Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Beast of Ballyhoura - Ireland's longest AR

• 19-01-2014 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

The Beast is back for 2014. Experience this uniquely Irish 40 hour non-stop adventure race set in the ancient and magical surroundings of counties Cork, Limerick and Tipperary. The Beast will start on Saturday morning August 2nd and finish on Sunday August 3rd. The race is designed for mixed teams of four. Teams will mountain run, bike, kayak, abseil, orienteer and shoot, navigating the best route to win. Prepare to meet your demons during this event designed exclusively to push each team to their limits.
    Start: 1st - 4th August 2014 Race for: Mixed Teams of Four (All male teams can enter but will be considered non-competitive)
    Beast entry fee: 800 Euro (Team of 4)
    All Ireland Inter Services Challenge
    The Inter Services Challenge is a race within a race. Your team will race over the same route as the Beast and rank in the results of the Beast but will also be in the running for the All Ireland Inter Services Challenge title. You'll need a 4 person team with at least 1 female and your team must consist of at least 3 team members from the same service.
    Start: 1st - 4th August 2014
    Race for: Mixed Teams of Four Only (at least 3 from the same service)
    Inter Services Challenge entry fee: 800 Euro (Team of 4)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dapope

Stick it in your calendar folks. Last years course was pretty epic. I would encourage anyone to give it a go. Get on a team first... ask questions later :) You might love it, you might say never again but you'll always have the memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Stuck :D Now to find a team...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Somebody recruit this man fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Causeway

Enduro wrote: »
    Somebody recruit this man fast!

Thought you would have been planning to do just that.

Make you're own team up.

Link to your race report from 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i'd seen you mention it before, but not read your race report. holy %h&t. i'm not sure whether i'm scared off it for life or mad to give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Must resist messing about.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'd love to try something like this at some stage. That and UTMB even if UTMB isn't messing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

mossym wrote: »
    i'd seen you mention it before, but not read your race report. holy %h&t. i'm not sure whether i'm scared off it for life or mad to give it a go.
    Must resist messing about.:)
    pgibbo wrote: »
    I'd love to try something like this at some stage. That and UTMB even if UTMB isn't messing :D

There you go MCOS, 3 left in the line up while the rest of us took a step backwards ;)

So teams consist of 3 lads and one hoochie. If not Oryx who is wearing the wig?!

A boards team would be cool alright. Anyone seriously up for it? Who can read a map? €200 entry per person may seem like a lot but it is totally worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

If you all do put a team together I'll help you out with anything I can.

So teams consist of 3 lads and one hoochie. If not Oryx who is wearing the wig?!

A boards team would be cool alright. Anyone seriously up for it? Who can read a map? €200 entry per person may seem like a lot but it is totally worth it

honestly, if i wasn't targeting lost sheep i might consider it. plus i can read a map, kind of, was in top 3 individual and on the winning team for the scouts national orienteering in my youth. not sure it is up the responsibility of navigating a team around though, the pressure!!!

as i said though, LS is a focus of mine this summer so not sure this would fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Pending faster choices stepping up, you can pencil me in for a Boards team. I can read a map and navigate, and in the likely event of my dying during it, my carcass would feed an army.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Pending faster choices stepping up, you can pencil me in for a Boards team. I can read a map and navigate, and in the likely event of my dying during it, my carcass would feed an army.

You could use tows on all stages to even the speed across the team :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

If there was a lad, hypothetically say, who was relatively fit and with no major plans for a big event this year, available to make up the x3 males on the Boards team and same lad has some QuarterMaster experience ;) where would he send his CV ?

*yet to be put to the Planning Authority but interested in exploring the option.

OK the Boards Beast Team

Pencilled in
    shotgunmcos
    Kurt G - can navigate, sweet. If there is a swim section at the start again we will have this nailed!

Expressed interest
    mossym & pgibbo: both doing lost sheep so not sure if a 40 hour race a couple of weeks before that is ideal prep? :confused:
    Oryx: Has 2 weeks to recover from IMUK, and we need a hoochie ;)
    AKW: knows a hypothetical other ;)
    Nerraw111: lurking ;)
    The Hobbit???

Enduro has volunteered as a mentor which is sound. We will have lots of questions. I had the privilege of watching the guy in action, in this very race, on his team :eek:

Training:
    At least 3-4 long training days in Limerick/Cork/Wicklow to simulate race type situations and to team build :D

as long as i get an entry to lost sheep that'll be my priority and as much as this interests me i'll go with LS. If i don't get an entry though and ye are still looking for someone i'd be interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Ha!

I'll throw my hat in the ring. I'm doing a 50 mile race a week before it but could be good to go with a week rest.

I'll be doing plenty of running and mountain biking anyway this year so in theory it'll be great training. I'm ok on navigation.

Guys I missed all this, was out making sure our last CCAR Winter Series event run as it should on Saturday. Enduro as mentor :) you can't go far wrong there, I'm also happy to give advice if I can. Would be great to see a boards teams Battling the Beast.

Causeway wrote: »
    Make you're own team up.

Link to your race report from 2012.

In progress!

• Advertisement

Just to confirm, the Beast of Ballyhoura will be part of the European Series this year again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Just to confirm, the Beast of Ballyhoura will be part of the European Series this year again.

Good stuff Ivan

Good luck with the preperations

Hopefully our team will be "Outfront" at some stage - preferrably towards the end :D

Paul, hopefully there will be a few other European teams to challenge you for that Outfront spot... maybe even a Boards.ie team to give you a run for your money, who knows. Get your team gathered together, it's going to be one hell of a race this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Paul, hopefully there will be a few other European teams to challenge you for that Outfront spot... maybe even a Boards.ie team to give you a run for your money, who knows. Get your team gathered together, it's going to be one hell of a race this year.

Would be good to see a good boards team out there for sure :)

It will be time for the talking to stop and the action to begin in earnest so hopefully it actually happens :cool:

Outfront will be there again and hopefully fairly well prepared too.

We have to all do our best keep these vikings and other foreign "raiders" from plundering the honor and glory of a Beast win :eek:

Excuseless wrote: »
    We have to all do our best keep these vikings and other foreign "raiders" from plundering the honor and glory of a Beast win :eek:

I like your thinking here Paul. Get your team sorted it could be a big one this year, the Danes already coming plus a few others from across Europe talking about it. This might also be a good year for a stab at it if you want to try something bigger in the near future.

Suggestions for the boards team name anyone?

Team is
    shotgunmcos
    nerraw111
    AKW
    A hoochie TBC

Is this the first TDAR boards team assembly? :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Team Tri Harder :)

OK I'm losing my touch.. Burned through 3 hoochie options so far :cool:

On the lookout for a girl to join the team. If anyone knows a fit outdoorsie mad hoochie, send them my way :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

OK I'm losing my touch.. Burned through 3 hoochie options so far :cool:

On the lookout for a girl to join the team. If anyone knows a fit outdoorsie mad hoochie, send them my way :)

Mwahaha. I hexed it.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Mwahaha. I hexed it.
    You put a certain inevitable spell on it alright ha ha you are not the only tough Kate in the world ya know :p

Advertisement