Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where you can be posted too...

• 18-02-2014 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

So with some of us approaching the end of the process. Well sort of. I was wondering if you were to get to G'ville, when do you find out where you will be based. I assume once you've graduated from there? Or will you be told your provisional posting before?

As a lot of initial postings are in stroke city could mean lot of change for people...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Maverick89

I think I read on one of the other topics that you only find out the day before you pass out.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Given01

During your time in the college, you'll be asked for your preferred district which you can pick up to three, first choice and so on. I advise you to be sensible to the district you want..

Upon graduation you will then be given your DCU and you will tutored once you go to district more than Likley in the area you will be placed..

Some districts are extremely hard to get into, while districts such as F and G cannot keep people if they tried.

Choose wisely to what district is best for you and your personal safety (don't work to close to home if you know it will lead to complications) you may end up dissapointed with where you get and may feel 'shafted' but that's the reality of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Rizzley

Given01 wrote: »
    During your time in the college, you'll be asked for your preferred district which you can pick up to three, first choice and so on. I advise you to be sensible to the district you want..

Upon graduation you will then be given your DCU and you will tutored once you go to district more than Likley in the area you will be placed..

Some districts are extremely hard to get into, while districts such as F and G cannot keep people if they tried.

Choose wisely to what district is best for you and your personal safety (don't work to close to home if you know it will lead to complications) you may end up dissapointed with where you get and may feel 'shafted' but that's the reality of it!!

Hi Given thanks for the info. How do they then decide who goes where? Is family, young kids etc taken into consideration?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TDA2

Do we get any say as to the station or is simply district? For example Magherafelt rather than Derry city, or Carrick as opposed to Lisburn. One of the issues in selecting is that you could be in the wrong corner of a district in relation to home. I would like to work anywhere within my district but wouldn't really want my home town, as like in our wee Country everyone knows everyone or someone that knows them.

So where is the best overtime - guessing a,b or g?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

Hi Given, can I ask if theres a particular reason for this? Or is it just that people are reluctant to go/stay west?

• Advertisement

Rizzley wrote: »
    Hi Given thanks for the info. How do they. Then decide who goes where? Is family, young kids etc taken into consideration?

It is ultimately down to operational demand/requirement which unfortunately is usually rural areas with a high threat where no one wants to be stationed for various reasons such as travelling etc...

You'll find parents or those with dependants will be accommodated first and usually get their preference. If you have any extenuating circumstances you can voice them to Human Resources who will make a decision based on the evidence.

Internal (within district)/external transfers (out of) from existing officers will also be taken into account before new recruits will be allocated

Hope this helps

TDA2 wrote: »
    Do we get any say as to the station or is simply district? For example Magherafelt rather than Derry city, or Carrick as opposed to Lisburn. One of the issues in selecting is that you could be in the wrong corner of a district in relation to home. I would like to work anywhere within my district but wouldn't really want my home town, as like in our wee Country everyone knows everyone or someone that knows them.

So where is the best overtime - guessing a,b or g?

When you get to put down your initial three preferred choice of districts you can voice concerns in the text box below re issues like that?

It's down to the person if they want to work in their district, I wouldn't want to do it but there's plenty who do, there's a problem that often you can be used as a district resource , say if there is an event/parade on in the police council area you live, you may be called to do points duty at it etc? There's that risk

Lol A and G I think are the places for the overtime if you want it:-)

Dekkers wrote: »
    Hi Given, can I ask if theres a particular reason for this? Or is it just that people are reluctant to go/stay west?

if I can recall is this campaign not aimed for people from the west of the country or to be stationed there??

Havent a clue mate, Probably to do with the high threat and huge travelling you would have to do? It wouldn't appeal to me to work in those districts regardless of the journey.

if I can recall is this campaign not aimed for people from the west of the country or to be stationed there??

Havent a clue mate, Probably to do with the high threat and huge travelling you would have to do? It wouldn't appeal to me to work in those districts regardless of the journey.

Yeah apparently, don't know how successful that was though.

Guess it depends on where you're from. If most candidates are from Belfast way they're unlikely to want to work in unfamiliar territory/border areas.
    Did you get your 1st choice?

Cheers for reply by the way. Great to have serving officers thoughts/opinions scattered amongst all the speculation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Cheers for reply by the way. Great to have serving officers thoughts/opinions scattered amongst all the speculation!

Seconded :D

• Advertisement

Yeah apparently, don't know how successful that was though.

Guess it depends on where you're from. If most candidates are from Belfast way they're unlikely to want to work in unfamiliar territory/border areas.
    Did you get your 1st choice?

Very much the case, hopefully everyone gets where they want, it definatley helps with the stress.

nope not at all, however at the time of graduation we only got a choice of three districts, managed to get the lesser of three evils though.

Don't let your potential posting put you off the job, no matter where you go you will enjoy it, best of luck with it folks

• There are changes going on that may change which districts need more personnel, so if you're from Belfast I wouldn't be expecting to be offered anywhere within 30 miles of there anytime soon. But I'm not in the know, so I could be wrong. If you're married with kids it may be easier to be posted close to home, but if you're not get researching on google maps, that's what I had to do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TDA2

There are changes going on that may change which districts need more personnel, so if you're from Belfast I wouldn't be expecting to be offered anywhere within 30 miles of there anytime soon. But I'm not in the know, so I could be wrong. If you're married with kids it may be easier to be posted close to home, but if you're not get researching on google maps, that's what I had to do. :)

I assume that you are a serving officer? Can you elaborate on your comment that changes are going on? Why do you not believe that there will be any jobs within 30 miles of Belfast? I thought that with Twadell Avenue costing 1million a week to police that they would be needing extra resources.

• TDA2 wrote: »
    I assume that you are a serving officer? Can you elaborate on your comment that changes are going on? Why do you not believe that there will be any jobs within 30 miles of Belfast? I thought that with Twadell Avenue costing 1million a week to police that they would be needing extra resources.

I mean that because of the population density in the Belfast urban area it makes sense that a huge number of recruits come from there. And the thing is, if you're from Belfast/Lisburn/Bangor, and you work there, you don't opt for a move away unless it's for a promotion. So what happens is a lot of officers from those areas get detailed to the rural regions. So once they're there, they start trying to get back. There's a massive waiting list to get back to the urban regions.

Yes, most of the public order situations are in Belfast. But TSG are constantly there, and resources are brought in from the rural regions as well on PSU duties. Speaking as someone from a rural region, I've spent probably 50 days in the last 6 months in Belfast.

All I'm saying is, the situation in Belfast, no matter how bad, does not mean people will be automatically detailed to Belfast, not even a little bit.

There are changes going on that may change which districts need more personnel, so if you're from Belfast I wouldn't be expecting to be offered anywhere within 30 miles of there anytime soon. But I'm not in the know, so I could be wrong. If you're married with kids it may be easier to be posted close to home, but if you're not get researching on google maps, that's what I had to do. :)

Alright mate, everyone is popping back in now lol, hope all is going well! Couldn't be a more true word about google maps, I don't think I'd ever heard of my posting until I was given it:-/

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Merseyside

I've just recently left garnerville and got talking to a few of the guys involved in recruit training.

As far as they know, the decision on where you all get posted to has been made - unless you can demonstrate extreme circumstances as to why you shouldn't go there - I won't post the destination, I just hope none of you think you'll be driving <mod snip> in your shirt sleeves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

Merseyside wrote: »
    I just hope none of you think you'll be driving <mod snip> in your shirt sleeves.

Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Chief Wiggum2

As far as they know, the decision on where you all get posted to has been made - unless you can demonstrate extreme circumstances as to why you shouldn't go there - I won't post the destination, I just hope none of you think you'll be driving <mod snip> in your shirt sleeves.

Sigh... great!! Lets hope im getting to stay close to home in E District. Cant see too many people wanting to work in this area, quite a few dodgy areas

I've just recently left garnerville and got talking to a few of the guys involved in recruit training.

Sigh... great!! Lets hope im getting to stay close to home in E District. Cant see too many people wanting to work in this area, quite a few dodgy areas

Don't know if you seen the unedited post but (IIRC) the place that was mod snipped is in E district. Think you might be headed to the wild west instead :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

Don't know if you seen the unedited post but (IIRC) the place that was mod snipped is in E district. Think you might be headed to the wild west instead :D

The place that was snipped is not in E!

• Advertisement

19087 wrote: »
    The place that was snipped is not in E!

Ha fair enough.. Mustv'e forgotten what town it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Worth a bump as it was discussed earlier this week.

Advertisement