Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is there anywhere I can rent a van to drive abroad?

• 15-11-2013 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

As far as I'm aware, renting a van (say, a Transit or similar type) in Ireland doesn't allow me to drive that van abroad (France). Is that correct?
    If I'm wrong, could anyone suggest a place that would let me do this?
    I'd need it for up to a week.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Vanrentals.ie do it.

I rented a Sprinter off them to go to France for 5 days a couple of years ago. Rang around a few places before I found them. About €650 for 8 days in total IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 zzaaaaaaaaaap

Red Kev wrote: »
    Vanrentals.ie do it.

I rented a Sprinter off them to go to France for 5 days a couple of years ago. Rang around a few places before I found them. About €650 for 8 days in total IIRC.

Were you charged for mileage though? I'm assuming they're not giving unlimited mileage on that...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Sorry, just saw the reply now.

You get a daily mileage allowance, we just about used this up going to Brittany and back (400 km from Cherbourg and a bit of driving around here). Had it for 6 days in total. If you're heading to the south of France or further it might get expensive, best to check their prices with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Red Kev wrote: »
    Vanrentals.ie do it.

Just buy a cheap van in that case...
    Can be used again and again or sold on for the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jnanin

Were you charged for mileage though? I'm assuming they're not giving unlimited mileage on that...?

Hi guys,

I find myself in the same situation: I've recently moved to Ireland and I need to rent a van to go to Paris to get my stuff back here.

I had seen that it was ok to do so with http://www.vanrentals.ie but it is not possible anymore: I've talked to them yesterday and they said their insurance company changed their rules and regulations two years ago; and they are not allowed anymore to rent vans to go outside Ireland. The only way is transferring your car insurance to the van for those days. And even in that case, it's not easy that your insurance company will agree to do so.

Any of you guys know another company? I've called to several ones and none of them accept this kind of use...

zzaaaaaaaaaap, did you find any alternative?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Just buy a cheap van in that case...
    Can be used again and again or sold on for the same money.

As I said...
    It's what I did, believe me its easier than dealing with Irish car rental and insurance crowds who will only rent you a vehicle under the provision that you don't use it. How these people stay on business is a mystery, must be a money laundering operation. Not fit for purpose.

As I said...
    It's what I did, believe me its easier than dealing with Irish car rental and insurance crowds who will only rent you a vehicle under the provision that you don't use it. How these people stay on business is a mystery, must be a money laundering operation. Not fit for purpose.

I undersand what you mean, but this is a one-shot thing: I don't need a van neither I have a place to park it; and also even if it's cheap to buy one you have to add the insurance costs so it will be more expensive anyway.

I've been told that these guys would agree: http://www.jpvanrental.ie/

But I have just asked and you need to provide your own insurance, so for people like me without a car insurance in Ireland... It seems that it's simply impossible to rent a van and drive it outside Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

As a suggestion, what about the reverse? Rent a van in France and drive to Ireland?

Ok, you've to drive it back to France and take a flight, but it might be an option? I would imagine that seeing as France is on mainland Europe, the movement of vans across boarders is less of an issue. I know when I've rented cars there, I was permitted to cross into EU countries (and Switzerland) without issue.

jayok wrote: »
    As a suggestion, what about the reverse? Rent a van in France and drive to Ireland?

Ok, you've to drive it back to France and take a flight, but it might be an option? I would imagine that seeing as France is on mainland Europe, the movement of vans across boarders is less of an issue. I know when I've rented cars there, I was permitted to cross into EU countries (and Switzerland) without issue.

I thought about that too, but it feels like nonsense (a double return trip to move some furniture and some personal belongings). I've also seen some UK companies that are ok with driving their vans across most of Europe; but that would mean too getting a plane to the UK so not a great solution either.

I guess I have no way of doing this legally renting a van from a company. Gotta admit, I didn't see this one coming when I planned my move from France to Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭monseiur

jnanin wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I find myself in the same situation: I've recently moved to Ireland and I need to rent a van to go to Paris to get my stuff back here.

I had seen that it was ok to do so with http://www.vanrentals.ie but it is not possible anymore: I've talked to them yesterday and they said their insurance company changed their rules and regulations two years ago; and they are not allowed anymore to rent vans to go outside Ireland. The only way is transferring your car insurance to the van for those days. And even in that case, it's not easy that your insurance company will agree to do so.

Any of you guys know another company? I've called to several ones and none of them accept this kind of use...

Thanks.

Why not use a shipping company, it'll work out as cheap....if not cheaper

M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Why not rent up north and go to france and back that way.

Or would a trailer be an option ?

I cannot use a removal company because I left my stuff in a self-storage, and as far as I know I need to go personally to get the stuff out (there may be a way of granting access to someone else but sounds messy).

Also, it's not that much stuff: a LWB Ford Transit would be more than enough. So I doubt it would be cheaper to go through a removal company.

Not to mention that I have to do some paperwork in Paris so I need to go anyway, that's why the van rental was a perfect fit.

I guess it's just not possible... Thanks anyway for your help guys, I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Considering how much would a rental cost you anyway, it's probably cheaper to buy a van.

Just buy a reasonable condition van for 1000 euros (with test and tax). Purchase commercial insurance for it.
    Drive to France and bring all your stuff.
    Then sell a van again for 1000 euros, and cancel your insurance within 14 days of purchasing, so they will have to refund you and keep only proportional value premium for those 14 days.

You might end up doing everything with cost less than 100euros, and if you are lucky to sell a van for bit more then you bought it, then you might even earn a few bob on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

How about : http://www.vantasks.ie/

Run by Cormie, a boards member, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=19234

You could ask him if you can be a passenger ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Hi guys,

Thanks.

Yeah, a removals firm. One like everyone else uses. If i need to sail to england, I'm not gonna buy a ferry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

buy a cheap van,use it sell it there or back here

Yeah, a removals firm. One like everyone else uses. If i need to sail to england, I'm not gonna buy a ferry.

Not everyone has a secret vault full of gold bars, diamonds, bond papers and the like... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pheelay

Sent you a PM jnanin.
    I'm in a similar boat myself. After moving back to Ireland and all my junk is still over in Paris

pheelay wrote: »
    Sent you a PM jnanin.
    I'm in a similar boat myself. After moving back to Ireland and all my junk is still over in Paris

Answered pheelay.

Just in case anyone is interested, I've finally booked a removal via anyvan.ie

A friend of mine in Paris will meet the guy there and help him out with the translation (they don't speak english in the self-storage) and loading the van; and I'll go another time to Paris to take care of the paperwork.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Cheers

Answered pheelay.

Just in case anyone is interested, I've finally booked a removal via anyvan.ie

A friend of mine in Paris will meet the guy there and help him out with the translation (they don't speak english in the self-storage) and loading the van; and I'll go another time to Paris to take care of the paperwork.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Cheers

Just make sure to post us the hilarious consequences, should there be any! :D;):P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Not everyone has a secret vault full of gold bars, diamonds, bond papers and the like... ;)

Maybe they need to get up earlier so. :D:P Also, where's mine, I want it. Now.

Maybe they need to get up earlier so. :D:P Also, where's mine, I want it. Now.

With a name like that you probably have a secret lair in a hollowed out volcano. In that case its behind the painting just next to the piranha tank. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lowrisk

Hey,

did anyone managed to find a company that would let you rent and drive in France ?

I’m moving to France and I really want to rent a van…

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fabien_Fab

Hey lowrisk, I am in the same situation, and I'm stuck as I can not move back home with my 2 cats and stuff so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi Fabien, if you'd like to send an enquiry through www.VanTasks.ie I may be able to help with you moving personal belongings and the cats in the one move.

Hey Cormie, if I ring the phone number on the website, will I be talking to you? I'm asking this as I have my ferry trip booking frozen until tomorrow, so I would have liked to talk to you today to find out more.

I have a day to decide if:

• I go in my own Irish car and transport cats and some of my stuff. I would still have to transport the main stuff remaining and find a way to bring back or sell my Irish car but would limit costs.
    • Find a van to rent / van services that could assist with moving and cats.

I refuse the plane for the cats due to its risks and non-direct possibility from Cork to Bordeaux.

Thanks Cormie

• Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi Fabien, if you'd like to ring through you can speak to me. It might be a bit rushed to be able to accommodate anything so soon. Also on a dedicated load service, it's not going to be cheap. If you'd like to ring I can at least advise and you can then see what options may suit you best :)

I am not leaving tomorrow, but the booking is held until then. Perfect as I wanted to give you a ring to discuss and clarify a few things. I will ring up now.

Advertisement