Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are these worth?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

hedgehog2 wrote: »
    Good luck,I am showing the madness for what it is you are trying to sell a siht oile as its yourcagenda

Could you repeat that legibly as I've no idea what you're trying to imply?

I'm not selling, or trying to sell anything - I'm just pointing out that your comparison is so flawed as to make it invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

OP for the first house you'd be looking at;

Upgrade of insulation (external insulation) (€8k - grant available)
    Overhaul of boiler (grant available)
    Knock a few internal walls (I.e the bathroom upstairs)
    Fireplace replacement
    Wardrobe replacement

Potential extension to the rear akin to next door?

Maybe €40k ballpark?

Second house:

Upgrade of insulation (external insulation) (€8k - grant available)
    Overhaul of boiler (grant available)
    Knock a few internal walls
    Upgrade kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what the hell have the american references got to do with anything, we are talking about the property prices in D.16 etc? Its irrelevant, you can go outside of Dublin and find houses for below build cost if location isnt an issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭dinnyirwin

hedgehog2 wrote: »
    I know its a different country but this is what you get on the west coast of America for less than 450k,my brother is looking at houses in this area and what you get for 250k dollars is incredible and the wages match it.
    I would never pay that sort of money for the houses the op showed us.

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Murrieta/30206-Savoie-St-92563/home/21952536

Nice house. If I buy it is it free delivery? how long does shipping take?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Being honest, I don't think these will go for the asking. I would imagine these houses will struggle to hit 400k. What does the ppr say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

So PPR says that a 4 bed semi on the same road went for 398 in December 2013. I think the asking is a wee bit optimistic and utterly unrealistic. Anyone know the square footage of the ballyroan road house?

I'd say 382K and for me, that's still nuts.

Id say they will make in and around asking and if they dont soon, if the seller can play the waiting game, they will sooner rather than later IMO...
    They are worth whatever the market will pay for them (as pointed out). Someone would probably pay €450+ for them today so that's what they are 'worth'. The question is whether that represents value, and this is something pretty subjective.

Would I pay €450K for a house that could have been bought two years ago for €290K? Probably not, as to me it points to something very wrong with the current market. However my opinion matters buggery all to the guy who will buy it for €450K.
    post number 4 hits the nail on the head, it appears we are back to square one, if you dont pay it, someone else probably will, sooner rather than later & we are back to the leapfrogging situation...

Thing is, the poster says it points to something wrong in the market, is it wrong now or did it overshoot? Houses around me shot down to near stupidly cheap prices around 2010 I think, problem was people either couldnt borrow or were waiting for prices to drop further, fulfilling the self fulfilling prophecy, seems like we are back to the old familiar self fulfilling prophecy now... Many said we would have a soft landing and a muted recovery, certainly not what has happened in SOCODU atleast...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Went to see houses Saturday and was depressing - same 50 couples at each with the same panic in their eyes, i will happily leave them to it.

The Dodder Park house has students renting there and there were beer cans and cigarettes everywhere! Superstar estate agent as you'd expect.

Both were in need of complete guttting - €100k at the very least, overheard many others say the same.

Had text from agent to say dodder park had offers up to €410k already, good luck to them!

I'm happy to stay renting for now and keep saving, absolutely madness.

boinkmaster, is there a reason you are looking at primarily rathfarnham?
    Went to see houses Saturday and was depressing - same 50 couples at each with the same panic in their eyes, i will happily leave them to it.
    For those that say they will wait for the madness to calm down again, with this many showing for viewings, and there being very little up for sale, could someone tell me when they expect this to die down? At least during the boom, people saw apartments are far more viable than they do now, now people are all after the long term, semi d, 3-4 bed, good area family home...

Both were in need of complete gutting - €100k at the very least, overheard many others say the same.
    Why not say 80, 90 or 110 k though, is it because 100k is a nice round number? If you are prepared to do nothing yourself and get in a boom time builder, yes it could be that kind of money conceivably...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

What side of the road is the Dodder Park one on? As far as I remember these houses are prone to flooding. In fact I think some of the houses have had difficulty getting insurance due to this fact.

Something to consider/investigate before paying that price!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Idbatterim wrote: »
    boinkmaster, is there a reason you are looking at primarily rathfarnham?

For those that say they will wait for the madness to calm down again, with this many showing for viewings, and there being very little up for sale, could someone tell me when they expect this to die down? At least during the boom, people saw apartments are far more viable than they do now, now people are all after the long term, semi d, 3-4 bed, good area family home...

I agree if people are going to wait it out, I think they should at least be prepared to do so for an extended period of time. I.e. not expect to be suddenly able to buy in 3-6 months time at prices much lower than today. In 2/3 years? Yeah, maybe, obviously depending on numerous factors. Make a decision now either way and stick with it! Don't get sucked in 3 months down the line at even higher prices (if that's the way things go - not saying they will).

I said it about 6 months ago - I don't see where the supply comes from.

The Dodder Park house has students renting there and there were beer cans and cigarettes everywhere! Superstar estate agent as you'd expect.
    If the presentation were poor and it put people off, this is the one I would be focusing on more, look, whether you are gutting a place that hasnt been touched since the 60's, 70's, 80's or even 90's, who cares what it looks like now, in fact the worse it looks, the better, the first thing most people are going to be doing is ripping everything out!

I agree if people are going to wait it out, I think they should at least be prepared to do so for an extended period of time. I.e. not expect to be suddenly able to buy in 3-6 months time at prices much lower than today. In 2/3 years? Yeah, maybe, obviously depending on numerous factors. Make a decision now either way and stick with it! Don't get sucked in 3 months down the line at even higher prices (if that's the way things go - not saying they will).

I said it about 6 months ago - I don't see where the supply comes from.
    Exactly, ok we know prices are up maybe 20% or below on the houses being discussed from the "bottom" how long before there is a potential fall in prices again "IF" things get out of hand again, 5/6 years? Even if they did, they would probably be down to about where they are now. It is unlikely they would collapse to the same extent again, given the insane sh*t storm that lead to collapse in the first place and the fact that even if the there is collusion here to force prices up and get the gravy train going again, Europe will have hawk eyes on us and now vetting our budgets etc, also its unlikely FF will be in again for quite some time. Price collapse of 50% etc again is nearly unthinkable, without another unimaginable sh*t storm at some point down the line. If I had the money to make a move now, I probably would, if I had it 2/3 years ago, I certainly would have.

I posted this in another thread a while back, titled "the madness has returned" it is a quote from the documentary, who's buying Ireland.
    from the documentary "whos buying ireland" on rte earlier. neville isdell, former chairman and ceo of coca cola "the early adapters, the one's in the minority, have made a big mistake or they do very very well and in my view, its the minority who are normally right, because when the majority believe something, its already happened. he ended up buying the chq in the docklands.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/media/219054-whos-buying-ireland-rte-documentary-9-12-13-a.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Idbatterim wrote: »
    If the presentation were poor and it put people off, this is the one I would be focusing on more, look, whether you are gutting a place that hasnt been touched since the 60's, 70's, 80's or even 90's, who cares what it looks like now, in fact the worse it looks, the better, the first thing most people are going to be doing is ripping everything out!

I completely agree - i was making the point to illustrate the apparent laziness of the EA.

I completely agree - i was making the point to illustrate the apparent laziness of the EA.
    obviously they reckon they are back to the point where they can get away with doing virtually nothing again, a sure someone will buy it... :rolleyes: I'm inserting a roll eyes, and unfortunately its a joke of a situation, but it's also true, someone will buy it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

The Merry Go Round has started again...another bubble is on the way and this one will finish us off completely.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Both were in need of complete guttting - €100k at the very least, overheard many others say the same.

You still won't spent 100k on a "complete gutting" - can you let know when you do buy so I can put in a bid for the renovation work?

MYOB wrote: »
    You still won't spent 100k on a "complete gutting" - can you let know when you do buy so I can put in a bid for the renovation work?

I'm looking to have two rooms knocked into one for a good price PM me! :)

chopper6 wrote: »
    I'm looking to have two rooms knocked into one for a good price PM me! :)

I'd be sub-contracting the work :pac:

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    I'd be sub-contracting the work :pac:

Just like in the Olde Days!

http://www.gumtree.ie/fp-building-services-in-dublin/c8120l3300001 I have used gumtree before. The Polish etc seem to give far more competitive prices, many of the irish builders attitude tends to be "my mortgage etc, bla bla bla hasnt dropped" :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The Merry Go Round has started again...another bubble is on the way and this one will finish us off completely.

This one won't finish us off because there is bugger all credit involved.

If it crashes it will be painful for a few people alright, but nothing like the last time.

spockety wrote: »
    This one won't finish us off because there is bugger all credit involved.

If it crashes it will be painful for a free people alright, but nothing like the last time.

There's an ad on Banl Of Ireland atm screens saying something like "although my properrty is in negative equity they still gave me a loan to move".

I'm not sure how this "deal" works but i would imagine a fair few people would be happy to further leverage themselves in order to upscale to different property.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

There's an ad on Banl Of Ireland atm screens saying something like "although my properrty is in negative equity they still gave me a loan to move".

I'm not sure how this "deal" works but i would imagine a fair few people would be happy to further leverage themselves in order to upscale to different property.

Window dressing, these kind of deals are few and far between. Certainly not enough to do the kind of damage done in 2008

I wonder if they will allow this, but make people give up their tracker (if applicable) to do so...

Advertisement