Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Random Lego chatter!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Just got email from Lego mentioning new sets and had a browse online. There have been some architecture sets in recent years that I wasn't mad on and instead opted to invest in Nanoblocks, but I must say I like the look of 21019. It's just a pity those sets always seem pricey enough relative to number of bricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

g0g wrote: »
    Just got email from Lego mentioning new sets and had a browse online. There have been some architecture sets in recent years that I wasn't mad on and instead opted to invest in Nanoblocks, but I must say I like the look of 21019. It's just a pity those sets always seem pricey enough relative to number of bricks.

Even more expensive when you count in brick size too. Its not like it takes a lot of plastic...

Not a fan of architecture line at all. some sets do look cool, but I would not touch them for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Yeah the only one I actually own is the White House as I couldn't resist when it was reduced to £ 26 on Amazon last year. Still haven't gotten around to building it though!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Even more expensive when you count in brick size too. Its not like it takes a lot of plastic...

Not a fan of architecture line at all. some sets do look cool, but I would not touch them for that price.

The houses in the Architecture sets (Farnsworth House, Villa Savoye, Falling Water) are the best value in terms of price per brick and the worst value are the "landmarks" like Big Ben etc. I like some of the Architecture range but Lego could definitely be doing more with it IMO.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The houses in the Architecture sets (Farnsworth House, Villa Savoye, Falling Water) are the best value in terms of price per brick and the worst value are the "landmarks" like Big Ben etc. I like some of the Architecture range but Lego could definitely be doing more with it IMO.

Depends how you look at the Value. Keep in mind, maybe price per brick is good, but you just look what sort of bricks you getting. Its mostly just 2x1 plates etc. Wheres lets say something like 42009 has a HUGE panels.

• Advertisement

I was watching this and he mentions Thumbler UCS in 2014. I can really see this to be AWESOME!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

This might be the place to put this rather than opening a new thread, but does anybody know a good resource for finding out what sets would be good to get if you are looking for certain bricks? Say I'm looking for a lot of long grey bricks and some blacks, is there a database online that might tell me what sets might fit the bill? Tried just looking at boxes of all kinds in Smyths but it can be hard to tell what's what on a lot of stuff.

GodlessM wrote: »
    This might be the place to put this rather than opening a new thread, but does anybody know a good resource for finding out what sets would be good to get if you are looking for certain bricks? Say I'm looking for a lot of long grey bricks and some blacks, is there a database online that might tell me what sets might fit the bill? Tried just looking at boxes of all kinds in Smyths but it can be hard to tell what's what on a lot of stuff.

There are no perfect sets when you looking for specific parts. you better off buying parts you need from http://www.bricklink.com/messageTopics.asp instead. This way you will get ONLY parts you want and need. no point buying a set which will give you 10 parts you want and 300 that you dont, when you can buy 150 parts that you actually need for same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

have a look through here

Dark Grey

Grey

Black

If you find the bits you are looking for click the "in x Sets" link to find the sets the parts are in.

You'll get a list of sets, if you click into each set you can then see a break down of all parks in that set.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

DSC_0198_zpsviuubdr5.jpg

1166722232_1392905918.png

DSC_0199_zps85qkl6yy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

what model is that .....

DSC_0198_zpsviuubdr5.jpg

1166722232_1392905918.png

DSC_0199_zps85qkl6yy.jpg

I wont tell, but there are hints! :pac: I was building for few hours anly made a scratch in it. I did a break, but will be back to it in a bit! :D

I wont tell, but there are hints! :pac: I was building for few hours anly made a scratch in it. I did a break, but will be back to it in a bit! :D

YOU TEASE! :D ....aah jaysus! i want to know. 10+ numbered polybags :confused:
    Looks like a huge set....is it the Death Star or Super Star Destroyer?

Love yer Flickr pics....you have some juicy Technic sets i really want :(

A HA!....all them brown parts!....the new Sea Cow?

jenjenten wrote: »
    A HA!....all them brown parts!....the new Sea Cow?

Nope!

It's the Tower of Orthanc, in the first picture you can see the back of the box peeking out from behind the left hand monitor. Shadow has also been going on about building it for awhile.

I don't see the big deal, it's only 2,400 black pieces in one container...

It's the Tower of Orthanc, in the first picture you can see the back of the box peeking out from behind the left hand monitor. Shadow has also been going on about building it for awhile.

I don't see the big deal, it's only 2,400 black pieces in one container...

I had no Space where to put it, but I sorted out my space here, so I got a sweet spot for it.

There were loads of numbered bags, but its not as fun to build it like that. I just piled everything in 2 containers and the Tree dude in separate one.

there are a lot of black pieces... I like it though, I always hated the rainbow builds Lego is so fond off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Good man Shadow. Hardcore mode enabled!

Finally finished it today. It is the most challenging and longest build I ever did. Looks really cool when done. Great display Piece. The tree Dude is a lot cooler then I expected too.

Sorry for Crappy picture. I will try to get better ones later. If anyone wondering if its worth 200 quid price - it worth every penny.

DSC_0201_zpslayiu5df.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

My only gripe with it as a mini is that it doesn't have a back on it. A swinging or removable back would have been easy to achieve, and I'm certainly going to build one into mine when I get it.

• Advertisement

GodlessM wrote: »
    My only gripe with it as a mini is that it doesn't have a back on it. A swinging or removable back would have been easy to achieve, and I'm certainly going to build one into mine when I get it.

Its still nice. As display piece I got it front facing, so you dont see it has no back. I was thinking same way like you, that it Really needed a back, but after I built it - it works.

I would not mind getting second one second hand cheaper and do the back to some day, but I am not losing any sleep over it now.

How long was the build time? Seems like you got through it fairly quick.

How long was the build time? Seems like you got through it fairly quick.

Well, I don't know about that. You see, up until this tower I always managed to do a set in one day.
    I started this set at whatever time I did those photos and with few breaks I was building it up until 2:00 at night. Then a good few hours on Sunday and maybe 2 hours more on Monday to finish it off.

I though that technic sets are harder to build, but now I think the other way around. Such big sets have so many different parts, where technic sets are pretty much beam and pin constructions.
    I am really itching for sea cow now or I will wait for that batman tumbler set later this year.

^ lol....when i started out with Technic i had the 9395 set....954 pieces i belive, it took me 18 hours!....LOL!
    Now that i'm used to building i would build the same set in a quarter of the time.
    Separating the pieces is a must imo!, if you dump everything into a box it can take AGES moving pieces around the box trying to locate one feckin piece!

Hardcore mode?...maybe, but very frustrating!....small plastic containers is the only job, separate all them pins and connectors out.

^ lol....when i started out with Technic i had the 9395 set....954 pieces i belive, it took me 18 hours!....LOL!
    Now that i'm used to building i would build the same set in a quarter of the time.
    Separating the pieces is a must imo!, if you dump everything into a box it can take AGES moving pieces around the box trying to locate one feckin piece!

Hardcore mode?...maybe, but very frustrating!....small plastic containers is the only job, separate all them pins and connectors out.

Well, for me its more about process then efficiency. Putting everything in one tub is a lot more fun. The sound of lego in a tub is best sound ever :D.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I bought hobby boxes to separate all the pieces into for technic sets.

First SW set I actually like. I will never own it though after Price reveal... 299eu...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

First SW set I actually like. I will never own it though after Price reveal... 299eu...

Not a fan. Finish looks more like a large playset (which it really is) rather than the usual UCS. Price is mental alright. Looks pretty poor in comparison to the Cuusoo entry. While it would be prohibitive to make that, I still it shows that they could have done better.

thumb640x360.jpg

Cuusoo one is nice, yeah, but it would not be even remotely possible to make it as viable product. The prices would go in thousands!

I know its not perfect, but if it even managed to get attention of a person who is completely "meh" to SW franchise, then it means it did something right. Not the price though...

Still waiting on that UCS Thumbler to show up though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Still waiting on that UCS Thumbler to show up though...

That's still only a rumour though, so maybe best not to pin your hopes on it!

I like the Sandcrawler, but it's a hard sell at €299. It's also a really niche vehicle, very limited screen time so isn't as 'iconic' as the likes of the X-Wing or the Imperial Shuttle, so not sure how well it will do.

Advertisement