Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Charles de Gaulle Aiport

Options
  • 09-03-2014 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm landing in CDG on Wednesday and might have some time on my hands to look around. I think CDG is the 2nd busiest airport in Europe so I was thinking it would be a good place to see some nice aircraft and just get a feel for the airport itself.

Would I be right, and if so what would people recommend for me to do, or is it a hell hole that I need to just sit down, wait for my girlfriend, and leave?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭droidman123

Fabio wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm landing in CDG on Wednesday and might have some time on my hands to look around. I think CDG is the 2nd busiest airport in Europe so I was thinking it would be a good place to see some nice aircraft and just get a feel for the airport itself.

Would I be right, and if so what would people recommend for me to do, or is it a hell hole that I need to just sit down, wait for my girlfriend, and leave?
    to be honest Its a bit of a s*hithole of an airport. theres something really weird about it, the design or layout, I cant quite put my finger on it, but I know I couldn't wait to get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I agree with Droidman tbh. Isn't there some weird regulation now that you must have police permission to take photos ? .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

It looks interesting online and I have been there once before but it was a few years back. I've heard no good reports of it so I'm even pre-ordering lunch on the plane with Aer Lingus rather than find eats in CDG! I kinda posted here to see if anyone would have some amazing thing that would redeem it hahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

to be honest Its a bit of a s*hithole of an airport. theres something really weird about it, the design or layout, I cant quite put my finger on it, but I know I couldn't wait to get out of it.

+1

The architect must have been tripping. The terminal with all the tubes is a severe eyesore. I didn't see any opportunities for plane spototing except at the Gate.

It looks interesting online and I have been there once before but it was a few years back. I've heard no good reports of it so I'm even pre-ordering lunch on the plane with Aer Lingus rather than find eats in CDG! I kinda posted here to see if anyone would have some amazing thing that would redeem it hahaha!

Indeed the food and drink there are stupid prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Hi all,

What airline are you arriving with and from where? And connecting on to where? I've been through the place about 20 times so I can give some reasonable advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

Great views from the EI gates....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It's not all that passenger friendly to be honest. At the EI gates there will be some views and some heavies can get real close but there are precious little amenities even the shopping is crap and as for the food options... In a weird way I like the mental design and they have updated it a little over the last 2 years but that's the atheistic it's still not people friendly. Delayed waiting for my EI flight for 3 hours last year... My only option was to get a bit drunk so I did.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'm not a fan at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

That said it does beat the alternative of flying with Ryanair via Beauvais (''Paris Beauvais'' :rolleyes:) !

Lucky you is all I can say, I have once, never again haha! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

I don't find it that bad but only used it once to catch EI flight last year. Thought it was a nice light and airy place.

(actually now I remember I was stuck there a few years ago after missing connection to US due to delay on incoming flight) can't remember much about it from then either so I mist not have had any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The worst part about CDG can be if a widebody is going from the satellite that EI use at the same time as an EI flight.

The queues at the security to get into the satellite can be horrific.

Seems like it was built without expansion in mind....

Anyway I'm flying Cork to Paris and then have to wait in the airport for my girlfriend to arrive. Not connecting to anywhere so it's not that big a deal really. Thankfully I think!

Anyway I'm flying Cork to Paris and then have to wait in the airport for my girlfriend to arrive. Not connecting to anywhere so it's not that big a deal really. Thankfully I think!

At least you get to travel through a fabulous airport here in the South, and free wi-fi for you comfort. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

If I were going to hang around CDG for any reason, I'd go to Terminal 2 and have a wander around depending on how much time you have.

I like CDG. You can - and I have regularly managed this - be walking around the centre of Paris less than 60 minutes after you touch down. The same cannot be said of Heathrow. I'd happily transit CDG any time. I don't think T1 is particular pretty but it works.

I can't believe I'm recommending a McDonalds but back in the day when I didn't have lounge access in CDG the McDonalds in Terminal 2B was a great stop for free wifi. Terminal 2B is not that far from Terminal 1. You will arrive into T1 from Cork, and you will have to walk through T2A or 2B to get to any other terminal if your girlfriend is not arriving into T1. If she is coming from Dublin with Aer Lingus she will also arrive in T1. If she is coming from Dublin with AF she will arrive in 2E.

I checked my records, I've been through it 23 times.... and by god is CDG a see you next tuesday of an airport.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Calina wrote: »
    If I were going to hang around CDG for any reason, I'd go to Terminal 2 and have a wander around depending on how much time you have.

I like CDG. You can - and I have regularly managed this - be walking around the centre of Paris less than 60 minutes after you touch down. The same cannot be said of Heathrow. I'd happily transit CDG any time. I don't think T1 is particular pretty but it works.

This isn't true. I've managed on several occasions to get from the aircraft at Heathrow, down to the railway station, and then taken a Heathrow Connect to Paddington, all in 45 minutes and then walk out into central London.

Try 2E to 2G when coming from Dublin with AF.

Land easterly on 09L, taxi for 25 minutes to 2G for the remote stand Cityjet have out there. Get on a pax bus to 2E for "arrival". On that bus you will pass the "Bienvenue a Charles De Gaulle" sign which is at the entrance to the airport. Walk out of 2E to get a shuttle bus to 2G, pass the same sign going back out to 2G, fart about through security and then board a plane 30 metres away from the one you just got off.

No chance your luggage will make the connection though.

My girlfriend is working in France for a while but is in Istanbul for a few days and, I think, is arriving from there into T1. I think. She said she'd try meet me around "arrivals". I'll probably get lost trying to look at aircraft :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

Gotta love the 45 mins allowed by AF to connect from 2E to 2F. With all the bussing and trains if is nigh on impossible to complete on time. As for baggage forget it.

lol maybe that's why I missed the connection. Honestly can't remember

I remember one connection like that ( also 2E to 2F .... The bus went around in decreasing circles until it disappears .... then I run from 2E to 2F and through to the gate JUST make it .... on the bus again going around in circles .

I then board the aircraft 20 yds from the aircraft I got off !!

The only good part was sitting on the aircraft seeing a bloke wonder over to my first aircraft grab my bag and stroll to the second aircraft and throw it on !

If you really want to see a dump try T3 !!!

That's basically a shed they throw the airlines they want to forget .

Looks like I have a few hours to spare on the way home...might make use of the McDonald's suggestion for wifi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

It is a disaster if you have to transfer there.
    Tried it last month, 1:15 hrs from landing on one airline to connecting on Air France / City Jet and that included collecting my baggage as i was using staff tickets. But i have to admit that it was at 6am :)
    Landed there again last night from Rome, no dramas, queues or hassle, so I have to admit that i like the airport. Due to the number of runways, its not spotter friendly, but it worth having a look around.

Advertisement