Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insuring a Commercial van privately

• 13-03-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I know there is previous threads about this on the forum, which I've read through, but I can't seem to find the answer.

I am planning on buying a van, a 1999 VW Transporter. I won't be using it commercially, just for myself, however my hobby involves carrying loads of equipment around the country, but its purely a hobby, no commercial side to it.

If I am understanding it right, you need a VAT number to tax a commercial vehicle. So can I just tax it privately if I don't have a VAT number??? However I was planning on buying a van that allready had tax on it.

So can I buy the van with commercial tax and then insure it privately???

Or do I have to reclassify the vehicle??? Is that expensive and that would devalue the van when I sell it on after the summer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 darekmich

I had the same problem before, couple months ago, bought my van, which i`m using for carry scuba diving equipment, have no private company -business.
    What i had to do is insure van privately, and after that, in tax office reclassify a vehicle - for a private. Now paying private tax. Just don`t know yet, will i do nct or doe this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

It will still be DOE no matter how it's taxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

DOE regardless of classification :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

i got an auris van recently, on my car insurance they wanted an extra €200 to cover it, so i cancelled the policy was only a month in after renewal so not too bad, got a new commerical policy was nearly €200 cheaper than car to get same cover, van is now covered sd&c and business use, tax is out next month so i will see how the tax renewal comes in

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

darekmich wrote: »
    I had the same problem before, couple months ago, bought my van, which i`m using for carry scuba diving equipment, have no private company -business.
    What i had to do is insure van privately, and after that, in tax office reclassify a vehicle - for a private. Now paying private tax. Just don`t know yet, will i do nct or doe this summer.

Were you able to insure it privately, on normal private motor insurance the same as applies to cars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

VW Transport single or cred cab model classed as GCV must be insured under commercial insurance .
    Explain the use reason for use if not trade job - as in diving gear, pets whatever it is , insurance can be classed for private use if genuine case.

taxation of vehicle is upto you status , VAT registered, farm use etc..

As for Car-Vans , these vehicles can be cover under private motors or commercial policies but caution for level of cover, (if you tax is commercial as your a builder but are stopped doing social, ,domestic or private usage you leave yourself in danger of fine/removal of vehicle by Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Funny story.

A friend of mine had a Peugeot 207 car van but it was taxed and insured privately. He was at the toll bridge and the lady wanted the price of a van off him, after explaining the situation to her, she said, it doesn't have back seats, so it's a van. So he crossed his arms and sat there, refused to pay the extra and she wasn't letting up either.

He then reversed back (Don't do this at home, kids) and drove into the self service lane and payed his 1.80 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 39 spanner555

just rang liberty insurance, and they won't even quote me for commercial insurance on my jeep because i do not have a business/vat number.

Is this normal?

I am already with aviva (for several years) without any problems, but was just seeing if i could get a cheaper quote elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Insurance companies want proof of vat registration. You don't need to have a business though. Pal of mine owns a country house and his jeep is commercially taxed/ reg-Ed on the basis of his using it to upkeep his house and surrounding property.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Funny story.

A friend of mine had a Peugeot 207 car van but it was taxed and insured privately. He was at the toll bridge and the lady wanted the price of a van off him, after explaining the situation to her, she said, it doesn't have back seats, so it's a van. So he crossed his arms and sat there, refused to pay the extra and she wasn't letting up either.

He then reversed back (Don't do this at home, kids) and drove into the self service lane and payed his 1.80 :P

Tis pot luck with this one. At the M3 toll I'm charged as a van, depending on whos there (if its not copped that its a van)

Through the auto barrier I'm charged as a van.

Same crack outside Portlaoise, I think it was 3.55 each way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39 spanner555

Bearcat wrote: »
    Insurance companies want proof of vat registration. You don't need to have a business though. Pal of mine owns a country house and his jeep is commercially taxed/ reg-Ed on the basis of his using it to upkeep his house and surrounding property.

I think it's all getting a bit too messy for me now. I bring tools to work in it, but I am an emloyee, rather than running my own business.

I have it taxed commercially, which I know is wrong, because occasionally I use it to tow a fishing boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sorehead21

I'm thinking about buying 2010 citreon berlingo, I want to insure this privately , I understood that once you insured privately that you would have to nct every two years , but going by posts here it seems like I need to DOE the van yearly have I got this right .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

You will need to DOE.

That said, my 206 VAN is taxed commercially and insured privately.. when trying to tax it privately a few years back they wouldn't let me..

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Just give them your pps number to tax the van ..

Drive a berlingo myself 26 7years no claims and im paying less to insure her then my tax ..

The problem with taxing a van privately is it ****s it up for the next guy..

The idea of paying private tax on a van is retarded.

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭glaswegian

Apologies for digging up an old thread,

I recently bought a Peugeot Partner van, i rang my insurance broker to transfer cover from my previous van and there is a few quid to pay as the Partner is a few years younger than my previous van, while i had the lady on the phone i asked her if there is any difference in price between commercial and private insurance for the van and she told me there is no such thing as private insurance for vans, have things changed since the OP, as a couple of posters have private ins for their van.

Advertisement