Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The lotto - A tax on dreams.

• 19-02-2014 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Made a small web app to show the extremely bad odds when it comes to playing the Irish lottery. Basically, I generate around 5 tickets per second over the course of 3 fictional years. Check it out (link) and let me know if its too heavy on your computer / mobile.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

You need to clean the sums a bit on that app. Your investment isn't made with 364 tickets it's made on 416 (2*52*4=416) So, in actual fact you're spending more for the same return.

The premise is a bit ridiculous anyway. You're basing all prizes won over a 4 yr period on 1 single result. This is akin to the same numbers being drawn twice a week for 4 yrs without changing. In order for it to be more accurate your generator needs to draw 6 random numbers twice a week. Keep the initial set as aloe of people play the same numbers week in wk out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭waynewex

pajopearl wrote: »
    The premise is a bit ridiculous anyway. You're basing all prizes won over a 4 yr period on 1 single result.

Thanks for the feedback. I did a few last minute edits before I put it up, so it might have caused a bug or two.

Also, it's not based on a single result. A new result is generated each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

The info is a bit misleading then. The landing page says that the result is based on the draw which took place on February 4th(?) And while I can see the numbers picked and numbers drawn, they don't seem to change while the program runs. Definitely giving the impression that it's based on a single result.

Advertisement