Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which tablet is best buy

• 22-02-2014 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Laptop is well past it useable time. Thinking of buying tablet and wondering of your views as to best buy. Only moderate use, mainly internet, word documents, spread sheets and maybe accounts programs as well. Budget of €300 or thereabouts. Any of them better at getting internet connection as regular be in areas without broadband as i notice with Samsung galaxy phone. Opinions/advice please.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    with 3G built in or 3G via dongle?
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 with 3G around 300 euro in eBay

Had dongle on laptop - o2 one - and make no difference.
    What about Google nexus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Seems to be good tablet (if not one of the best around) but priced way over 300 euro.
    Cheapest one is for sale in Expansys.ie ( 309.- include 20% discount and delivery ) but extremely risky place to buy. I still waiting my money back from them ( They messed up my order and then tried to double charge me ).. Very dangerous place to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

How much typing are you planning to do? Tablets are fairly painful when it comes to typing (especially in spreadsheets).
    Have you tried it out to do all your work on a Tablet for few days?

You might be better off getting a cheap netbook rather than a Tablet.

Tablets are brilliant at internet browsing, videos, music etc but they suck when you have to do a lot of typing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

but43r wrote: »
    How much typing are you planning to do? Tablets are fairly painful when it comes to typing (especially in spreadsheets).
    Have you tried it out to do all your work on a Tablet for few days?

You might be better off getting a cheap netbook rather than a Tablet.

Tablets are brilliant at internet browsing, videos, music etc but they suck when you have to do a lot of typing.[/QUOTE

Hadn't thought of that. Oh the ignorance of old age!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-27th-march/products-detail-page/ps/p/178cm7-tablet-pc-medion-lifetab-e7318-md-98691/

I did a quick comparison of this Aldi Android on sale this Thurs and the well established Apple Mini iPad.
    The iPad Mini has a 7.9 Inch screen and the Aldi Android has just 7 Inches.
    Both are 16GB Memory. Screen Resolution is slightly better on Mini iPad.
    Aldi Android cameras are not great at 0.3MP & 2MP Vs Apple’s at 1.2MP & 5MP. That’s significant if you use the camera a lot.
    They weigh about the same (Apple is just 2g lighter, even with bigger screen).
    Apple is much thinner (7.2mm Vs 10.8mm), which explains the weight comparison above.
    The Apple is 3 X the price of the Aldi Android.
    Maybe a more thorough comparison would be against another Android Tablet (Galaxy Note 3 maybe), but I have not gotten around to that yet.

Advertisement