Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naomh Eanna - Grand Canal Dock

• 19-10-2013 2:00pm
    Site Banned Posts: 23

What should be done with this eyesore ? Could it be towed and scuttled in the Irish Sea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

What is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's a hulk of a ship which has been tied up permanently in Grand Canal Dock for years and years. Not sure what purpose it originally served - there used to be an Aran Islands ferry called the Naomh Eanna, not sure if it's the same one though.

The Surfdock shop used to operate out of it - are they gone now? Last time I was there, a few months ago, there was a wakeboarding set-up in the dock, which I thought was something to do with Surfdock... not sure about that.

Shop or no shop, though, I'd agree with you, it is a bit of an eyesore!

ETA - aha, I was at least half right - it is the ex-Aran Is ferry!

http://irishwaterways.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/unthreatened-boats-at-grand-canal-dock-march-2008-01_resize.jpg

It's about halfway down this page http://irishwaterwayshistory.com/about/irish-inland-waterways-vessels/non-wi-workboats/ and says it's the Surfdock shop - but not sure when the page dates from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

There is two shops based in the ship one is Surf dock and the other is flagship scuba.

• Site Banned Posts: 23 Stonky

andy_g wrote: »
    There is two shops based in the ship one is Surf dock and the other is flagship scuba.

It looks dreadful. Like a wreck

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

read all about it here
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naomh-Eanna-Trust/211241455563057

Either restore it (highly unlikely) or give it back to the Galwegians ;)

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »
    read all about it here

Either restore it (highly unlikely) or give it back to the Galwegians ;)

Give it back to them and it'll end up the same way as the puffer that rusted away near Letterfrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 swimmingpool

Its an eyesore all right. Bring it out to sea and sink it, or sell it for scrap.
    Why is it allowed to be parked there anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Looking at the pictures you would be talking hundreds of thousands to get it properly restored and mobile if it's a resoration to it's original style, no idea where this money will come from and I can't see the state paying for it. It's over 25 years lying pretty much idle, how some decision on what to do with it has taken this long is beyond me. As far as I know scuttling is illegal now and vessel would need to be properly disposed of onshore, again big expense to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Looking at the pictures you would be talking hundreds of thousands to get it properly restored and mobile if it's a resoration to it's original style, no idea where this money will come from and I can't see the state paying for it. It's over 25 years lying pretty much idle, how some decision on what to do with it has taken this long is beyond me. As far as I know scuttling is illegal now and vessel would need to be properly disposed of onshore, again big expense to do.

Scuttling under permit is legal by marine a fisheries if it will bring tourism I.E dive sites to the comunity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I love for it to be restored, who owns it anyway? Remember Flagship Scuba being in it. Slim chance of that happening in this country, unless like the Cill Airne someone takes it under their wing to do it up and develop it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭neris

Did cie not own it?

neris wrote: »
    Did cie not own it?

It did. Assume it was sold off at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Are both companies still based in the ship though?! I dont think they would like it if it was scuttled:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

good to see the Irish mentality of destroying our heritage is alive and well.

like it our not this ship is part of the states maritime history. As far as i remember this ship was built in Ireland and served the arann islands for decades.
    It should be refurbished and if it is, would be a nice tourist attraction.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Apparently the businesses still use her http://www.flagshipscuba.com/ship.php

The thing about maritime heritage is, it costs lots and lots of €€€€€€. Who's going to pay for it?

From the site looks like some entity called the 'Irish Nautical Trust' own her now.

Asked to have a look at the upper decks visiting the shop a few years ago, was told the decks are too slippy and unsafe to walk across now.

Like what was mentioned, it all costs €€€€, we don't have the wealthy interested individuals or groups to take care of these things properly...you can forget about state funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Having just had the misfortune to listen to "Seacapes" on RTE I really do despair of preservation of anything in Ireland. Give away anything that's left to anybody in NI who's interested and they do exist. The piece on the so-called National Maritime Museum was like something from the 1970's - 40+ years on and preservation in the Republic remains a joke. The piece about a painting of the Asgard 2 really takes the biscuit - I'm sure it will be podcast but be sure to have a sick bucket handy. Ban now welcome as I'm well and truly done here. :mad:

Don't forget the Museum in Haigh terrace was closed for years after storm damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

From reading the above posts I'm in equal parts amazed and disappointed to see so many people casually suggesting that the ferry be scrapped - its not like we have many of these vessels left any more just lying around :confused:

I'm also sorry to have to report that it looks like the vessel may be scrapped next year unless some funding materialises :mad:

The now defunct DDA had originally planned to refurbish the two remaining graving docks beside the Naomh Eanna and to have the ferry permanently dry-docked there as a shop / attraction in a social / commercial space - which is a great idea and as an avid conservationist I think should be financed. The ferry has been berthed in Grand Canal Docks for the past 25 years and has been home to the surfdock shop for at least the last 20, and to the scuba company for about 10 years (I think). If it were refurbished like the Cill Airne which is currently docked in the Liffey outside Price Waterhouse Coopers, it could be a very attractive and profitable centrepiece to the docks as a whole.

The Naomh Eanna is currently a business premises that is providing a useful service commercially and could with some restoration be aesthetically pleasing too. On that basis that it should be maintained as is - that is as a floating commercial space. It could be expanded to include a coffee shop on the upper decks with seating in the saloon and on the outside decks which I'm sure would be popular given that the ferry sees a lot of visitors already between the surf shop, the scuba shop, and the Viking duckboat tours that all operate on or near the vessel.

Im not saying that everything should be kept simply because of its age, but to take something that is not beyond repair and that is currently turning a profit and send it to the scrap heap is not just short-sighted but an act of vandalism.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

From the Naomh Eanna trust.

We have just been talking to Waterways Ireland about the developments that have happened in the last few months. The ship itself has become a major hazard for everyone involved as she is taking on water through her decks.
    The graving dock at the eastern end of the basin are being opened now and next week the Naomh Eanna will be towed into the dock to be dismantled in the next two weeks. Although she is still afloat at Charlotte Quay, both businesses have vacated the ship and she is now without power and Waterways Ireland have taken her over from her owners.

For us to save her, we would need to meet the 100,000 euro costs of Waterways Ireland by next week and then get permission from NAMA who are managing the graving dock in order for her to stay in drydock until repairs can be carried out. Insurance would also need to be placed on the ship immediately and with no survey we wont get any insurance.

Unfortunately it looks as if our efforts over the past nine years have failed and she will meet her end in the coming weeks. Some items will be salvaged from the ship and kept by the Nautical Trust and ourselves as a reminder of the once great ship that served so many islanders for so many years.

It is a sad day...

926630.jpg

• Advertisement

Unbelievable - only in Ireland could this still happen. Has anybody contacted the media about this fiasco? :mad:

Perhaps they should break-up the "Mary Stanford" at the same time and save a few bob.

Sad, but hardly surprising. Who the hell are the 'Nautical Trust' anyway?

It survived into the 21st cent for this....to be stripped of anything of value and scrapped. Wonder will they even put them on public display or will they end up on someones mantlepiece. Makes me sick, esp when our nearest neighbour can develop an attraction like this....http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=221,631051&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

I've just checked out the Naomh Eanna Trust Facebook page and they only managed to register 141 likes since May 14, 2011 - says more about the organisation of the Trust rather than a lack of public interest.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Her compass, telegraph and wheel have already been stolen :(

225252_211245175562685_211241455563057_695022_781494_n.jpg

541284_387906154563252_211241455563057_1292498_220308215_n.jpg

Jesus wept.

Appalling. No other words for it.

This angers me in more ways that I can articulate. To loose a heritage vessel that is providing a positive use in an under utilised area of the city is just another example of this countries colossal ability to squander its resources.

NAMA wouldn't have to pay a penny in order for the ship to sit in the graving docks for the mean time would it? Why not move it there until money can be raised to make the decks /Hull safe again?

Is there anyone we can contact about this? Waterways Ireland? NAMA? Local TD's?

I've just passed on all the various details to Liveline - why me and not the Naomh Eanna Trust - I don't know enough about what's going on.

Appalling. No other words for it.

This angers me in more ways that I can articulate. To loose a heritage vessel that is providing a positive use in an under utilised area of the city is just another example of this countries colossal ability to squander its resources.

NAMA wouldn't have to pay a penny in order for the ship to sit in the graving docks for the mean time would it? Why not move it there until money can be raised to make the decks /Hull safe again?

Is there anyone we can contact about this? Waterways Ireland? NAMA? Local TD's?

Contact all of them - my next step is Varadkar and Jimmy Deenihan.

Even if she was turned into student accommodation she would pay for herself.

• Advertisement

Contact all of them - my next step is Varadkar and Jimmy Deenihan.

I'm typing up something now.

Advertisement