Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finn "Prince Devitt" Bálor Thread (Raw Spoilers ahoy!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

Devitt's NJPW contract is now officially up - he is however now back in Japan and one must assume he'll be a part of the upcoming shows - all Bullet Club members are booked.

I imagine he'll hold (further) talks with NJPW and how he is booked on the show will be a huge indication of how those talks go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I really cant see him leaving. He is now free of the Junior division and Okada will be in need of challengers again soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Be prepared for a whole bunch of non-news.

First show of New Japan's current tour this morning. Devitt was booked strong and to me still placed as the leader of the group. New Japan also debutted new Bullet Club which means little as we don't know the production time involved and the group would likely continue if Devitt left. In the 8 man tag itself he was booked very strongly and beat his old babyface tag partner who just returned from a long injury with a double foot stomp.

BfdyooMCQAA19Un.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Devitt is a very good looking guy, I'd be curious to know what he's like as a face. If he he's in any way decent as one it wouldn't surprise me to see WWE push him quickly.

Devitt is a very good looking guy, I'd be curious to know what he's like as a face. If he he's in any way decent as one it wouldn't surprise me to see WWE push him quickly.

He was a very effective long time babyface in New Japan but he was VERY bland to Western eyes. Most of his promos were a cure for insomnia. Even Devitt said in media interviews he was really bored of his character and his "Match of the Day" style.

• Advertisement

Meltzer in Observer essentially wrote what I wrote in post #127

Also this:

2el6q9w.png

:P

Your current rumour is that NJPW Anniversary show on March 6th is Devitt's last show. He dropped a fall to Taguchi today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

rovert wrote: »
    Your current rumour is that NJPW Anniversary show on March 6th is Devitt's last show. He dropped a fall to Taguchi today.

WWE-bound?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

WWE-bound?

Hopefully not, it'll be a poor career decision and can see him getting completely lost in the shuffle.

WWE-bound?

One would assume.

These rumours are only rumours if I read or hear anything solid I will label it so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Loughc wrote: »
    Hopefully not, it'll be a poor career decision and can see him getting completely lost in the shuffle.

It's a risk alright but the fact that the contract apparently puts him straight onto the main roster would suggest they are pretty high on him.

One would think they have feuds and storylines planned for him(hah!).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Would love him to be the Raw-Post-Mania debut attack on Cena :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I would be a hard sell to Vince. But an NWO like arrival of The Bulletclub recruited by Punk could be fantastic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Loughc wrote: »
    All down to the $ on the contract as I noted earlier; with a big enough payout (and signing on bonus) he can easily live the rest of his life on a single contract alone.

Reports on Devitt remain variations of what was already posted.
    1. The assumption from friends and New Japan he will go.
    2. He has bargaining power due to his position with New Japan.
    3. Money is a sticking point as WWE will have to pay what they consider over the odds to get him to leave NJPW and Ireland.
    4. How long he stays in NXT is another sticking point.
    5. Devitt being on New Japan's length March tour is no indication that he is staying with New Japan.

Dave Meltzer compared Devitt to late period Brian Pillman:
    With his ring entrance, music and Chris Jericho jacket, Devitt just comes across as a major superstar. That ring outfit thing is an often overlooked aspect of people seeing you as a top guy. He works more like a 70s U.S. heel and reminds me a lot of the mentality Brian Pillman had when his body was breaking down and went from high flyer to thinking about nothing but ways to get heat.

Devitt's WWF music:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

He should do whatever gets him the most money to live a happy life if he can go to wwe for say 5 years and make as much as being the guy in njpw for 10 years I say fair play to him. Problem being he would lose a lot of his moves and don't know if the bullet club thing would carry to America (gun nuts etc)

Also his being carried to the ring thing was done by nunzio before so for the 2 people that would remember that it's a jobber status :P

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

I'm starting to think if Devitt is going to show up on any American promotion this year, it will be with ROH first. They have an announcement to make soon and the popular guess is it will be a new relationship with New Japan. I could see him popping by for a match or two Mania weekend. Probably not going to happen but I like the idea of ROH being a dark horse in this story.

Edit: Just remembered NJPW has a major show on Mania weekend so that idea is out the window.

Jamie OD wrote: »
    I'm starting to think if Devitt is going to show up on any American promotion this year, it will be with ROH first. They have an announcement to make soon and the popular guess is it will be a new relationship with New Japan. I could see him popping by for a match or two Mania weekend. Probably not going to happen but I like the idea of ROH being a dark horse in this story.

Edit: Just remembered NJPW has a major show on Mania weekend so that idea is out the window.

I do expect a New Japan-ROH relationship. ROH's new Marketing guy Court Bauer has been dropping thinly veiled hints. He specifically has the horn for Devitt too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Anyone else think the ring is built for Devitt & Bryan?

Must read Q&A much, much in depth than he usually goes:
    http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/qa-with-prince-devitt/#.UwOSv2J_tA0
    I had 2 ideas for the Dome. One was to rig the ring with lights the same as my jacket. But I felt that we had already done the lights and I wanted something new. I was looking around and decided I wanted to be painted entirely black. That was what I thought was happening. Then on the day the artist when with her own ideas and it turned out looking like Carnage but was never meant to be. It was meant to be more like Venom. The paint turned out to be a blessing as it disguised the fact I had lost 10lbs in the 2 days before the Dome in the hospital with a vomiting bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Just want to say, doing the draft and have had Devitt feature pretty prominently so have being listening to his entrance theme a lot. It is fcuking class, I am so in love with it! If he does come to the WWE hopefully they have something similar!

Devitt doesn't really talk about his private business in public and WWE prefers talent to keep quiet so this is the best you are going to get re: going to WWE.
    Prince Devitt recently spoke with Ryan Devlin of The Wrestling Mania. Here are some highlights from the interview.

Being backstage at TNA in Dublin: “There are lots of rumors going around. Wrestling fans in general prefer the rumors to what actually happens in the ring. I prefer to talk about what happens in the ring but I did tweet about it and went there to see friends. At the moment I’m still a New Japan Pro wrestler.

Possible WWE offer: “Of course it’s on my radar; it’d be silly of me to say it’s not on my wish list of things to do in life. It’s very flattering because I grew up watching WWE, but to be even considered employable by a company like that is a big honor for me. I’m very happy with what I’m doing now, but if the situation came up and it was the right move, I’d like to try it.

Full 30 minute interview here: http://www.thewrestlingmania.com/radio-shows/interviews/twm-interview-prince-devitt/
    Devitt discusses his start in pro wrestling, his experiences travelling all around the world and making a name for himself in Japan, we ask him what he was doing at the TNA tapings in Glasgow, his time touring the UK, we ask him if he will sign for WWE, where his inspiration comes from for his amazing body art, his upcoming tour in Preston and so much more in this exclusive interview.

I’m very happy with what I’m doing now

That's the important part for me. He pretty much only works for NJPW meaning he cant be short on the money side of things. A new contract would see him make even more due to his higher card position now. Walking away from that, for nothing more than a maybe, would be a retarded move for me. If you're happy and making good money, dont leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    That's the important part for me. He pretty much only works for NJPW meaning he cant be short on the money side of things. A new contract would see him make even more due to his higher card position now. Walking away from that, for nothing more than a maybe, would be a retarded move for me. If you're happy and making good money, dont leave it.

As he said he grew up watching WWE. I can't imagine any Irish wrestler not wanting to wrestle in WWE at some point, even as a bucket list thing, and if he is going to do it now is the time. It's a risk but at least he has some leverage regarding money and position in WWE.

Then again, he could end up like Tensai. :D

As he said he grew up watching WWE. I can't imagine any Irish wrestler not wanting to wrestle in WWE at some point, even as a bucket list thing, and if he is going to do it now is the time. It's a risk but at least he has some leverage regarding money and position in WWE.

Then again, he could end up like Tensai. :D

He's currently happy and making good money. That's pretty much what everyone wants in life. He has it. If he wasnt happy, fair enough. If he wasnt making money, fair enough. But he has both right now.

Pretty much everyone grew up watching WWE or WCW.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

gnfnrhead wrote: »

Was he going to say anything other than he is happy?

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Was he going to say anything other than he is happy?

Why would he lie?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I say he will regret not going to wwe in later life if he decides to stay in Japan

Advertisement