Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finn "Prince Devitt" Bálor Thread (Raw Spoilers ahoy!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

Tinie wrote: »
    I don't follow wrestling at all anymore really so dont know much about this guy at all apart from hes irish and wrestles in japan, but could he really "make it" in wwe I.e. be a star and win a belt or are we looking at him through tri colour tinted glasses?

Obviously as an Irish wrestler we look at him favorably. Particularly those who remember seeing Devitt wrestle in GAA halls in front of 30 people.

But in the wider wrestling world - Devitt is generally considered one of the top performers in the business. Following his recent heel turn and the emergence of his new character as part of The Bullet Club, Devitt is now showing (very well) skills that many (including myself) believed he lacked. He has a personality and a bag of charisma so I'm sure his value will go up following this.

Saying this, he's playing a character in a generally non-big-promo world of Japan - could he thrive in the promo ruled WWE Universe? I don't know, I don't think I've seen those skills from him yet - but evidently he has stuff in the locker that he's starting to show if he continues to perform and grow with confidence of having a true character then he could be great.

But Devitt going to WWE? Watching Chris Hero - roughly same age at Devitt, be released this week why would Devitt go? There's a financial security with WWE that is no way guaranteed if you sign a developmental contract.

He could stay and make his consistent wage in NJPW - while being used better than he has ever been (and that's over 3 IWGP Jr. HW Title runs, 2 BoSJ wins, 4 IWGP Jr. HW Tag Title Runs) and now he's in line to really push to go for that IWGP HW Championship over the next year. Devitt is on the path to dominating NJPW - if he leaves and goes to The Performance Centre for 24 months and then gets released he couldn't just go and slot back into his role in Japan, he's unproven in the US and no guarantee he'd have a TNA deal to fall back on.

Granted with WWE he could have the opportunity to become a millionaire, famous, more widely acclaimed - but he could also have a terrible time up there, regardless of his talent. Devitt has it well in NJPW, they're good to him and I believe he'll be good to them. If Devitt had actual plans of going to WWE then he wouldn't be posting tweets like that, regardless whether they are tongue in cheek or not.

He's merely talking to WWE - just another thing that makes him more valuable to NJPW. He won't leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

In all fairness you can't say you don't watch wrestling and then question if he can make it in WWE. What I've seen of him has been pretty impressive.

Japan and America are two different worlds when it comes to wrestling, it can be hard to adapt and it depends on the style you prefer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Legend Trolling:

BZOs6j4IIAA-le-.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

While I'd like to think they'd actually do something with him, I suspect he'll end up as a comedy act alongside Seamus. Hell, throw Knox in and they'll have their very own Dublin gang to rival 3MB in the cringe stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

rovert wrote: »
    Legend Trolling:

Hmm, that's interesting. If he's just posting that on the internet for a laugh, I can't imagine WWE will be too happy about it. Also, if this means he has signed, I wouldn't have thought they would be wanting him to be breaking the news before they did. Any idea of the significance (if any) of this Rovert?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

He is clearly taking the piss. Having dinner with Vince:

BZNLNV8IYAAaW9l.jpg

I'll be very surprised if he has any intention of signing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    He is clearly taking the piss. Having dinner with Vince:

I'll be very surprised if he has any intention of signing with them.

Oh right, hadn't seen that one. Think that puts to an end any ambiguity there! I would agree that it looks like he has no intention of signing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

He seems like a very smart bloke and he knows that getting his name circled by anyone that watches WWE is not a bad thing. The more people that may hear his name is all the better for him.

Observer:
    Regarding Prince Devitt and WWE, the talks up to this point have been informal. He has yet to receive a legitimate financial offer and he’s been telling people he’s going with the idea he’ll be working here next year. His New Japan contract expires on 1/31 but most figure he’s staying. Karl Anderson put out a tweet noting that “January 31, 2004, Bullet Club becomes the hottest free agents in professional wrestling. All of us.” Anderson always tweets in his heel character with the Bullet Club storyline being they are assholes to the New Japan management because they’re trying to be old style heels.

okv2nq.jpg

Knowing now his contract is up us an important learning outcome.

Bullet Club members The Young Bucks and likely WWE signee Eddie Edwards a Kliq curtain call at an indy show last night:

BZ2YlVGIUAEgR_9.jpg

WE'RE TAKING OVER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Minor thread res. He's performing in my home town of Ennis on Friday and I'm looking forward to it.

I think he's best off in Japan. WWE like big wrestlers not middleweights. The yanks wouldn't be able to see past his accent. Maybe he can dial it back more than Sheamus but I just think the show has gone fierce conservative in the last few years and anything a bit different gets stamped out sharpish.

In Japan he can wrestle the way he wants, write his own promos, be a proper heel, he's even picking his own music made by an Irish lad. He'll end up making good money in Japan the way things are going. You just have to make yourself indispensable. Are there not opportunities to make money from adverts, personal appearances and merchandising as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

He should stay where he is tbh. He's making good money and on the rise there.

Going to WWE is a big risk especially since he isn't 6'6 and 300lbs.

They'd want him to work their style too which is something about WWE I hate. Allow the wrestlers to evolve their own styles instead of trying to tailor them into their perception on what a wrestler should be.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I want Devitt to get the worldwide recognition (& money etc) he deserves, and that means becoming a WWE star. It's all up to him but I'd love to see him where Bryan/Punk is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I want Devitt to get the worldwide recognition (& money etc) he deserves, and that means becoming a WWE star. It's all up to him but I'd love to see him where Bryan/Punk is now.

Id like to see him at the top end but im sure he gets paid well over in japan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Hey guise maybe he should sign for TNA?

That would be good dont you think guise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

if he leaves for WWE he could always go back to Japan ? he wouldn't fall too far if was only gone for 2/3 years, and thats if it doesn't work out in WWE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

if he leaves for WWE he could always go back to Japan ? he wouldn't fall too far if was only gone for 2/3 years, and thats if it doesn't work out in WWE

who's to say his spot wouldn't be filled or his promotion would resign him? They might feel betrayed and that hes only coming back after failing in WWE.

His spot would be gone. Just like Tensai. He had a solid mid card spot and if he wanted to come back tomorrow, there wouldnt be a spot for him. It's gone. Devitt is in a much higher position on the card so his spot would be gone even quicker. Not to mention he has only recently gotten the spot. It's a massive risk to take at his age and one I dont think is worthwhile. He could end up going the same route as Chris Hero and it all being for nothing.

Devitt rarely wrestlers for other big promotions which has to mean he isnt short on money.

I disagree about his New Japan spot being gone if anything New Japan would give him a bigger push.

I disagree about his New Japan spot being gone if anything New Japan would give him a bigger push.

They push him up the card to his highest ever spot, he walks away to sign with WWE, then comes back in two or three years time and you think they would push him harder? Why would they do that when he walked away after the biggest push of his career?

• Advertisement

This whole obsession with WWE is unhealthy anyway. The reason televised wrestling sucks is the lack of competition. They won't have a monopoly forever, particularly when you think of the upheaval there's going to be when the cable networks lose their grip on content and everybody starts getting their wrestling another way. It's going to happen to sport/sports entertainment last but they can't hold off the internet forever.

They push him up the card to his highest ever spot, he walks away to sign with WWE, then comes back in two or three years time and you think they would push him harder? Why would they do that when he walked away after the biggest push of his career?

A WWE run and ANY WWE run holds so much cache in Japan. If Yoshi Tatsu returned to New Japan he would GENUINELY get a big push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

A WWE run and ANY WWE run holds so much cache in Japan. If Yoshi Tatsu returned to New Japan he would GENUINELY get a big push.

Very sad to read that tbph.

Like Shelton Benjamin and MVP's massive pushes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Well Benjamin was semi main on a few ppv last year against Nakamura and New Japan pretty much created the ic title for MVP.

They created a title for MVP.

Shelton has been so ****ty in New Japan for a long time I doubt he would have been kept on this long without the WWE on his CV.

What's the story with devil Devitt? Seems a bit at odds with the Bullet Club team. It's kind of a cool look all the same.

What's the story with devil Devitt? Seems a bit at odds with the Bullet Club team. It's kind of a cool look all the same.

It was just an increased production values thing for the Tokyo Dome show. It got over really big online and he painted up again on a UK indy.

On the Bullet Club some think Ken Anderson is being positioned a leader over Devitt which may mean Fergal is leaving New Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Whiplash

Prince Devitts match from Ennis Friday night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK3HwitoJw4

• Advertisement

Sadly would be in the Rumble. :p

Entered the ring in Scotland painted up like this about half an hour ago:

Be8UAMQIUAA6w43.jpg

Advertisement