Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Incidence of measles, mumps and rubella all increase due to anti-vaccine campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

If that is the case then every child in the country would have to be immunised. There will always be kids who can't be for whatever reason and so continues on the parents blaming other parents for illnesses that actually nobody has control over. Everyone has to make a choice for their own children and nobody else has a right to an opinion on it

Making the choice no to vaccinate your child is not acceptable. Just like it's not acceptable to put your child in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

IEveryone has to make a choice for their own children and nobody else has a right to an opinion on it
    So true. That's why I chose not to feed my kids. Everyone knows it's just "Big Food" wanting to stuff their filthy chemicals down their throats. No-one has the right to tell me I have to feed my kids

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

it's my experience that parents who refuse vaccination for their kids are the same parents who can't / won't keep their kid's hair free of headlice. just no concept that they live in a community.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭KnotABother

If that is the case then every child in the country would have to be immunised. There will always be kids who can't be for whatever reason and so continues on the parents blaming other parents for illnesses that actually nobody has control over. Everyone has to make a choice for their own children and nobody else has a right to an opinion on it

Yes and thus why it should be mandatory! Why do you think they go in to schools to vaccinate them?

Vaccination and medicine has almost killed of diseases like Polio and TB that used to killed 1000s of kids every year. So yes medicine can get control over disease. If a child cannot be vaccinated it is usually because their immune system is suppressed or weak. In that case they will no be around other kids or will have very limited exposure to other children for fear they will get a simple cough or cold and die.
    Everyone has to make a choice for their own children and nobody else has a right to an opinion on

This is the most interesting part.....if I chose to beat and molest my kids nobody should have an opinion on it? If I choose to not feed them nobody should have an opinion? Of course people will have an opinion, so what I'm saying is that I am of the opinion that people should not be allowed send their kids to school if they may be carrying diseases that can harm other kids.

If people do not want to vaccinate then that is their choice but their kids should not be allowed put the health of other kids at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Since it's a matter of public health then kids who are not vaccinated should not be allowed to attend public schools. It definitely shouldn't be made mandatory by law, that's a stupid idea.. but there should be restrictions on those who chose not to avail of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Making the choice no to vaccinate your child is not acceptable. Just like it's not acceptable to put your child in danger.

Some people would say the opposite steddyeddy. Not so long ago I was bullied in to giving my daughter the swine flu vaccine I refused and was told to expect dire consequences. I don't know a single person who got swine flu but reading stories all the time about people who developed narcolepsy.
    There is not one single study that says vaccines don't cause autism in actual fact there has been s few cases recently where children were awarded compensation because courts found that vaccines did cause their autism

28064212 wrote: »
    So true. That's why I chose not to feed my kids. Everyone knows it's just "Big Food" wanting to stuff their filthy chemicals down their throats. No-one has the right to tell me I have to feed my kids

Get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This is the most interesting part.....if I chose to beat and molest my kids nobody should have an opinion on it? If I choose to not feed them nobody should have an opinion?

Well there's a leap of logic if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

There is not one single study that says vaccines don't cause autism in actual fact there has been s few cases recently where children were awarded compensation because courts found that vaccines did cause their autism
    Name one, or stop making up ****

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Some people would say the opposite steddyeddy. Not so long ago I was bullied in to giving my daughter the swine flu vaccine I refused and was told to expect dire consequences. I don't know a single person who got swine flu but reading stories all the time about people who developed narcolepsy.

Please elucidate the mechanism where vaccines cause autism. Court orders do not equal scientific reality or scientific evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭roadrunner16

links to sources please

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is not one single study that says vaccines don't cause autism

Actually there are thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If you force someone to stick a needle into my child against my will, I will seriously hurt you.

It's the parents choice. I have two daughters and whether the results of that study were falsified or not I do believe that the MMR can trigger a brain reaction in certain children and because of that we waited till our daughters were two years old before injecting them with live infections (MMR)

I personally know two people who's children started showing signs of autism very shortly after their MMR jabs. One of those children was a normal child, smiling and babbling and making an attempt to say words. Within 6-8 weeks of the vaccine all that stopped. The child is now 7 and has never spoken a word or smiled since. The other case I know of, the signs started showing 4-5 weeks after the MMR, that child isn't as severe a case as the other one.

Maybe it would have happened anyway but I definitely think there is some truth to the story that MMR and autism can be linked in some cases.

There's no credible studies to say it does either and I'd say there would be a better study into how many kids are alive due to MMR vaccines.
    The study that said it caused autism was debunked and the doctor who published it admitted that himself. However what he said(lied) was that it caused autism in 1 in every 110 kids. Have a look at this to put that lie in perspective anyway...even if it was true!

If a court fond a vaccine caused autism that would be a MAJOR ruling so it is clear you made that up or misunderstood the ruling.
    Well there's a leap of logic if ever there was one.

It's a credible response to the idea we should let people do what they like to their kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Should vaccinating your kids be mandatory?

Absolutely not.

The paranoia regarding this is insane. Freedom to choose regarding the vaccination of yourself, or your child is paramount. It would be a human rights issue to force vaccinate a human being.

They tried this in America but obviously had a lot of resistance. Sounds like the old Nazi Germany routine imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

CJC999 wrote: »
    If you force someone to stick a needle into my child against my will, I will seriously hurt you.

It's the parents choice. I have two daughters and whether the results of that study were falsified or not I do believe that the MMR can trigger a brain reaction in certain children and because of that we waited till our daughters were two years old before injecting them with live infections (MMR)

I personally know two people who's children started showing signs of autism very shortly after their MMR jabs. One of those children was a normal child, smiling and babbling and making an attempt to say words. Within 6-8 weeks of the vaccine all that stopped. The child is now 7 and has never spoken a word or smiled since. The other case I know of, the signs started showing 4-5 weeks after the MMR, that child isn't as severe a case as the other one.

Maybe it would have happened anyway but I definitely think there is some truth to the story that MMR and autism can be linked in some cases.

go find the peer reviewed research before thinking horse**** like this. andrew wakefield was paid handsomely for his BOGUS research into this and has rightfully paid the price.
    look at the measles epidemic that happened a couple of years ago in wales to see the damage he caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

http://www.generationrescue.org/assets/Documents/Bailey-Banks-case.pdf
    I only read that one but there are a few other court documents there on that site. I have alos heard of a case settled in Ireland but with a non-disclosure so not public.

Skip to page 27 or the finding:
    The judge rules that the Banks family successfully demonstrates that “the MMR vaccine at issue actually caused the conditions from which Bailey suffered and continues to suffer.” This includes Bailey’s diagnosis of Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified, which has long been recognized as an autism spectrum disorder by the CDC and other federal health agencies.

All well and good saying MMR rarely cause a problem: when it does it is devastating, you want to be that one?

CJC999 wrote: »

Correlation does not imply causation.

lynski wrote: »

All well and good saying MMR rarely cause a problem: when it does it is devastating, you want to be that one?

You want be the person whose kid dies of measles?

Also, this may come as a shock, but judges are not in fact medical scientists.

T
    Also, if parents are worried by the combined they can always pay extra for the vaccines seperately.

Dont think this is possible in Ireland, or it is very dificult to achieve.

i dont like the tone of this thread, parents who choose not to vaccinate are not stupid, they are usually quite well inormed and making decisions based on their children and their childrens health. a one size fits all vaccine does not take individual immune systems into account. a child who has been compromised immunolically by any number of diferent reasosn could have a reaction that is unexpected.
    Dont demonise until you have walked in someones shoes or at least considered their pov.

• Advertisement

go find the peer reviewed research before thinking horse**** like this. andrew wakefield was paid handsomely for his BOGUS research into this and has rightfully paid the price.
    look at the measles epidemic that happened a couple of years ago in wales to see the damage he caused.

Paid by whom? who stood to gain from his research?

I only read that one but there are a few other court documents there on that site. I have alos heard of a case settled in Ireland but with a non-disclosure so not public.

These cases are related more to the fact that any medication has side effects. People are allergic to penicillin etc but we still use it without saying "oh it kills kids and causes horrible rashes". You can be allergic to fabric conditioner but we all still use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

steddyeddy wrote: »

It's not acceptable for you, or any-one else to dictate what another person should do. You, and others, with the same suggestion have no right to interfere or look for force mandatory vaccinations, it stands with the person/parent as to decide the choice. Any-one that takes this 'right to choose' away from a person is nothing but a fascist.

That court finding was panned heavily by the scientific community. What would a judge know about neurological defects relating to vaccines?

I believe the patent for the vaccine was given to a certain drugs company. One of their competitors paid him to fabricate the research in order to damage their profits

Himself, for one.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    You want be the person whose kid dies of measles?

Also, this may come as a shock, but judges are not in fact medical scientists.

Wow thanks for clearing that up! i think that if a case is before a court with medical EXPERTS on both sides to present facts to a judge, or to a number of judges, then they can be trusted to and indeed are regularly trusted to make determinations of blame.
    that is after all the purpose of the court, if they could not do it then these cases would be decided by a panel of scientists, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

zenno wrote: »
    It's not acceptable for you, or any-one else to dictate what another person should do. You, and others, with the same suggestion have no right to interfere or look for force mandatory vaccinations, it stands with the person/parent as to decide the choice. Any-one that takes this 'right to choose' away from a person is nothing but a fascist.

It's not acceptable to put the health of other children at risk because as a parent you are too pig headed and ill educated to understand the life saving science behind vaccinations. Anyone who refuses a vaccination on those grounds imo is a reckless endangerer of public health and there should be restrictions imposed on them.

Wow thanks for clearing that up! i think that if a case is before a court with medical EXPERTS on both sides to present facts to a judge, or to a number of judges, then they can be trusted to and indeed are regularly trusted to make determinations of blame.
    that is after all the purpose of the court, if they could not do it then these cases would be decided by a panel of scientists, no?

You dont know much about the court system in the US do you.....?

Companies will often settle out of court even if they are innocent to avoid legal fees that often run over the amount the claimant wants.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Actually there are thousands.

Show me one because I have been looking a long time and haven't found one single study that says irrefutably that vaccines do not cause autism. I found plenty that said there was no evidence that they do but none saying that they definitely don't. Two completely different things.

Advertisement