Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's blatant discrimination and nobody bats an eyelid!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

if you're traveling that often your job would be paying for business class

Not true in my case... only if a flight is a certain number of hours then upgrade, short flights, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

You're the reason we have high doorways and ceilings and shelves that no one can reach. You're the reason my dreams of a career as a point guard in the NBA were never realised

Shame on you OP, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!

:pac: Just spat coffee on my screen because of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

It's worse when you have to sit beside a tall person, knees and elbows everywhere. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

kjl wrote: »
    If they are going to discriminate, they why not discriminate against fat people, I have to pay extra for every kilo overweight my bag is, so why don't they have to pay for every extra kilo overweight they are? Of course if they did do that there would be uproar but that is essentially why is happening to tall people and nobody cares.

Just to point out mate, you do realise if airlines set a weight limit (which would presumably be based around the weight of an average person) you'd likely be over it and be paying extra anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

A white male who gets to be 6'5 is asking for sympathy.

Nah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

no way you can get 50euro flights if your flying every week, they have to be booked in advance during a promotion. if you're traveling that often your job would be paying for business class

Right, what business class are you talking about?? Dublin to UK only has a few options and I am not going to start flying BA.

Flight can easily be €50, one way not including tax. I tend to select the front seat as it has more room than the emergency exit and with my gold if I don't book I can select it upon arrival.

I am not just talking about me, my initial point was about is being discriminating. Not about what I have to endure. My point still stands for Ryanair flights and most long haul flights which I have to take occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭dinnyirwin

Im 6ft 5 and have no problem with seats on planes.
    If someone puts their seat back i think its more uncomfortable on them than it is on me. I prefer Ryanair though.
    I suppose all my life ive figured out how to make myself comfortable if the space is cramped. The only place i have a problem sitting is in a bulkhead row. I just cant sit there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Its some pain in the hole when you're ten minutes up in the air and the cnut in front of you decides to push their seat the whole way back, i mean for fcuksake surely you can sit upright in a seat for at least a poxy hour with having to recline back and get all up in my sh1t.

Usually i ease my way into the reclining process when up in the air a few hours and need a kip, its nice to be nice, early recliners though..scum of the earth, you'd almost wish the plane would crash so it'd kill them.
    Some guy got the hump with me when I asked him to put forward his seat when we were being served the meal. FFS he had the seat reclined for the whole nine hour flight. I don't think I was being unreasonable asking him to adjust it for the fifteen minutes it took to eat :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

OP maybe you should have an auld chat with someone who designs planes and then have a chat with an economist. Might make things a bit clearer..

Surely running a business (such as an air line) is about forecasting who your target market is going to be and then designing the product around the average paying consumer....essentialy building planes to suit overall averages rather than exceptions to the rule such as your long-legged self? Bigger planes = more expensive outright = more fuel burned = more cost....etcetera.
    Candie wrote: »
    Hang on there Stretch. If you get stung for being tall, then I demand to be refunded for being small.

Oh, don't tell me. I'm subsidising legroom for you average people. This is very unfair and I'm going to stand up for my rights.

Haw haw haw haw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Hooray for being 5"8! :D (I know it's not that short.. but still)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I fly AL 2-3 return flights every year, and have got an exit seat on everyflight bar maybe 2 or 3 over the years.

No charge when you pick your seats at the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭fundi

fly Ryanair, they have an extra inch of legroom compared to Aer Lingus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

I'm a shade over 6'4", I fly a fair lot and have never once either booked "extra legroom" whatever that is, nor felt crushed in the seat either. I've size 12 feet so I'm no little flower either. If the person in front reclined their seat onto me, I'd ask them firmly to recline it da fuq back forward, simple as. Very often, the air-staffies ask me to sit in the emergency exit seats anyway as I probably look well able to rip it off it's hinges if Al' quaeda or mechanical gremlins necessitate a fast getaway. I believe the phrase you're looking for OP, is "Harden the fcuk up".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'm 6'5" too but thankfully, I don't have to fly very often. Actually, I'd probably fly more if it wasn't for the discomfort of travelling.

I flew to Bratislava last September with Ryanair, and on the flight out, I had a normal aisle seat. After making various efforts to get comfortable, I eventually was okay...until people started to head to the toilets, which meant I had to get out of my 'comfortable' position every time somebody went by because one of my legs was out on the aisle.

An air-steward eventually offered me an exit seat, but I think it was for safety reasons rather than making things more comfortable for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

fundi wrote: »
    fly Ryanair, they have an extra inch of legroom compared to Aer Lingus.

yeah, you are grand thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

All the surveys show that tall people earn more and are generally more successful in life so they can afford to pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Ryanair still have reclining seats?!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MOH wrote: »
    Ryanair still have reclining seats?!
    oh yeah, just pop €2 in the slot and back you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Oh really, so what.

I am 5 foot two and spend my life not being able to reach things or fit into things like exercise machines or have to have the car seat right up and still feel too small or have tall people pat us on the head or take up all the room on public transport because you are small you don't need any room. Can we not have some small advantage...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

All the surveys show that tall people earn more and are generally more successful in life so they can afford to pay more.

Michael D might dispute that fact considering he is on about 250 k a year, although leg room on the plane wouldn't be a problem for him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement