Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

what do you think about betdaq ?

Options
  • 17-02-2014 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

this post created quite a stirr on my twitter timeline yesterday http://www.gamblerfalls.com/why-you-should-give-betdaq-a-chance/

i wouldn't have the knowledge or experience to agree or disagree but a lot of my twitter timeline agreed , a small % disagreed .

should we support an irish company over betfair ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Ladbrokes bought out Dermot Desmonds stake in Betdaq for €30 mio last July,
    how is it considered an Irish company then?
    Yes they have staff in Dublin but so does Betfair.

I always found with Betdaq, the liquidity poor and the pricing wasn't great unless that has changed in the last few months.
    Even though they are charging 3% commission compared to 5% with Betfair (or less depending on turnover) , I find it strange that they can't prize away a lot of the players from Betfair.
    Betfair has a lot more markets on the different sports as well and they have more liquidity so when you have a bet, at least with Betfair you have a chance of getting out at a reasonable price.
    Doesn't work all the time for in running markets but the main markets are okay.

Personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Personally I have always used Betdaq over Betfair. As above they could do with a lot of markets and liquidity not always great but for basic WDW markets on football, golf or horses it's fine ie the basic markets.

I have wondered myself why there was never a mass migration from Betfair to Betdaq with the lower commission rate. Another thing that put me off Betfair (and I'm not even sure if they still do it) is the transaction fee on lodegments. Opened an account years ago and went to deposit, as soon as I saw that I cancelled the deposit and haven't been back since.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Keep an eye on oddschecker.com if you are just doing W/D/W and the main markets.
    Due to competition between bookies, the prices of some bookies is either bigger or the same as the exchanges so you are saving the commission.
    W/D/W Bet Victor, Hills & Paddy Power are nearly always the same.
    Win to Nil, Win Both Halves, Win to Nil Corals & Paddy Power are best.
    1st goalscorers, score anytime, Wincasts, Scorecasts etc the exchanges are best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Keep an eye on oddschecker.com if you are just doing W/D/W and the main markets.
    Due to competition between bookies, the prices of some bookies is either bigger or the same as the exchanges so you are saving the commission.
    W/D/W Bet Victor, Hills & Paddy Power are nearly always the same.
    Win to Nil, Win Both Halves, Win to Nil Corals & Paddy Power are best.
    1st goalscorers, score anytime, Wincasts, Scorecasts etc the exchanges are best.

Agree with that. I shouldn't have mentioned WDW in football - was trying to use a simple example and it was the first one that came into my head. I only use Betdaq for golf really - usually an extra point or two on favourites and a good few points for the outsiders. Same for longer priced horse too as far as I've noticed but I rarely back horses these days

Yeah Golf, exchanges would be bigger but again there is always 1 or 2 bookies that will be Top Price the main players and normally around the exchange line on a Wednesday when the RP prices are out.

W/D/W on tonights match Brighton v Hull is as follows.
    Exchange:

Brighton 2.6
    Draw 3.35
    Hull 3.1

Bookies Best prices
    Bet Victor, Stan James & Boyles 2.6
    Draw Bet365 3.3
    Hull Bet Victor 3.12

So exchange is priced to 101% (before commission), best bookie prices it is to 101%.
    Some may not be able to avail of the prices with certain bookies & there may be shop specials around with better prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

As said, certainly for WDL markets it can sometimes be better.

I had both open for the duration of the City v Barcelona game the other week at at several stages during the game, the price on certain selections was a few ticks better on the daq

What about the liquidity?
    There would be no point in trading a market if you can't do more then a €50.

I could name you some markets off the top of my head where in my experience there is better liquiduty on the daq (maybe this has changed in the last year or so). To start with:
    US college football & basketball
    League of Ireland match odds and asians

In fairness, US college & LOI football wouldn't be the biggest turnover of markets.
    Wouldn't racing & Football (mainly PL & CL) be about 80% of a bookies turnover?

Yes it would but if you actually want to win money then sometimes you need to venture off the markets where bookmakers take 80% of their turnover, and most of their profit.

• Advertisement

That's a fair point.

Advertisement