Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are these worth?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't see 50-100k renovation work in either of them? Short of the flat roofs being buggered, which you can't tell from photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

First is in good nick, new carpets and some visual work on the wardrobes to make them look newer.

Second has the hallmarks of a badly maintained house, outdated appliances and heating pipes done the laziest way possible.

Both would need the bathrooms renovated. Neither would requires more then 20k to bring them up to a decent livable standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I think both look in good nick, just some updating to your own taste. €20k max.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

what do ye think of the asking prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

It's 'worth' what potential buyers are willing to pay.

• Advertisement

falabo wrote: »
    It's 'worth' what potential buyers are willing to pay.

Yes obviously, i didn't ask how much they were worth. I'm asking about the asking prices relative to the current market and seeking people's opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Price to high for houses that need to be renovated. BER rating very low so insulation for walls etc. Radiators old or say heating system not far behind. Kitchens and bathrooms to be replaced. In itself not highly expensive but at the price and location id want it ready to move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Given people can't see where you would need to spend 50k-100k on them I don't think you would agree on what people would consider. I don't know Rathfarnam myself but it seems in keeping with the prices in the area if anything a little cheaper.

To expect a 2nd house to have modern decoration and new heating systems is an unreasonable expectation IMHO

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    To expect a 2nd house to have modern decoration and new heating systems is an unreasonable expectation IMHO

I don't expect any of those houses to be modern, im assuming once bought id put 50-100k into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I don't expect any of those houses to be modern, im assuming once bought id put 50-100k into it.

Your choice but I don't see where you would be spending other than your own taste. One of them is certainly walk in condition just not very modern.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Houses on that road like the first were selling for under €300K a couple of years ago.

They are worth whatever the market will pay for them (as pointed out). Someone would probably pay €450+ for them today so that's what they are 'worth'. The question is whether that represents value, and this is something pretty subjective.

Would I pay €450K for a house that could have been bought two years ago for €290K? Probably not, as to me it points to something very wrong with the current market. However my opinion matters buggery all to the guy who will buy it for €450K.

Are you that guy?

spockety wrote: »
    Are you that guy?

No I certainly am not but interested to see if others shared my opinion

What it was worth 2 years ago is as irrelevant as what it was worth 8 years ago
    Some buy at the top, some at the bottom. What matters is what it is worth now, and are the payments affordable to the purchaser.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

MouseTail wrote: »
    What it was worth 2 years ago is as irrelevant as what it was worth 8 years ago
    Some buy at the top, some at the bottom. What matters is what it is worth now, and are the payments affordable to the purchaser.

If that's what you believe then maybe you are that guy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

On what?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,834 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Would I pay €450K for a house that could have been bought two years ago for €290K? Probably not, as to me it points to something very wrong with the current market. However my opinion matters buggery all to the guy who will buy it for €450K.
    this hits the nail on the head, the question then is though, do you keep on renting OR buy and compromise on the price you pay or compromise on the location / type / size of property...

MYOB wrote: »
    On what?

Insulation, knock down interior wall to create larger kitchen/living area, new kitchen and bathroom, plumbing and re-wire, new fireplaces etc, new flooring and carpets, painting etc. would easily add up to €100k

my brother was watching this a few months ago, so I watched it with him. I believe this project all in cost 100,000. The prices being bandied about for doing up average sized houses is insane to be honest...

http://www.rte.ie/tv/roomtoimprove/s7ep2_gallery.html

Insulation, knock down interior wall to create larger kitchen/living area, new kitchen and bathroom, plumbing and re-wire, new fireplaces etc, new flooring and carpets, painting etc. would easily add up to €100k

I'd really like to be your chosen contractor. 100k is insanity money for something of this size.

I'm fairly complete on an extensive renovation of a 1970s 3 bed terrace and I've spent less than 10k with probably 5k max left to spend. Haven't used external labour except for things where its essential - I can't fit windows - but it wouldn't add up to that much.

Those houses are new enough that they should have PVC coated copper wiring and copper piping - you neither need to rewire or replumb unless you've got capacity issues.

MYOB wrote: »
    I'd really like to be your chosen contractor. 100k is insanity money for something of this size.

I'm fairly complete on an extensive renovation of a 1970s 3 bed terrace and I've spent less than 10k with probably 5k max left to spend. Haven't used external labour except for things where its essential - I can't fit windows - but it wouldn't add up to that much.

Those houses are new enough that they should have PVC coated copper wiring and copper piping - you neither need to rewire or replumb unless you've got capacity issues.

Me too, spent <40k on my renovation. I did use external labour (I can't hammer a nail straight), and the place was a wreck when I bought it, like water pouring in from the roof century old wreck. These houses need prettying up and a bit of insulation, not €100k worth of renovation! I know labour is starting to get expensive again, but not that expensive.

• Advertisement

If you have some idea of what you are talking about, can do some work yourself, i.e. preparation work, painting and can project manage, pay cash in hand, it can be done very reasonably...

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

Why would you pay 450k on any of those houses,really this is madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 snakeoilsales

Lot of estate agents on this site...

Craziness

Shylock needs a cruise.... its awfully cold these days....but not in Spain

First is in good nick, new carpets and some visual work on the wardrobes to make them look newer.

Second has the hallmarks of a badly maintained house, outdated appliances and heating pipes done the laziest way possible.

Both would need the bathrooms renovated. Neither would requires more then 20k to bring them up to a decent livable standard.

yeah right...

If you know the right people....

They are both structurally good houses but they are not worth those prices

But the rich Irish won't worry - they will pay

And both the estate agent and the builder will have a nice summer...

Right shylock???

hedgehog2 wrote: »
    Why would you pay 450k on any of those houses,really this is madness.

Absolutely...it is craziness...

But remember the market is impriving...be nervous ...we are goiung back to 2007... don't forget, shylock needs stuff

Absolutely...it is craziness...

But remember the market is impriving...be nervous ...we are goiung back to 2007... don't forget, shylock needs stuff
    I know its a different country but this is what you get on the west coast of America for less than 450k,my brother is looking at houses in this area and what you get for 250k dollars is incredible and the wages match it.
    I would never pay that sort of money for the houses the op showed us.

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Murrieta/30206-Savoie-St-92563/home/21952536

The two (possibly more like 3) hours each way it'd take to get in to LA itself for work would put me off that. Traffic in the US is generally FAR worse than here so the equivalent to check would be what you'd get for 335k in Portlaoise or similar - bearing in mind we don't have the weather for the pool or outside cooking area unfortunately. Wouldn't be far off in scale/finish.

The town its in has its top ten employers mostly made up of the local retailers - to afford that you'd work in San Diego or LA.

Its horses for courses really,of your work is there which my brothers is his luck is in.
    But all over America you get houses like that at the sane price.

hedgehog2 wrote: »
    Its horses for courses really,of your work is there which my brothers is his luck is in.
    But all over America you get houses like that at the sane price.

In all cases, not somewhere particularly close to a place of employment. Identical house to mine might be $2,000 in Detroit (or less, actually) - not a huge amount of use there is it?

The house you gave us there is in a town with virtually no employment; everyone commutes. Compare to the same commute distance from a major employment centre here.

• Advertisement

Good luck,I am showing the madness for what it is you are trying to sell a siht oile as its yourcagenda

Advertisement