Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teaching English Madrid!!

• 03-01-2014 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hola! I am moving to Madrid next month and frantically looking for a teaching English job!!

Is there anyone here that are currently teaching English/have taught English in Madrid and can recommend English language schools. Contact names would be an added bonus :) Perhaps you know of a vacancy in the school that you are currently working in?

Also if anyone has any experience working with Vaughan Systems in Madrid I would love to hear from you.

Thanks a lot
    Sinéad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭prince of peasants

Your best bet is probably just go there, find a place and start looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Chuckles Flower

Hi Sinead,

I'm working as an English teacher in Barcelona. I have heard very negative things about Vaughan systems in general.
    The best schools to work for would be either British Council or International House. I know IH have quite a few schools in Madrid so I'd send my CV to them.

Madrid is a beautiful city. I hope you enjoy living there!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭theyearof2010

Hi HappyPot,

Do you have a TEFL/CELTA? From what I'm aware IH and the likes require CELTA. But I'd recommend just going around the different schools. Madrid seems to have plenty of opportunities. Also check out MadridTeacher.com, there is usually various advertisements on there, although some are scattered throughout the day.

I used to teach in the suburbs -Alcalá de Henares, in a language school and local business. If you need any more help, give me a shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi Sinead,

I'm working as an English teacher in Barcelona. I have heard very negative things about Vaughan systems in general.
    The best schools to work for would be either British Council or International House. I know IH have quite a few schools in Madrid so I'd send my CV to them.

Madrid is a beautiful city. I hope you enjoy living there!

Hello Sinead,
    Heading to Barcelona next week on business and was wondering which schools should I drop my CV to? Are you currently working at IH there!?

Thanks a million,
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Happypot

Hi Mark,I'm actually living and working in Madrid (and not for IH ) It's Chuckles Flower that is living in Barcelona. I'm not sure if it is the same in Barcelona but in Madrid I just emailed my CV to most of the academies. I used a couple of teaching English job websites including lingobongo.com (which also has ads for Barcelona) Good luck!

• Advertisement

Happypot wrote: »
    Hi Mark,I'm actually living and working in Madrid (and not for IH ) It's Chuckles Flower that is living in Barcelona. I'm not sure if it is the same in Barcelona but in Madrid I just emailed my CV to most of the academies. I used a couple of teaching English job websites including lingobongo.com (which also has ads for Barcelona) Good luck!

Thanks a million :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Chuckles Flower

Happypot wrote: »
    Hi Mark,I'm actually living and working in Madrid

Where did you end up getting a job? I hope you're enjoying it so far!

Emailing your CV is the best way to find work but there are a lot of bad schools out there so be careful and watch out for scams! And don't discard the possibility of working outside Barcelona. The train network is great and there are a lot of small schools in the BCN metropolitan area that would love a native speaker teacher

Where did you end up getting a job? I hope you're enjoying it so far!

Emailing your CV is the best way to find work but there are a lot of bad schools out there so be careful and watch out for scams! And don't discard the possibility of working outside Barcelona. The train network is great and there are a lot of small schools in the BCN metropolitan area that would love a native speaker teacher

Great, thank a million for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shelly306

Hey everyone,

Was just wondering if anyone had any more information about Vaughan Systems? I've been invited to attend the training session in June and although I was delighted at first, I'm having second thoughts. As Chuckles Flower said, I've mainly found all negative reviews after researching the company. I'm currently an assistant teaching English in France and my contract finishes in a few weeks, so I'm doubtful whether it's worth not working until the beginning of June, to have to pay for 2 weeks accommodation in Madrid and possibly turn down other work in the meantime, only to not have a guarantee of securing work at the end of it/end up in a job I hate.

Any other experiences - positive or negative - which might help me make up my mind?

Advertisement