, and thats it really. I say the park in Libary Road should be handed to the public to Man as A pilot project, we might actually be able to get in once in a century, and we mighy even manage it with a smile. While I am it, the toilets in the Peoples park stink. Why are they not kept cleaner. And why are there no toilet facilities on the pier. BID my a**.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There's some portaloos in the battery at the end.

Why portaloos. The pier is how old. It really is not difficult to manage public toilets. Can't cook won't cook. Sham.

No, not
    really seeing "lots of green park play grounds" around .

Don't quote me and yet mis-quote me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why portaloos. The pier is how old. It really is not difficult to manage public toilets. Can't cook won't cook. Sham.

I imagine that any kind of toilet (bar the ones that are closed) would need to be chemical toilets or dump straight in to the harbour. so for the moment portaloos do the job.

i imagine the ones that closed are because of the local junkies tha tth council and gardai fail to deal with adequately.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Don't quote me and yet mis-quote me.

My point is: the park on Library Road is a sham. It opens for a few obscure moments at obsure times. Why not hand it over to the public to manage as a pilot project. It is in such a central location, and it is an out and out waste of space. Hand it over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Why would people want to use the grimest park in the world?

reprazant wrote: »
    Why would people want to use the grimest park in the world?

Because with a little tinchey bit of love and care it could be transformed. You know, love, care, all free. All absolutely free.

Volunteers always have abundance of this.

Hand it over to some of the caring citizens with some civic pride.

Some exist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I got a leaflet in the door last week saying that there are plans to reintroduce public toilets on the East Pier.

The only way for public toilets to work on places like the East Pier is to charge 20c or whatever to use them and have one person manning the entrance and cleaning the toilets. This is common practice in European cities and ensures that the toilets are always clean and that junkies/drunks etc are kept from wrecking the place. Hopefully this will be the route that the council takes should they actually make good on their promise.

Advertisement