Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gambling....what's the point if it?

• 24-02-2014 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Ok, I have no file in my head for gambling, I don't get it nor understand it.
    I personally think it's an atrocious waste of money and usually ends up with the bookmaker getting your money now or later .
    I spoke with someone yesterday who put €200 on a horse to win some race or other , of course it lost and he wasn't in the least bit pissed off or annoyed ...although me repeating myself asking him " you put €200 on a horse ?" Over and over started to irritate him no end.
    I am amazed that someone could waste approx half a weeks wages on a horse race and even more amazed that he didn't seem in the slightest bit annoyed by that... So it can't be bout the money otherwise why take a chance loosing it, so what's the point if it....what's the point in this (IMHO) stupid pastime?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

It is entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Mister Trebus

catallus wrote: »
    It is entertainment.

It's entertaining loosing half a weeks wages on a horse race???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I personally think it's an atrocious waste of money and usually ends up with the bookmaker getting your money now or later .
    I spoke with someone yesterday who put €200 on a horse to win some race or other , of course it lost and he wasn't in the least bit pissed off or annoyed ...although me repeating myself asking him " you put €200 on a horse ?" Over and over started to irritate him no end.
    I am amazed that someone could waste approx half a weeks wages on a horse race and even more amazed that he didn't seem in the slightest bit annoyed by that... So it can't be bout the money otherwise why take a chance loosing it, so what's the point if it....what's the point in this (IMHO) stupid pastime?

What's the point in drinking 5 or 6 pints? Or taking a holiday in Rome? Terrible waste of money both are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

You are right, it is stupid, when ya lose. I gamble. I think its called free will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

It's entertaining loosing half a weeks wages on a horse race???

No, it is entertaining to wager amounts of money, (the amounts are different for everyone) on the outcome of sporting events with the prospect of winning.

The possibility of losing is the natural counter-point to the possibility of winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Mr Burgess

What was his EV on the horse? Was €200 a relative proportion of his bankroll?

2 very key questions before any comment can be made

catallus wrote: »
    No, it is entertaining to wager amounts of money, (the amounts are different for everyone) on the outcome of sporting events with the prospect of winning.

The possibility of losing is the natural counter-point to the possibility of winning.

Even if what you are betting on could possibly be already fixed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What's the point in drinking 5 or 6 pints? Or taking a holiday in Rome? Terrible waste of money both are.

Pints or a holiday can give you a break from the daily grind. Do what you will with your money, I've seen far too many people waste fortunes in betting shops for nothing.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Mr Burgess wrote: »
    What was his EV on the horse? Was €200 a relative proportion of his bankroll?

2 very key questions before any comment can be made

Sorry what does EV mean?
    We'll I know he earns around 400 - 500 a week

Ohh and he is not married so I guess not answerable to anyone

Pints or a holiday can give you a break from the daily grind. Do what you will with your money, I've seen far too many people waste fortunes in betting shops for nothing.

I get enjoyment out of betting and especially out of others who bet. It's called schadenfreude. Especially those who think they know everything about a particular sport. How many clowns lost their rocks betting on Rangers and Barcelona this weekend? Twits.

• Advertisement

I get enjoyment out of betting and especially out of others who bet. It's called schadenfreude. Especially those who think they know everything about a particular sport. How many clowns lost their rocks betting on Rangers and Barcelona this weekend? Twits.

Do you get the same enjoyment if you loose... does it matter overall if you loose?
    Is the buzz the same either way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭flashjohn

Mister Trebus Did you ever get an adrenaline rush?

Do you get the same enjoyment if you loose... does it matter overall if you loose?
    Is the buzz the same either way?

My average losses are about 20 quid a week. There's no real buzz or compulsion, just a sense of satisfaction when I win and a sense of well fcuk it anyway when I lose.

flashjohn wrote: »
    Mister Trebus Did you ever get an adrenaline rush?

Of course

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mr Burgess

Expected Value. If he was getting the horse at 6/4 and he made it a 1/1 shot, his EV would be +€20.00.

I regularly lose amounts greater than €200 and it doesn't bother me in the slightest, what I care about is positive EV, the rest will look after itself.

Of course

Well you have just answered your question. Thats what you get when you gamble

Mr Burgess wrote: »
    Expected Value. If he was getting the horse at 6/4 and he made it a 1/1 shot, his EV would be +€20.00.

I regularly lose amounts greater than €200 and it doesn't bother me in the slightest, what I care about is positive EV, the rest will look after itself.

I didn't ask that because I seemed to be stuck on the loss of €200 :)

Well you have just answered your question. Thats what you get when you gamble

Really? It's that simple....is this why some get addicted to it, for a rush ?

110%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Really? It's that simple....is this why some get addicted to it, for a rush ?

I only place small bets on rugby matches. You're a bit more invested in the game if you've something to win (or lose)

I bet 30 euro that Ireland would beat the All Blacks by less than 5 points, would have won over 600 euro. I was euphoric right up till the last 3 minutes. :(

• Advertisement

110%

And is the rush the same for a win and a loss?

In the reverse way though! thats why another bet is needed to get back the rush, like cigs, alco, solpedeine!

I only place small bets on rugby matches. You're a bit more invested in the game if you've something to win (or lose)

I bet 30 euro that Ireland would beat the All Blacks by less than 5 points, would have won over 600 euro. I was euphoric right up till the last 3 minutes. :(

You know, I work with a lot of lads who gamble, and you have just typed what I hear all the time ...."I would have won.....such and such"...
    It's like the fish that got away....

It's like a bloody mantra at break times listening to them and what they would have, but didn't, win

In the reverse way though! thats why another bet is needed to get back the rush, like cigs, alco, solpedeine!

We'll at least your honest about it....

:D

All my losses mean nothing for about 10 minutes, until I blow the lot on some american horse race!

And do you honestly not care about loosing money you had to earn

I lose, I win....do you spend on leisure activities?

Sure, but I don't have a file in my head for gambling as I said and am trying to understand it.....even though I really think it is a waste of hard earned money.

Yes but what do you do for kicks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

You know, I work with a lot of lads who gamble, and you have just typed what I hear all the time ...."I would have won.....such and such"...
    It's like the fish that got away....

It's like a bloody mantra at break times listening to them and what they would have, but didn't, win

100% correct!

That's why I don't gamble often. Maybe 20 or 30 a year.

• Advertisement

Yes but what do you do for kicks?

Well I travel a bit, do a huge amount of cooking, too old for any energetic sports , don't drink btw, my biggest buzz is spending time with the missus ....now that I write it down seems a bit sad....:-)

Advertisement