Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM Punk Megathread

• 29-01-2014 7:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Wrestling Observer:
    C.M. Punk reportedly told Vince McMahon last night that he was going home, and did so. That's where things stand right now. At this point, he's off everything going forward.

Later:
    C.M. Punk has been removed from all house shows over the next several weeks.

PWTorch:
    A chain of events began last week:

- Thursday: C.M. Punk granted his annual in-depth interview to MMA reporter Ariel Helwani at his home in Chicago. Punk talked about not being sure if he will stay with WWE when his contract expires this summer. He also joked - in a revealing way - that he wouldn't be a fan of wrestling right now if not for himself being on WWE TV.

- Friday: Punk appeared at a Comic Con event in Portland.

- Saturday: Punk attended the UFC on Fox event in Chicago. This followed Punk requesting the weekend off from house shows.

- Sunday: Punk went nearly 50 minutes in the Royal Rumble match, was eliminated by Kane in the Final Four, and WWE appeared to be setting up a Punk vs. Kane mini-feud coming out of the Rumble to keep Punk's feud with Triple H going.

- Monday: Punk was left off Raw following a series of re-writes. Punk reportedly told Vince McMahon that he was leaving to go home.

- Tuesday: Punk was the top star advertised for this week's Smackdown TV taping, but he did not appear in front of the live crowd after going home on Monday.

ProWrestling.net:
    Punk was slated to face Triple H at WrestleMania 30. I mentioned earlier today on the PWTorch Livecast that it seemed like the plan changed to Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H. I have since been told that Bryan vs. Hunter is indeed the new plan for WrestleMania 30. At this point, it is unclear whether the shift to Bryan vs. Triple H had something to do with Punk's decision to go home or if that change was made as a result of Punk leaving.

Punk would be better off if he took a break. His performances are much worse and he clearly doesn't even want to be there.

I can tolerate Bryan in this feud, because of how highly the WWE rate HHH feuds. And if he isn't in the title match, this makes sense. You also have Michaels coming into the picture, which makes more sense. As long as he goes over, quite obviously, and he moves into the title picture afterwards.
    Post edited by Bounty Hunter on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Mokuba wrote: »
    I can tolerate Bryan in this feud, because of how highly the WWE rate HHH feuds. And if he isn't in the title match, this makes sense. You also have Michaels coming into the picture, which makes more sense. As long as he goes over, quite obviously, and he moves into the title picture afterwards.

I lol'd. I'd firmly expect HHH to pin Bryan cleanly 5-10minutes after hitting a pedigree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Loughc wrote: »
    I lol'd. I'd firmly expect HHH to pin Bryan cleanly 5-10minutes after hitting a pedigree.

A buried alive match would be apt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

They could replace him with Corey Graves and see how many people notice:

corey-graves.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

My interpretation from rumors is this -

He was promised the main event at Wrestlemania, something he never had, as a thank you/reward for when his contract was ending. Batista came back and he was removed from this main event. (CM Punk was pencilled in for Royal Rumble win and WM vs Orton before Batista came back).

He was then placed into the HHH programme which he was then removed from also because of Bryan.

I'd imagine at that point, with a reduced payday (WWE Network) and at best the match with 5th from top billing, he was pretty much like, f*ck this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

He's the guy I most look forward to seeing on Raw every week, hope things work out and he returns soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Tbh I'm not really surprised at this. He's looked so disinterested the last month or so.

I'd laugh so hard if he showed up at ROH :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sorry but I highly doubt WWE would give a "thank you" reward for a contract expiring; if anything I'd see it as a condition from WWE for a contract extension (i.e. if you don't sign the dotted line we'll not let you main event at WM)...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Mokuba wrote: »
    My interpretation from rumors is this -

He was promised the main event at Wrestlemania, something he never had, as a thank you/reward for when his contract was ending. Batista came back and he was removed from this main event. (CM Punk was pencilled in for Royal Rumble win and WM vs Orton before Batista came back).

He was then placed into the HHH programme which he was then removed from also because of Bryan.

I'd imagine at that point, with a reduced payday (WWE Network) and at best the match with 5th from top billing, he was pretty much like, f*ck this.

The hardest or one of the hardest working Wrestlers and stars isn't getting his Christmas bonus essentially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Pretty ****ty time to walk out but I guess there's no stronger message than doing it in Wrestlemania season.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭mikey13

On one of the sites it states that the fact he would walk out during mania season is down to him being smart with his money.

If the rumours are true I don't bloody blame him for going the biggest star should headline wrestlemia and if I was him I wouldn't be happy being bumped down 3 years in a row because of returning stars who don't deserve it.

I will continue to hope this isn't true and part of an angle with the authority storyline!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Is it bad that I never noticed his absence on RAW?
    Even in protest can't help but feel the way I have bout him the last few weeks a "weak Stone Cold wannabe"

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cagefactor

If you guys worked in a company where someone gets promoted over you constantly you'd feel like Punk I guess. I've had that in a job before, mates of bosses getting promotions. I left that place.

The only thing is, this is gonna stink Wrestlemania. We all love wrestling, and want to see a great show but it looks like it will just be a chorus of cmpunk chants and daniel bryan during the snorefest that is Ortan/Batista.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

He really should have headlines WrestleMania 28, like how many other times was WM headlined without the strap on the line? It wasn't fair to him, especially considering how over he was at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness, he's consistently been treated like sh*t in terms of booking.

First time he's World Champion, he loses it in a match he's not even in.
    After becoming arguably the biggest star following his pipebomb stuff, he loses the title a month later in an MITB cash-in and gets put into a feud with Nash and HHH.
    When he does get the title again, he's given a long title reign, but doesn't get to main event WM due to Rock V Cena.
    Then, he loses the title to a returning Rock to set up Rock V Cena II
    He barely gets anywhere near the title again
    Batista returns, wins the Royal Rumble a week later and gets to headline WM while Punk would likely have been facing HHH (who he's already feuded with)

He gets title reigns here and there, but he's always being nudged out of the title picture by returning guys.

If Daniel Bryan had won the Rumble, Punk might not have left, or at least not have left so soon. At least Punk knows Bryan has been working all year, is the crowd favourite and deserves the chance. But to give it to Batista who has already won a Rumble, has only just returned, will likely be working a reduced schedule (not to the extent of Lesnar, but can't imagine Batista working most house shows) and will likely swan off every now and again for movies/promotions, it was probably the last straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    He really should have headlines WrestleMania 28, like how many other times was WM headlined without the strap on the line? It wasn't fair to him, especially considering how over he was at the time!

I'd imagine the thinking was Wrestlemania 18, after Rock/Hogan the crowd didn't care about the title match and they were probably worried Rock/Cena would have the same effect.

I think its a work.. give it a few weeks punk can come back a drop another pipe bomb and challenge undertaker in a streak vs career match and HEADLINE wrestlemania!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

He'd be a big loss - he's definitely the sole reason my females friends watch wrestling and I've seen his mercy worn all over the place. Hope its a storyline thing, while he wouldn't be my favourite, he's entertaining and unique to watch.

Deadlie wrote: »
    He'd be a big loss - he's definitely the sole reason my females friends watch wrestling and I've seen his mercy worn all over the place. Hope its a storyline thing, while he wouldn't be my favourite, he's entertaining and unique to watch.

Definitely, Punk, Brock, Bryan and a handful of other guys would the only people I'd really care about. There's some new talent too like Reigns who has a future star written all over him but I couldnt give a fiddlers if tomorrow Big Show, Rey, Batista, Mark Henry and about half the roster were fired.

If they're not careful they'll wind up in a mid 90's new generation scenario.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

If Daniel Bryan had won the Rumble, Punk might not have left, or at least not have left so soon. At least Punk knows Bryan has been working all year, is the crowd favourite and deserves the chance. But to give it to Batista who has already won a Rumble, has only just returned, will likely be working a reduced schedule (not to the extent of Lesnar, but can't imagine Batista working most house shows) and will likely swan off every now and again for movies/promotions, it was probably the last straw.

To be honest I imagine that was the second last straw, watching HHH looking after his buddies, I'd say the last straw came with all the re-writes for Raw and being told he's not needed this week and his feud with Kane will be the main focus of next week's show.

The re-writes show what a mess the product is in.
    mikey13 wrote: »
    I think its a work.. give it a few weeks punk can come back a drop another pipe bomb and challenge undertaker in a streak vs career match and HEADLINE wrestlemania!

Yea this is never going to happen. Ever, ever, EVER. It would have mean his feud with The Authority was pointless.

[quodied wtLoughc;88720870"]To be honest I imagine that was the second last straw, watching HHH looking after his buddies, I'd say the last straw came with all the re-writes for Raw and being told he's not needed this week and his feud with Kane will be the main focus of next week's show.

The re-writes show what a mess the product is in.

Yea this is never going to happen. Ever, ever, EVER. It would have mean his feud with The Authority was pointless.[/quote]

The fued with the authority is pointless! They probably told him that he wouldn't get HHH at mania he'd get Kane instead..

• Advertisement

The fued with the authority is pointless! They probably told him that he wouldn't get HHH at mania he'd get Kane instead..

Yes I agree with this but not your idea it's all "a work"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

krudler wrote: »
    Definitely, Punk, Brock, Bryan and a handful of other guys would the only people I'd really care about. There's some new talent too like Reigns who has a future star written all over him but I couldnt give a fiddlers if tomorrow Big Show, Rey, Batista, Mark Henry and about half the roster were fired.

If they're not careful they'll wind up in a mid 90's new generation scenario.

With Shawn Micheals, Bret Hart, Mankind, Undertaker, Stone Cold? It's amazing that was considered bad at the time; seems like that would be a massive improvement on the current situation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Somewhere, Jarrett is getting excited that his rumoured new promotion might just have found their new star. :P

Yes I agree with this but not your idea it's all "a work"

I am being optimistic when I say that lol I can't imagine for one second that punks gone and not coming back surely WWE wouldn't let him just walk..

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

This could all making the Batista signing very bad business.

Sure, you might get a figure spike for WM, but surely losing a full timer like Punk because of a honeymoon period, would make the rest of the year a bit thin for big faces. I mean if Bryan was to get injured too, you're back to Cena carrying the weight again.

With Shawn Micheals, Bret Hart, Mankind, Undertaker, Stone Cold? It's amazing that was considered bad at the time; seems like that would be a massive improvement on the current situation.

In "The New Generation" era, Bret & Shawn were the shining stars, Undertaker was a good draw but he was booked in the same feud time after time, insert monster heel here.

Mankind and Stone Cold didn't make strides until "The Attitude Era" kicked in.

The biggest problem with "The New Generation" era was the cartoon like gimmicks they tried.
    I am being optimistic when I say that lol I can't imagine for one second that punks gone and not coming back surely WWE wouldn't let him just walk..

WWE don't have a choice really, if Punk walks there's very little they can do to stop him. When a wrestler walks Vince sees it as a slap in the face, they'll need to leave this cool before any reconciliation can be on the cards.

In "The New Generation" era, Bret & Shawn were the shining stars, Undertaker was a good draw but he was booked in the same feud time after time, insert monster heel here.

Mankind and Stone Cold didn't make strides until "The Attitude Era" kicked in.

The biggest problem with "The New Generation" era was the cartoon like gimmicks they tried.

WWE don't have a choice really, if Punk walks there's very little they can do to stop him. When a wrestler walks Vince sees it as a slap in the face, they'll need to leave this cool before any reconciliation can be on the cards.

WWE and Vince do have a choice they could shallow some pride and give Punk some of the respect he actually deserves!

WWE and Vince do have a choice they could shallow some pride and give Punk some of the respect he actually deserves!

Vince swallowing pride... have you not seen the strut on the man! That's never going to happen!

I'm talking about post Hogan/pre Austin,around 93-95. Bret was champ, Shawn was still a rising singles star on the verge of being a headliner and Taker was in some godawful feuds.

• Advertisement

Vince swallowing pride... have you not seen the strut on the man! That's never going to happen!

He's gotta be pretty p*seed its not been a good week for WWE and its only Wednesday lol

Advertisement