Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Reserve Training

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

." It is always easy for those on the outside of an organisation to scoff after all what have they done . They have yet to prove themselves worthy to join. "

Its not a famous quote anyways,;)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

I would be worried alright about the number that will leave if they don't get the full time.
    Although a lot of the Reserves in my Area made it in to Batch one, so hopefully it will be a good news story and a load of them get the full time. That will certainly help keep the reserve going if a good few reserves go through.

Also a lot of us who can’t go for the full time, are getting sick and tired of waiting for these new powers. It makes every shift we work while waiting torturous. A lot of the full timers believe we won’t get the powers at this stage. I'm beginning to believe them. In June it will be 2 years since the announcement. If they are still waiting on a few reserves to go on the up skilling course, their service should be ended. One and three quarter years is long enough time to do the course. If they can't make the effort to make the "Trip to Tipp" for a day by now they never will.

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Yogi Bear wrote: »
    I would be worried alright about the number that will leave if they don't get the full time.
    Although a lot of the Reserves in my Area made it in to Batch one, so hopefully it will be a good news story and a load of them get the full time. That will certainly help keep the reserve going if a good few reserves go through.

Also a lot of us who can’t go for the full time, are getting sick and tired of waiting for these new powers. It makes every shift we work while waiting torturous. A lot of the full timers believe we won’t get the powers at this stage. I'm beginning to believe them. In June it will be 2 years since the announcement. If they are still waiting on a few reserves to go on the up skilling course, their service should be ended. One and three quarter years is long enough time to do the course. If they can't make the effort to make the "Trip to Tipp" for a day by now they never will.

It is dragging on a bit. Spoke to HRM they do confirm a number have not attended for training and do agree given the amount of time which has past they should be shown the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Seems to me they don't want these powers implemented and using that as an excuse. I find it hard to believe reserves are not willing to up skill and be given powers..

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

carzony wrote: »
    Seems to me they don't want these powers implemented and using that as an excuse. I find it hard to believe reserves are not willing to up skill and be given powers..

I do beleive there are some reserves that have not done the course, but i would say they are not doing hours also, and a bit of a clean out needs to happen. But i do also agree there may be a bit of not wanting us getting the powers also on top.

• Advertisement

Yogi Bear wrote: »
    I do beleive there are some reserves that have not done the course, but i would say they are not doing hours also, and a bit of a clean out needs to happen. But i do also agree there may be a bit of not wanting us getting the powers also on top.

I know that senior management do want the powers devolved following a recent meeting. HRM seems to the sticking point but keep the faith it wont be long.

Believe it thats the way it is unfortunaltey

Raider190 wrote: »
    Believe it thats the way it is unfortunaltey

I suppose there are wasters in every group no matter where you look. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lads, do ye work and do the reserves or are you at college or anything? I'm at college now and should be next year as well.. I wasn't gonna join the reserves but might throw an application in..

I suppose there are wasters in every group no matter where you look. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lads, do ye work and do the reserves or are you at college or anything? I'm at college now and should be next year as well.. I wasn't gonna join the reserves but might throw an application in..

Oh thought you were already a GR . If you fail the requirements for the full time it is a great alternative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

Carzony defo do , :)

• Advertisement

Oh thought you were already a GR . If you fail the requirements for the full time it is a great alternative

I'd only do it to see how well i'd get on through the process.. If I knew I couldnt join full time for whatever reason then I wouldnt bother atall..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DubDan

Has anyone else got called down for training next Thursday and Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dkg93

DubDan wrote: »
    Has anyone else got called down for training next Thursday and Friday.
    Yes finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DubDan

I think I will go down the Wednesday night makes more sense. I have to leave early on the Friday as I am flying to the uk which has been booked well in advance but I have to make up the hours I miss anyone know how and when I will have to do this???

I'd only do it to see how well i'd get on through the process.. If I knew I couldnt join full time for whatever reason then I wouldnt bother atall..

Not easy and takes time. To listen to some on this forum you would think it's just a matter of arriving in the park and signing a form. They haven't a clue of the commitment and dedication requiref

Not easy and takes time. To listen to some on this forum you would think it's just a matter of arriving in the park and signing a form. They haven't a clue of the commitment and dedication requiref

That's what puts me off. I'm ready to get stuck in now and don't wanna wait for anything near 2 years.. I'v a huge family so chances are i'd be waiting around a long time...

I wish it was more like the civil defence. I was interviewed and started training 2 weeks later :p:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I am not sure in the words of Raider190 whether you are "worthy" or not to be a Reserve

That's what puts me off. I'm ready to get stuck in now and don't wanna wait for anything near 2 years.. I'v a huge family so chances are i'd be waiting around a long time...

I wish it was more like the civil defence. I was interviewed and started training 2 weeks later :p:D:D

Why not put in the application see what happens . In fairness its not the same as the civil defence .

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    I am not sure in the words of Raider190 whether you are "worthy" or not to be a Reserve

Am sure he would be if he or she is prepared to put the work in. Some do and others just talk is that not right Santa Cruz

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bort_license

I've applied for the reserves awhile back, however I've placed my application through post.

Should this affect my application in anyway? Anyone else I know applied through e-mail!

• Advertisement

I've applied for the reserves awhile back, however I've placed my application through post.

Should this affect my application in anyway? Anyone else I know applied through e-mail!

i'm sure posting it is fine..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Am sure he would be if he or she is prepared to put the work in. Some do and others just talk is that not right Santa Cruz

Et tu Brute

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Et tu Brute

Render onto Cesar that which is Cesar's . Could be apt in this case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

Called the HQ 2day there no more classes till the end of the year start of next year , i told them to no longer continue my application , UK here i come

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    Called the HQ 2day there no more classes till the end of the year start of next year , i told them to no longer continue my application , UK here i come

Now that's a shame but all the best in the UK.. Knew they were coming close to the 1300 maximum number but that confirms it.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

Good luck hope it works out for ya. The wait is a killer .

RUNNER 1 wrote: »

Sorry to hear that now, hope you get on well in the Uk,

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that now, hope you get on well in the Uk,

Any news on your application to the reserves yet canyon

Any news on your application to the reserves yet canyon

Ya I got word about starting training alright but I couldn't get off due to work commitments :(

All I could do is put my name down for the next class whenever that will be who knows, but it was my only option!

Another waiting game ahead lol

• Advertisement

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Ya I got word about starting training alright but I couldn't get off due to work commitments :(

All I could do is put my name down for the next class whenever that will be who knows, but it was my only option!

Another waiting game ahead lol

Tough one . It may be next year before the next GR intake

Advertisement