Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If the Moon were only one pixel ,,,

• 06-03-2014 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭

http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html

a.k.a. a tediously accurate map of the Solar System. In case you need a reminder of just how small we are compared to the Universe.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I need a break, half way there

• Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Small enough:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

it....................took..............................................sooooo................................................................................................long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

No Voyager.

:/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

where's that new planet gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

That was cool

I also still love Pluto

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Ain't nobody got time fo' dat! :)

Kidding - that's really cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

never_forget_pluto_tee.jpg?height=250&width=250&padToSquare=true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

My right-arrow key exploded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I want to scroll thought those other 6000 maps now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I was half expecting a rabbit or Bono at the end of it.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

where's that new planet gone?

What new planet? There are only 8

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    What new planet? There are only 8

Eris, technically it's now considered a dwarf planet like Pluto so I suppose that's why it's not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Superb link.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

emo72 wrote: »
    it....................took..............................................sooooo................................................................................................long
    says someone who didn't see the buttons at the top ... :cool:

I was pretty OK with the inner planets, but had forgotten that Jupiter was 5x as far from the Sun as the Earth, and Saturn almost 10x. No wonder SF book and movie writers have to invent ways of making distance less of a problem e.g. Warp Drive, Hyperdrive, etc. My favourite is the Alderson Drive from The Mote in God's Eye, which works - barely - and might just kill you in the process ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Yearning4Stormy

Awesome :) This is kinda similar, but in eye-bleeding scrollable 3D -> http://workshop.chromeexperiments.com/stars/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Another one from a couple of years ago. Goes outward and inward in scaled sizes of objects.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

bnt wrote: »
    says someone who didn't see the buttons at the top ... :cool:

If you used the buttons at the top, then you missed the point in the map, and all the text in between those vast distances!

Advertisement