Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learner Permit form and requirement questions

• 24-01-2014 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi, I have a couple of questions about this learner permit thing which hopefully somebody here can answer :]

So I previously held a learner licence which expired back in 2009 and I never bothered to renew it because well I'm a lazy sh!t but I went and did the theory test again and have the certificate thing they give you when you pass.

In the NDLS form to get the learner permit, it asks two questions regarding previous permits. The first is Part 1 Question 1 which asks if I have previously held a learner's permit.

Now I had the licence they issued before this permit business came in so I'm not really sure what way to answer that.

Second Question is in Part 2 Question 14 which asks about the application type and lists the options:
    First Time, Renewal, Exchange, Replacement

As the licence I had before has expired and I don't think it can be renewed any more, do I choose First Time?

Last question is about the documentation I need to bring with me when getting the permit. I had a look at the RSA.ie site and it lists the following:

1. The appropriate fee
    2. Certificate of Competency
    3. Your current learner permit
    4. Your current full licence
    5. A completed NDLS Medical report form
    6. Documentation to verify your identity
    7. Documentation to verify your PPSN
    8. Lost licence declaration (see question 15 of licence application form)

Is the Certificate of Competency the thing I got from the theory test which is laminated?

I don't have a learner permit or full licence so I assume I can ignore those two. along with #8 as I didn't lose a licence.

Any idea where I get this NDLS medical report form?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Before any questions are answered, I've a question for you.

When did your provisional licence expire in 2009? Was it early January or later that year? This info is quite important and could be of benefit to you.

To answer one question, a provisional licence is now known as a learner permit. A change in name, in essence it's the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭alph

hey, it expired on 8/2/2009

alph wrote: »
    hey, it expired on 8/2/2009

No need to sit your theory test. It must have expired by 5 years or more for that to happen and if it does you need to do the theory test and are treated as a first time learner permit holder meaning you have to do the mandatory EDT lessons.

You are going for your 2nd learner permit. Get in there quick before the 5 year deadline!!

I actually already retook the theory test because I was sure I couldn't renew the licence. Where did you find out it had a 5 year deadline?

Do you know if I need to redo the eye test to renew it ?

• Advertisement

I actually already retook the theory test because I was sure I couldn't renew the licence. Where did you find out it had a 5 year deadline?

Do you know if I need to redo the eye test to renew it ?

I'm an ADI. You shouldn't have to redo the eye test as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭I can't tell you why

Mascot is right. Never mind the theory test. if you get a new 1st licence you do have to do 12 EDT lessons. If you renew the old one very quickly you have control of the number of lessons you take. I am also a driving instructor. This information is correct. Get off board and get renewing your licence now.

Did it today. All sorted now! Thanks a lot for the info saved me an awful pain in the ass and money!

Ta

On a side note: six feckin' weeks to get the damn thing T_T... whats that about :[

Did it today. All sorted now! Thanks a lot for the info saved me an awful pain in the ass and money!

Ta

On a side note: six feckin' weeks to get the damn thing T_T... whats that about :[
    You're welcome!

While I have you there, one quick follow up question for ya.

Do I need to wait six months before I can do the full test?

• Advertisement

While I have you there, one quick follow up question for ya.

Do I need to wait six months before I can do the full test?

No, that was during your first learner permit

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Hey, just bumping this thread instead of starting a new one as I'm in a very similar situation.
    I have a learner permit that I got 24/03/09 that expired 23-3-11 and want to get the 2nd learner permit ASAP.
    The thing is I'm not sure what exactly I need to get it.

Do I need to get an eye test done again?

I have a letter from the DTT stating that I passed the test and that the pass cert accompanies the letter, but I don't have the certificate. I sent it in to get the provisional but am unsure if I got it back, I've looked everywhere for it but no joy. If I didn't get it back do I need to try and get one again or will the letter suffice?

Any help is really appreciated, thanks for reading.

**edit** just found this.

"Where you are renewing your learner permit, you must submit:
    A fully completed NDLS "Application Form for a Learner Permit"
    The appropriate fee
    Your current learner permit
    If applying for a third or subsequent learner permit you must submit evidence
    - that you have sat a driving test (Failure certificate) or
    - that you have a forthcoming driving test
    A completed NDLS Medical report form if required in your case
    Evidence of PPSN"

So all I need is the form filled out, the fee, the old permit, passport and a proof of address?

5T3PH3N wrote: »
    Hey, just bumping this thread instead of starting a new one as I'm in a very similar situation.
    I have a learner permit that I got 24/03/09 that expired 23-3-11 and want to get the 2nd learner permit ASAP.
    The thing is I'm not sure what exactly I need to get it.

Do I need to get an eye test done again?

I have a letter from the DTT stating that I passed the test and that the pass cert accompanies the letter, but I don't have the certificate. I sent it in to get the provisional but am unsure if I got it back, I've looked everywhere for it but no joy. If I didn't get it back do I need to try and get one again or will the letter suffice?

Any help is really appreciated, thanks for reading.

**edit** just found this.

"Where you are renewing your learner permit, you must submit:
    A fully completed NDLS "Application Form for a Learner Permit"
    The appropriate fee
    Your current learner permit
    If applying for a third or subsequent learner permit you must submit evidence
    - that you have sat a driving test (Failure certificate) or
    - that you have a forthcoming driving test
    A completed NDLS Medical report form if required in your case
    Evidence of PPSN"

So all I need is the form filled out, the fee, the old permit, passport and a proof of address?

Yes as per your edit

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Great, thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Marenghi

I have a similar question. I previously renewed my licence. It expired this year and I'm not sure how I renew again. The NDLS site says it can be renewed if I have proof I sat and failed a driving test, or have a scheduled driving test. I've neither so what should I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

5T3PH3N wrote: »
    Great, thanks very much!

Don't forget proof of Ppsn

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

Marenghi wrote: »
    I have a similar question. I previously renewed my licence. It expired this year and I'm not sure how I renew again. The NDLS site says it can be renewed if I have proof I sat and failed a driving test, or have a scheduled driving test. I've neither so what should I do?

If it's your 2nd permit that's expired you need to apply for a test and take that confirmation with you to renew your licence

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Marenghi

Thanks, I didn't know if I could apply for the test with an expired permit.

Advertisement