Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan leaf breakdown

• 19-02-2014 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28 mmitche

Hi all
    My newly acquired 2011 nissan leaf has broken down. The battery went from a charge of 36miles to 0 overnight and it went into auto-shutdown mode.
    It's was taken away by nissan a week and a half ago. They're waiting for feedback from nissan Europe on the error codes for the past several days but nothing yet.....
    I'm told that only 1 battery has developed a fault across Europe so far. I hope I'm not number 2.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

Google electric car bricking ...???

19209Gb.gif

MadLad et al will be here as soon as they find a quick charge point!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Disconnect the negative terminal on the twelve volt battery for 10 mins and the car will reset itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Sitec wrote: »
    Disconnect the negative terminal on the twelve volt battery for 10 mins and the car will reset itself.

Surely Nissan would have tried that in the 10 days they've had the car? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

mmitche wrote: »
    Hi all
    My newly acquired 2011 nissan leaf has broken down. The battery went from a charge of 36miles to 0 overnight and it went into auto-shutdown mode.
    It's was taken away by nissan a week and a half ago. They're waiting for feedback from nissan Europe on the error codes for the past several days but nothing yet.....
    I'm told that only 1 battery has developed a fault across Europe so far. I hope I'm not number 2.....

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I know of one other 2011 Leaf that had similar symptoms to yours. It didn't really go empty over night, just disabled itself to protect itself from damage. One battery module in the 48 module battery pack was found to have been faulty and all was good once that module had been replaced. That particular case took a little while to resolve for the owner as well as it was escalated back to Japan and engineers from Japan were called in to investigate. Hope it gets sorted for you soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

How much would this all cost out of warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

lomb wrote: »

There's no charge.....

:D

1 billion euro ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I think the car could well be written off in the future. Give me an IC car any day of the week. Parts, service, and general knowledge available from numerous sources.

I think the car could well be written off in the future. Give me an IC car any day of the week. Parts, service, and general knowledge available from numerous sources.

I haven't checked the forecast yet, but I reckon it could rain tomorrow.

• Advertisement

One battery module in the 48 module battery pack was found to have been faulty and all was good once that module had been replaced. That particular case took a little while to resolve for the owner as well as it was escalated back to Japan and engineers from Japan were called in to investigate.

You'd have thought it'd be easy to diagnose a single faulty battery module? It makes no sense that it required an engineer from Japan to fly in to come to that conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mmitche

I haven't checked the forecast yet, but I reckon it could rain tomorrow.

I hope not. I'm back on my bike until Nissan resolve this.
    Hopefully, they'll give me an update soon.....

Sitec wrote: »

Thanks for the info Sitec!
    I'll try suggesting this to the Nissan people tomorrow,.....

I hope not. I'm back on my bike until Nissan resolve this.
    Hopefully, they'll give me an update soon.....

You are joking, I hope? You got no courtesy car? Not even an electric bike? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Thanks for the info Sitec!
    I'll try suggesting this to the Nissan people tomorrow,.....

If that doesn't work, tell them to try switching it off and back on again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Ctrl + ALT + DELETE ;)

unkel wrote: »
    You are joking, I hope? You got no courtesy car? Not even an electric bike? :)

Not joking! I asked for a courtesy car and was told that there were none available. Out of exasperation after 10 days with no info I rang nissan European warranty today who said that they didn't need to provide car as they transported the faulty nissan leaf to the nissan centre..,,

I must admit, I expected a replacement car ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

You'd have thought it'd be easy to diagnose a single faulty battery module? It makes no sense that it required an engineer from Japan to fly in to come to that conclusion.

Genuine quality/reliability issues get escalated big time in automotive electronics. Drop everything and figure this thing out NOW! The whys and hows of that failure might be worth an engineer on a plane versus a battery on a ship.

Not joking! I asked for a courtesy car and was told that there were none available. Out of exasperation after 10 days with no info I rang nissan European warranty today who said that they didn't need to provide car as they transported the faulty nissan leaf to the nissan centre..,,

That's terrible customer service. Shame on Nissan. Perhaps Nissan Ireland would care to come on here and explain? Given the realities of popular social media, we all know Nissan Ireland are aware of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

The forklift centre do electric Nissans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

I'm very surprised Nissan haven't supplied a courtesy car. I've a 2011 Leaf myself and if it went in for a warranty issue I wouldn't be leaving without a courtesy car.

In my own experience I have had an issue once where I turned on the car and the display read --- even though I knew I had plenty of charge.

My theory is that something went wrong in the startup sequence in that case and the relay to the main battery didn't engage. Turning it off, wait a few seconds and turning it back on again (ironically) did work in that case but I presume if nissan have had it for a few days they've at least tried turning it on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

They'd have rented one for you if you'd pushed. I'd be on to them right now if it were me. Unless it's out of warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Not getting a replacement car is bad form. Must say I am surprised, especially given how long it has been with them.

Ring them back and tell them that you are going to talk to Jo Duffy :)

Sorry for your troubles OP, maybe that is the reason it was sold in the first place ? maybe the previous owner knew something and flogged it ?

I must admit myself that this being Ireland I wouldn't expect much from any dealer that's half assed qualified on a car like the Leaf. I'd expect the same service from VAG. O'l Ireland will never change, half assed jobs are the norm and accepted.

It's not rocket science to diagnose a failed series group of cells, It's not a difficult task but I doubt the technicians are trained and will probably have to go through a video conference with the Japs or technicians in the U.S who actually know what they're doing.

The most difficult job will be dropping the battery and making sure they go through the safety check list before working on 400 volt battery !

This failure is rare and unfortunate it had to happen to you so soon. But on the Plus side. You just might, and I do stress might get a brand new battery out of it. Push them on it and see what they say !

I'd imaging Nissan are not so happy you didn't buy the car from them and had the cheek to go to the U.K !

BTW how many miles are on it ?

I'd imaging Nissan are not so happy you didn't buy the car from them and had the cheek to go to the U.K !

Europe wide warranty :)

kdouglas wrote: »
    Europe wide warranty :)

Yes Europe wide warranty so ?

Yes Europe wide warranty so ?

So it doesn't matter if it was a UK Import...

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

I must admit myself that this being Ireland I wouldn't expect much from any dealer that's half assed qualified on a car like the Leaf.

I doubt the technicians are trained

I worked as a Nissan mechanic for years coming up to the time when the Leaf was released, I worked with a large nationwide Nissan chain. It is company policy that anyone working on the Leaf must be certified, two technicians from my garage ( Most dealerships sent two technicians ) were sent to France for a week long intensive training course. They were tested on material and only when they passed this were they issued a cert to work on the Leaf.

The simple concept of testing a battery cell is simple yes but these cars are quite complex. They utilize CAN systems, body control modules and other components that can drain the battery and give conflicting faults.

I disagree with your statement 'I doubt the technicians are trained', the guys I worked with were very skilled mechanics, and I found from liaising with other garages in our network so were most of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

OP, when I read about your trip back to Ireland from UK the distance per charge seemed really low. Maybe the two issues are related?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

That's terrible customer service. Shame on Nissan. Perhaps Nissan Ireland would care to come on here and explain? Given the realities of popular social media, we all know Nissan Ireland are aware of this thread.

+1. mmitche's experience that he shares in places like this and other social media could totally undo millions worth of publicity campaigns for Nissan.

Advertisement