Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House hunting in the West.

• 21-02-2014 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi folks me n the misses are over looking for property to semi retire. Just lookin for a wee cottage to fix up and a part time job. to pay our way.
    fed up with the rat race really.
    just wondered if anyone could give us any ideas what areas to avoid not knowing the area is always a concern and any other tips. we both have a hospitality and social care background ideally would love to remain working in mental health myself.
    we are over in june circling from knock around the place....looked at tubbercurry some level of question mark?? whats with the "hole in the wall! was that an isolated incident lol......it was a belter tho.icon10.png

anything appreciated Eric

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Moved from forum requests...
    Mods feel free to move on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ericano

what do you mean mods feel free to move on?? confused!!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Hi Eric, Tuam is very central and is within an hour's reach of most of Connacht (ie the West). A friendly town with a lovely park. There's two important mental health facilities located here, Toghermore House and Pieta House. Lots of sporting clubs with fine facilities. Plenty of groups involved in the Arts. Two Cathedrals. Well serviced by north-south buses and a motorway about to begin construction. Fifty minutes from Knock Airport. Lots of clubs/groups/organisations catering to the semi and fully retired. I could go on and on and on. Best of luck with your search and fresh start.

thanks Bagels. will arrive knock on the 11th heading down to galway. will take your advice and stop in at Tuam for sure. Slante....:P Eric

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Anywhere close to a town will probably be good. Particularly if you're trying to find work (depends on your skillset but work is scarce).
    Ballina, Westport, Castlebar, Tuam, Loughrea and Athenry are all smaller towns but still with plenty of facilities.

• Advertisement

thanks Biko...will be ensuring a wee stop at Westport apparently won village of the year five years on the trot and and is quite well spoke of too.
    I will be visting as many places as possible within a four night period.

the Mrs and I both have worked in hospitality and addictions field so not adverse to pulling a pint or bussing a table a few hours a week so not looking for anything fancy. yet I do know the job situation is particularly harsh in Ireland. I wont have a mortgage but I still have to eat and pay bills lol

I thank everyone for any help in this area Eric

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

I moved to castlebar 10 years ago for work and I was very happy with how it turned out. I'd recommend it

Thanks castle bar will be in your village on the 14 june. staying at the Connaught inn....if its got a bad reputation I would appreciate some feedback because I can still cancel and find elsewhere.

regardless I will have a good shoofty around castlebar and a look at property.

Thanks for the feedback im glad that you found somewhere I hope we do too.

Eric

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Well the connaught in is only open like 2 or 3 months so no bad reputation. Havn't heard anything about it but it seems really nice and you will be right beside the mall (The Green) which is beautiful. Castlebar isn't a village though, it might seem very small compare to wherever your from but it is quite a big town for Ireland. What size place are you coming from, if your coming from a city I suppose it would be like a village to you :)

Paisley...Glasgow......night of the living dead lol. Me the mrs and her old granny on tour for 4 nights looking at property and on the search for good craic n few drams. bit of folk music...if you know of any that night 14th june let me know. Whats the best pub?

cheers CB12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Agraw

Well you won't go hungry at the Connaught, I was in there for lunch a few weeks ago at lunchtime, the new owners were keen to please and for me to tell my pals that i enjoyed the food. sure enough i did.

Thanks agraw will enjoy some of the scran then cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

ericano wrote: »
    Hi folks me n the misses are over looking for property to semi retire. Just lookin for a wee cottage to fix up and a part time job. to pay our way.

I'm no expert in prices but I tend to go for the touristy areas of western Galway. Clifden, Connemara, etc.

confirmed my beliefs in the trees .....focusing in on that area.

Advertisement