Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Michael Schumacher Suffers Serious Head Injury

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Annalee Limited Cornea

Fingers crossed for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Fingers crossed! Great news, hope it all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

This is from Sky News so please don't take it as fact, but I really hope it's true.

"Michael Schumacher is being brought out of his coma and is "responding to instructions", according to Sky News sources."

http://news.sky.com/story/1203594/michael-schumacher-responding-sky-sources

That is good news! Hopefully he will progress quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

Great news, lets hope its all positive from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

lolie wrote: »
    Great news, lets hope its all positive from here.

Any updates?

Not heard anything in awhile. The last I read was that the wake up process could take anywhere from days to weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

292797.jpg

• Advertisement

SnowDrifts wrote: »

Dont know what to make of that. Good or bad :(

logik wrote: »
    Dont know what to make of that. Good or bad :(

Was thinking the same. Erring on the side of it being negative unfortunately.

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Was thinking the same. Erring on the side of it being negative unfortunately.

Yeah it seems that way. Hope we are wrong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It seems to be conflicted based on conflicting information from the Bild article.

I haven't read the actual Bild article, but from what I can tell they seem to have claimed that Michael is both breathing independently of a ventilator and not responding to external stimuli. My understanding of Gary's post then is that breathing independently indicates brain stem activity which is very good, but not responding to stimuli indicates no brain stem activity which is very bad.

So there's an obvious conflict there, it seems like there's either good news or bad news, but again there's no official confirmed information so we don't really know.

"Michael Schumacher's family reveal they strongly believe F1 legend will recover" http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/9164774/michael-schumachers-family-reveal-they-strongly-believe-f1-legend-will-recover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

Plenty of rumors in the media that he contracted pneumonia. The family released a statement today, they strongly believe he'll recover.
    “Michael’s family would like to again express their sincere thanks for the continuous sympathy coming from all over the world. The good wishes they receive help the family and, we are convinced they also help Michael, who still is in a waking up process.

“As often in such situation, no day is like the next. The family is thankful for one’s understanding that they would not wish to disclose medical details in order to protect Michael’s privacy. As assured from the beginning we will continue to communicate any decisive new information on Michael’s health state. We are aware that the wake up phase can take a long time.

“The family continues to strongly believe in Michael’s recovery and place all their trust in the doctors’, nurses’ and nursing auxiliaries’ team. The important thing is not the speed of the recovery but that Michael’s heal process progresses in a continuous and controlled way."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,244 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Pneumonia, or any lung condition is quite common when a patient has been on a respirator for such a long time.

I still have belief that he will survive this.

I believe he will survive alright but its the level of life he will have, that has me worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭robinwing

BERLIN: Formula One legend Michael Schumacher, lying in a coma in a French hospital since a December skiing accident, has overcome a lung infection, German daily Bild reported on Friday.

The newspaper had reported two days earlier that Schumacher had contracted pneumonia last week, but it said Friday that the infection in fact had happened earlier and "this week no longer spells an acute danger".

"Therefore Schumi has already won the fight against pneumonia," said the top-selling daily, using the popular nickname for the 45-year-old German racing driver.

Hope that this report is true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

robinwing wrote: »
    German daily Bild reported

Do people realise that's the German equivalent of The Sun newspaper? It's a rag, it will invent stories for the sake of stories. Not to be trusted at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Do people realise that's the German equivalent of The Sun newspaper? It's a rag, it will invent stories for the sake of stories. Not to be trusted at all.

Given the fact that they did'nt really know when Schumacher contracted pneumonia, I would treat anything that they publish with disdain:(.

Felipe Massa has spoken about a visit he made to Michael Schumacher in hospital in Grenoble.

Schumacher remains in a coma following his skiing accident in late December, with doctors reducing his sedation in an attempt to wake him. Massa revealed that he had visited Schumacher ahead of the second test in Bahrain and that he is hopeful that his former Ferrari team-mate will make a good recovery.

“I always try to be optimistic,” Massa said. “I saw him, I talked to him, I was telling him everything I did in Jerez – about my car, the new team and everything – I was telling him to wake up many times… I'm positive. I think we need to believe. He's a very strong man, a very great man and I really hope he can wake up and I really hope he can enjoy his life again.

“It's always very difficult to say because I have zero experience about what the doctors say. I saw him and I was very happy to be together with him for a very long time, talking to him and trying to give the best energy and just help him.”

Asked how Schumacher looked when he visited, Massa said he took hope from what he saw but stressed he couldn't give any predictions or updates on his condition.

“He's sleeping and I was very positive because he was normal. He looks normal and he also gave some reactions with the mouth and everything. So it's positive to look at him. But I have no experience to say anything. I'm not a doctor. But when I saw him, for me, it looked very positive.” ( Source is crash.net motor racing website )

Felipe Massa is a truly decent man , ha says he prays daily for M Schumacher , its when the s~~t hits the fan you find out who your friends really are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Some very strong words there. I wouldn't agree with his use of the words "shameful" and "arrogant", I think that's being very harsh on his family who are in a very difficult and painful situation.

But with that said, it would be nice to get more news and details. I know I'm quite emotional about the situation, far more so than I would have thought I would be for someone I have never actually met, and I suspect many others are too

stevenmu wrote: »
    But with that said, it would be nice to get more news and details. I know I'm quite emotional about the situation, far more so than I would have thought I would be for someone I have never actually met, and I suspect many others are too

The "sting" has been taken out of it for me. Kinda accepted a while back that it's not going to be good. Would obviously love to get a good surprise in the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

The "sting" has been taken out of it for me. Kinda accepted a while back that it's not going to be good. Would obviously love to get a good surprise in the next while.

I'm beginning to lose respect for Gary. In the beginning he was saying to ignore reports in the papers and that we had to wait for the family to make a statement. Now he's constantly saying we need information otherwise Michael's family are disrespecting the fans that "put him on a pedestal". I'm sorry, but that is hypocritical.

And what is the difference between the papers posting from their sources saying X, Y, and Z have happened and Gary saying that A, B, and/or C is happening as we speak. Question, if the Daily Mail read that piece and ran a story saying "Leading Anaesthetist Says Schumacher Might Not Recover" with quotes from Hartstein's piece, could he complain about the Daily Mail spreading rumours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

stevenmu wrote: »
    Some very strong words there. I wouldn't agree with his use of the words "shameful" and "arrogant", I think that's being very harsh on his family who are in a very difficult and painful situation.

Same here. I'm very surprised at the tone of the article from Gary. It's borderline accusatory, which given the circumstances, is very unfair. It may very well be the case that Michael's family are preparing for the worst, in which case the last thing they need is to create another media circus by announcing the treatment is not working. Of course, I'm still hoping for a positive outcome. However, as somebody mentioned in the comments to Mr Hartstein's article, if the family did indeed have any good news to share, I'm pretty sure they would report it. Let's keep the fingers crossed.

When it comes down to it it's the family's business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

His family obviously have infinitely more important things to think about, but his PR people should probably be more communicative with his fans. Even if that communication just involves a scheduled weekly update on his condition (whether changes have taken place or not), it would at least stop the media from inventing stuff.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I can't help feeling that this is the most relevant part of that blog entry:
    If Michael is not breathing on his own, and is (as we suspect) not showing signs of purposeful interaction with his environment (I am ignoring the mouth movements of which Felipe Massa spoke), AND if there is imaging and functional evidence of extensive and irreversible brainstem damage, Michael’s doctors will discuss withdrawing treatment with the family, as under these circumstances there is essentially no chance of recovery. It is possible that this discussion has already happened.

I strongly, strongly doubt that Schumacher's fans are being denied good news.

Advertisement