Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New York, New York!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

dee_mc wrote: »
    Hi! I'm always on the lookout for good NY deals so here's what I came up with: I checked skyscanner.ie for random dates in April and found flights from Dublin to JFK via Heathrow for E504, and I checked booking.com for a hotel I can personally recommend (Quality Inn in Woodside, Queens) for the same dates, it came to just over E400 including taxes etc for the 4 nights.
    The hotel is 3 minutes walk from subway, 15-20 mins subway ride from Time Square. Should leave you with some shopping money!

http://www.skyscanner.ie/transport/flights/dub/nyca/140406/140410/airfares-from-dublin-to-new-york-in-april-2014.html?rtn=1
    http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/quality-inn-woodside.html?tab=1&origin=hp&error_url=%2Fhotel%2Fus%2Fquality-inn-woodside.en-gb.html%3Faid%3D356998%3Blabel%3Dgog235jc-hotel-XX-us-qualityNinnNwoodside-unspec-ie-com%3Bsid%3D51ac1002aefd280f33a086436c4ba31f%3Bdcid%3D1%3B&do_availability_check=on&aid=356998&dcid=1&label=gog235jc-hotel-XX-us-qualityNinnNwoodside-unspec-ie-com&sid=51ac1002aefd280f33a086436c4ba31f&checkin_monthday=6&checkin_year_month=2014-4&checkout_monthday=10&checkout_year_month=2014-4

Cheers for that!
    To be honest, i was thinking of staying outside Manhattan anyway, as I'd rather the moer chilled out bars for a bit of craic.
    I was very impressed with the flights; we're flying direct from Shannon in October for 520e a piece return. Now, a collegaue of mine mentioned that this maybe one of the flights, on the return journey, that stops in Dublin on the way back, but sure, who cares!! I'll be asleep anyway!
    If anyone else has other little gems of accomodation ideas, keep them coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

youngblood wrote: »
    Speaking of Budgets and hopefully seasoned travellers may help me out here but is a budget of 1600e (flights & accom) for 2 for 4 nights in new york in april pushin it a little?
    Any replies/info appreciated

It's normally about 500 for a return flight for one. That leaves ~600 for accommodation.

I know a place where you can stay dirt cheap (like $20 a night)... but you won't like it >:)

But really, if you're willing to not stay in a hotel then it can be done easily. Check airbnb.com. It's really good for decent, low price accommodation. Maybe look at Williamsburg and Astoria. They're just a few stops from Manhattan and nice areas.

It's normally about 500 for a return flight for one. That leaves ~600 for accommodation.

I know a place where you can stay dirt cheap (like $20 a night)... but you won't like it >:)

But really, if you're willing to not stay in a hotel then it can be done easily. Check airbnb.com. It's really good for decent, low price accommodation. Maybe look at Williamsburg and Astoria. They're just a few stops from Manhattan and nice areas.

Hey carl,

I just had a look at airbnb, it's unreal!! Have tou used this before and if so, what experience have you had with it?
    I have to admit that I was a bit sketchie at first, but it looks the business to be honest!
    Cheers in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

80s Child wrote: »
    Hey carl,

I just had a look at airbnb, it's unreal!! Have tou used this before and if so, what experience have you had with it?
    I have to admit that I was a bit sketchie at first, but it looks the business to be honest!
    Cheers in advance!

I live in New York, airbnb is legit. You should just make sure that anywhere you rent has plenty of reviews from previous tenants. When renting through them I would establish with the apartment owner whether the unit has any noise issues (this can be a problem here) and what the check-in/check-out procedure will be.

If this is your first time in the city I would stay in Manhattan. While Manhattan has famously become disneyfied and homogenized in recent years the majority of the best sights are still there and it's eminently walkable and bikeable, which isn't really true for the outer boroughs.

From your username I'll presume you're relatively young - I'd recommend you search airbnb for rentals in the following areas:

East Village - lots of bars and restaurants, some fading vestiges of the area's alternative culture.

Soho - Beautiful buildings with lots of shopping, pricey bars and restaurants. More than a little bit full of itself but undeniably beautiful.

West Village - Still has some jazz clubs and a somewhat bohemian atmosphere. Lots of restaurants, pretty streets, the parts east of 7th Avenue can be a bit tacky though with too many idiots drinking there on the weekends.

If you want to stay in Brooklyn I would really only consider WIlliamsburg. It's just one stop over the river on the L train and has tons of restaurants and nightlife in a walkable area. It's hipster central, which some people find amusing and others infuriating.

Avoid:
    Chinatown - fun to visit but a little too scuzzy to stay in

Times Square and Midtown - the absolute pits in almost every respect. Locals do not go here to dine (the food is appalling and overpriced) or to socialize. The shopping is better downtown (below 14th street) so is the nightlife. The only people on the streets are tourists and unhappy office workers who desperately wish they worked in another part of the city. The number one mistake Irish people make is staying here.

Financial District - very dead in the evenings, bad food, over crowded during the day.

Tribeca - parts are pretty but it's generally very overpriced and somewhat isolated from other parts of the city
    Upper East Side - boring people, not well served by the subway, not very interesting visually, proximity to Central Park and Museums is its only plus.

Queens: I live in Queens, it's a great place to live if you're here long term but honestly has relatively little for most visitors and large chunks of it are pretty grim visually, including Woodside.

Upper West Side: Parts of it are beautiful but it's relatively isolated from the rest of the city and has very little in terms of nightlife, cultural amenities and restaurants.

Jersey: Do not stay in Jersey. Do not go to Jersey. Do not get on a bus and go to Jersey Gardens or any of the other god awufl shopping destinations. You can get better deals downtown. Do NOT go to Jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Hey carl,

Cheers in advance!

What Paul_Hacket said!

• Advertisement

I live in New York, airbnb is legit. You should just make sure that anywhere you rent has plenty of reviews from previous tenants. When renting through them I would establish with the apartment owner whether the unit has any noise issues (this can be a problem here) and what the check-in/check-out procedure will be.

If this is your first time in the city I would stay in Manhattan. While Manhattan has famously become disneyfied and homogenized in recent years the majority of the best sights are still there and it's eminently walkable and bikeable, which isn't really true for the outer boroughs.

From your username I'll presume you're relatively young - I'd recommend you search airbnb for rentals in the following areas:

East Village - lots of bars and restaurants, some fading vestiges of the area's alternative culture.

Soho - Beautiful buildings with lots of shopping, pricey bars and restaurants. More than a little bit full of itself but undeniably beautiful.

West Village - Still has some jazz clubs and a somewhat bohemian atmosphere. Lots of restaurants, pretty streets, the parts east of 7th Avenue can be a bit tacky though with too many idiots drinking there on the weekends.

If you want to stay in Brooklyn I would really only consider WIlliamsburg. It's just one stop over the river on the L train and has tons of restaurants and nightlife in a walkable area. It's hipster central, which some people find amusing and others infuriating.

Avoid:
    Chinatown - fun to visit but a little too scuzzy to stay in

Times Square and Midtown - the absolute pits in almost every respect. Locals do not go here to dine (the food is appalling and overpriced) or to socialize. The shopping is better downtown (below 14th street) so is the nightlife. The only people on the streets are tourists and unhappy office workers who desperately wish they worked in another part of the city. The number one mistake Irish people make is staying here.

Financial District - very dead in the evenings, bad food, over crowded during the day.

Tribeca - parts are pretty but it's generally very overpriced and somewhat isolated from other parts of the city
    Upper East Side - boring people, not well served by the subway, not very interesting visually, proximity to Central Park and Museums is its only plus.

Queens: I live in Queens, it's a great place to live if you're here long term but honestly has relatively little for most visitors and large chunks of it are pretty grim visually, including Woodside.

Upper West Side: Parts of it are beautiful but it's relatively isolated from the rest of the city and has very little in terms of nightlife, cultural amenities and restaurants.

Jersey: Do not stay in Jersey. Do not go to Jersey. Do not get on a bus and go to Jersey Gardens or any of the other god awufl shopping destinations. You can get better deals downtown. Do NOT go to Jersey.

Paul, you're a legend! Your detailed reply is exactly what I, and I'm sure many others, have always wanted; a where to stay/ not stay in specific detail!

I had to laugh at your Jersey comments, I read it first in the car an almost wet myself! All I ever here is about people going to Jersey Gardens shopping! Hilarious!

We're relatively well travelled (I have been to Galway ya know..ha ha) but I can't believe I've never come across airbnb.com! The prices compared to the hotels are just unreal! Which means it gives us a few more deniros to spend on things we'll enjoy, rather than just a bed!

To yourself and Carl, thanks very much!

Oh, I may be back looking for a few more bits, so keep an eye on us here just in case ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

Heading over in 3 weeks and looking to go to a show. Would I be better off booking tickets on line or rock up on the day to purchase? I believe there is a ticket office somewhere around Times Square if anybody can give me directions, would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭yew_tree

I have stayed in Midtown before, east near 55th street and 2nd Ave. Nice bars down along there. I think the west village is the nicest place to stay but I have even stayed in Midtown on a quiet enough street near herald square (price was right).

Don't be but off by area's listed above....once you are near a subway stop you can be in most places in 20mins max.

Just to give an update, we've booked our stay. It came in at €1281 for 5 nights, for 4 of us. Now, it is on the first floor and there is one or two comments about noise so we'll have to see.
    Obviously, we've booked through airbnb so hopefully it will work out. We can't wait to be honest!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Just back from a great week at the Holiday Inn on 26th and 6th avenue. Highly recommend - great location about 10 minutes walk from Herald Square, 5-10 minutes from Flatiron building/Madison Square Park, 10 minute walk from Penn station (we got the AirTrain on arrival, opted for a cab on departure as we'd accumulated a bit of extra baggage!), extremely convenient to Madison Square Gardens if you're lucky enough to be taking in a concert or game during your stay! Lots of good restaurants, bars and delis nearby too. Very clean, friendly hotel with good sound proofing, blackout blinds, comfy beds etc, I will definitely stay there again.
    We used Newark for the first time and it was a breath of fresh air compared to JFK, short queues and handy access for Manhattan. We got return flights for €400 from Shannon with United/Lufthansa, booking through skyscanner.ie.

• Advertisement

Any sports on between Oct25 - 30 lads? In NY obviously, not the world in general..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,963 ✭✭✭cena

Any sports on between Oct25 - 30 lads? In NY obviously, not the world in general..

Ice hockey, american football ,basketball.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Advertisement