Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting the best from your practice session.

Options
  • 25-01-2014 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭

I came across this article and thought it was interesting as well as useful. Often, on different forums I come across people asking what is the most efficient and beneficial way to practice.

This (longish) article goes a long way to address this question :

http://www.dickhensold.com/playfaster.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

That was an interesting read. Alot of it e.g. slow practice is stuff I hear all the time and recommend myself, and it's great to see someone advocating using the metronome- some people tell me they think it takes the 'musicality' out of their playing :confused: I haven't tried dotting both ways though, must have a go next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

rhapsody wrote: »
    and it's great to see someone advocating using the metronome- some people tell me they think it takes the 'musicality' out of their playing :confused:

Yeah, there have been heated debates on other forums about using or not using the metronome. My own opinion is that metronomes are a useful tool to calibrate your own natural sense of rhythm. Used now and then, they are helpful but should not be permanently relied upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

yep I agree. It can be useful to play a piece/ movement etc with the metronome but of course when playing without it, it shouldn't sound too fixed. I've been practicing with one recently, and my teacher mentioned in my last lesson that it shows. Apart from that, I find it useful for measuring progress, creating a concrete goal to work towards e.g. scales to be played at a certain speed etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

I practice no more than 30 mins per day; 10mins scales & arps, 10mins reading, and 10mins working out a piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I practice no more than 30 mins per day; 10mins scales & arps, 10mins reading, and 10mins working out a piece.

I think regularity is more important than actual time, as is the actual practice itself. Something like your list above, would be very constructive. A half an hour a day every day is better than four/five hours once a week.

The iconic jazz saxophonist John Coltrane practiced for fifteen hours every day. Used to take the instrument to the bathroom and to bed with him. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

I generally practise at least an hour a day. Sometimes I can end up practising for 2 or 3 if I'm not working and if the OH isn't at home (half an hour of the accordion is more than plenty for her :D). Admittedly I rarely play scales, I just end up working on pieces for most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I don't use a metronome that often, every few weeks. I'd like to practise every day, but I travel for work, so it doesn't happen. My practise sessions are generally an hour, possibly a little more. I do scales to warm up, then easier pieces, followed by new pieces and sight-reading. I tend to finish with pieces I enjoy playing, ending on a high note, as it were...

Eoin

Advertisement