Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chase

• 16-01-2014 5:44pm

Love this programme. Love Bradley. It's my favourite quiz show.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I like the show but I actually find the host fairly irritating. The chasers are good value though.

One thing I do like is that the questions are about right in terms of difficulty - not impossible, but not ridiculously easy either. Keeps it interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I couldn't agree more with you. I think it's a fantastic quiz show and the ONLY show I watch on the awful ITV ( for common people ).

Not only is the quiz format great and original but ITV played a blinder by choosing the extremely likable Bradly Walsh. Perhaps now all British TV stations will adopt a policy of now hiring similar such likable people instead of the usually creepy types are are in fashion over there ( remember Mathew Kelly , Paul Daniels , etc etc etc.. ).

No wonder the USA have bought it up with The Beast himself as the sole "Chaser".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I like the show myself but as for Bradley Walsh - woudl he not try going back to the acting game. He'll never trouble the Oscars but he wasn't bad at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

Do they let Paddies on it? I'm a veteran of 15 to 1 with good ole William G Stewart. Channel 4 paid for my flights, accommodation, spending money etc. I didn't utterly disgrace myself - there were only 4 remaining when I got booted off. But it was the best of craic... I'd love to give The Chase a rattle....

• Registered Users Posts: 71,260 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

colossus-x wrote: »
    I think it's a fantastic quiz show and the ONLY show I watch on the awful ITV ( for common people ).

*loses monacle in glass of Pimms*

A personal highlight was when a contestant chose to go for the lowest amount which was a negative, meaning he was taking OUT of the prize pot. The team didn't hide the fact that they, like the viewer, were rooting for the chaser!

He was caught, and for him, the chase...was over :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

I like the show myself but as for Bradley Walsh - woudl he not try going back to the acting game. He'll never trouble the Oscars but he wasn't bad at it.

He's in Law & Order: UK, which is still going. I haven't seen it myself but often see the ads for it.

I think Paul Sinha was a good addition to the chasers, he's probably the weakest quizzer but by far the most entertaining.

• Do they let Paddies on it? I'm a veteran of 15 to 1 with good ole William G Stewart. Channel 4 paid for my flights, accommodation, spending money etc. I didn't utterly disgrace myself - there were only 4 remaining when I got booted off. But it was the best of craic... I'd love to give The Chase a rattle....

Why not get in touch with them! Give old frosty knickers a run for her money!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Nope, need to be a UK resident to apply. C4 allow Irish people to apply it seems, as plenty have been on the likes of countdown, but ITV and BBC do not afaik.

*loses monacle in glass of Pimms*

Pimms in January? I don't think so..bit common.
    Gamayun wrote: »
    He's in Law & Order: UK, which is still going. I haven't seen it myself but often see the ads for it.

I think Paul Sinha was a good addition to the chasers, he's probably the weakest quizzer but by far the most entertaining.

Professional comedian apparently but I think Ann Hegerty has the better quips. Nevertheless like my remark about Bradly I find all the chasers extremely likable in stark contrast to say the Eggheads panel - a more dour, gray bunch of people you would ever wish to meet.

• colossus-x wrote: »
    Pimms in January? I don't think so..bit common.

Professional comedian apparently but I think Ann Hegerty has the better quips. Nevertheless like my remark about Bradly I find all the chasers extremely likable in stark contrast to say the Eggheads panel - a more dour, gray bunch of people you would ever wish to meet.

What? Even Daphne and the fragrant Judith!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Great show. Don't mind BW and the Chasers are great. Paul Sinha is hilarious.

On the other hand, Perfection has to be the worst quiz show ever.

Bring back Going for Gold with Athlone's finest, Henry Kelly!

What? Even Daphne and the fragrant Judith!

Cannot bear Daphne. Have you not ever seen the condescending way she reacts when her colleagues get a question wrong. As for Judith , putting that rather sickly description you gave of her aside, I recall Vine making a lighthearted quip to her on her turn and she took it in really bad spirit. It was a really embarrassing awkward moment and she wouldn't let it drop when Vine tried to move on but then again that's how you'd expect a stuck up cow to react to a bit of banter. She was exactly the same on Who Want's to be a Millionaire when she instructed Tarrant not to tease in a scolding tone. He's like that will all contestants - it's part of the show!!!! How anyone could find that type of aloofness attractive is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Do they let Paddies on it?

Anyone by that in the name in the UK will surely be allowed on it. Don't see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

colossus-x wrote: »
    Cannot bare Daphne.

Seriously? Who'd want to bare Daphne? (Shudders)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I like The Chase. It's a decent quiz and it builds up nicely to the final round. Bradley does a decent job of winding up The Chasers and getting the contestants chatting. The Beast is my favourite Chaser, he's good and he knows it.

It's a pity it's on at the same time as Pointless. I know they are rival programmes but I would love to see a special of The Chase with Richard and Xander from Pointless as contestants (with two other Pointless Celebrities). Maybe they could do it for Comic Relief, and have a Pointless special with the Chasers as contestants.

• Skid X wrote: »
    I like The Chase. It's a decent quiz and it builds up nicely to the final round. Bradley does a decent job of winding up The Chasers and getting the contestants chatting. The Beast is my favourite Chaser, he's good and he knows it.

It's a pity it's on at the same time as Pointless. I know they are rival programmes but I would love to see a special of The Chase with Richard and Xander from Pointless as contestants (with two other Pointless Celebrities). Maybe they could do it for Comic Relief, and have a Pointless special with the Chasers as contestants.
    They could make up the four with Diarmuid and Jeremy from Eggheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Gamayun wrote: »

I actually think Sinha is the best Chaser ,I've never seen him lose (except in the celebrity edition but that's rigged so doesnt really count.
    Sinha and the Beast are far better than the other too,Shaun Wallace is fairly poor .

Its a tough show,you'd want to really know your stuff to go on it yet it seems to attract alot of dummies .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Skid X wrote: »

Watch Pointless on BBC One, watch The Chase on ITV+1. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I respect all who enter and attempt to beat the chaser as the time constraints can result in serious pressure, especially if collecting winnings for a charity.

Not a programme I'd set aside time for every week, but still a programme that can be gripping at times.
    Bradley is perfect for this, somewhat like Vernon Kay in the UK version of Family Fortunes - perfect characters for their respective job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

A personal highlight was when a contestant chose to go for the lowest amount which was a negative, meaning he was taking OUT of the prize pot. The team didn't hide the fact that they, like the viewer, were rooting for the chaser!

He was caught, and for him, the chase...was over :pac:

Quite a few contestants have taken negative amounts.

It's probably fair to say that anyone who does so puts their desire to make the Final Chase well above everything else...

And one such contestant from Scotland, by the name of Stuart, not only succeeded in fulfilling that desire - but his team ended up winning. :eek: :(

Having told all of his team-mates to take the higher amount (none of them did), he then took the Sinnerman's offer of minus £2k without much hesitation. :rolleyes: And a very lucky guess on a question about the word "boycott" meant that the prize fund was reduced from £24k to £22k. Finally, the team won when Paul, closing in on a target of 23, tripped up on a Scrabble question in the dying seconds... :(

The producers must have been pleased with Stuart afterwards. "Thanks for making us pay out less money..."

Channel 5 did bring it back in 2008 - but with John Suchet, and without any contestants from continental Europe.

And with a lot of phone-in questions, too...

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Bradley is perfect for this, somewhat like Vernon Kay in the UK version of Family Fortunes - perfect characters for their respective job.

Have to disagree there. Vernon isn't as good as Bob or Les.

Or even Max, for that matter... :o:o;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

An incredible Final Chase today - the Beast was set a small target of 14, but only reached it in the dying milliseconds. :eek: :eek:

k2l8vd.jpg

I make it the third time that the Chaser has reached his or her target with the clock showing zero.

The targets were much bigger in the previous two, however:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

http://youtu.be/teNgQTrv6pE

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the above. Possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen on a TV game show.

I like the show, good idea but quite difficult to go away with money.

Bradley Walsh is perfect for it. Surprised people find him annoying. Think he's a very good host. But I never watched him on tv until The Chase so maybe that might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Bradley Walsh is actually very good as a host and I was never a fan his comedy act, it was very loud and ott (and crap), so it's great he is understated in this, just in the background letting the contestants and chasers be the stars. Oh and Shaun is usually the worst chaser with the weakest quips.

And to whoever said pointless is crap, thems fightin words.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Has anyone seen the BBC's Revenge of the Egghead?

It's like The Chase in that it's a team building up money and taking on the Egghead at the end. I can't help but think it's been inspired by The Chase (which is no bad thing in itself).

Watching it really shows just how good a job Bradley Walsh and the Chasers do. Jeremy Vine lacks charisma and the Egghead, CJ, is just unpleasant. I get that he's supposed to be the villain but the chasers do this with charm and humour whereas CJ is just arrogant and unlikeable.

• Gamayun wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the BBC's Revenge of the Egghead?

It's like The Chase in that it's a team building up money and taking on the Egghead at the end. I can't help but think it's been inspired by The Chase (which is no bad thing in itself).

Watching it really shows just how good a job Bradley Walsh and the Chasers do. Jeremy Vine lacks charisma and the Egghead, CJ, is just unpleasant. I get that he's supposed to be the villain but the chasers do this with charm and humour whereas CJ is just arrogant and unlikeable.

I watched it 4 times before I gave in to the urge to slap CJ's smug mug! (I threw a slipper at the telly) Awful, boring and nonsensical programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Great show. Don't mind BW and the Chasers are great. Paul Sinha is hilarious.

On the other hand, Perfection has to be the worst quiz show ever.

I love Anne Hegarty and the beast, and at least Paul seems fairly decent, but I cannot staand Seán's bullying and intimidation tactics and his stupid face

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Only recently started watching this and up until yesterday I thought that Anne Hegarty was The Beast. :D I must not have been paying attention. I often wondered why she allowed herself to be referred to in that way.

It's a great show. I love the final chase. It's really tense. I felt really sorry for the two who just missed out on the money yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Bradley Walsh is actually very good as a host and I was never a fan his comedy act, it was very loud and ott (and crap), so it's great he is understated in this, just in the background letting the contestants and chasers be the stars. Oh and Shaun is usually the worst chaser with the weakest quips.

I always liked Bradley ,seems like a really sound bloke unlike most hosts nowadays who seem to think the show is all about them and their loud obnoxious behaviour.

Bradley was a professional football player for Brentford for a few years before he had to retire due to bad injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I always liked Bradley ,seems like a really sound bloke unlike most hosts nowadays who seem to think the show is all about them and their loud obnoxious behaviour.

Bradley was a professional football player for Brentford for a few years before he had to retire due to bad injuries.

Saw him on Saturday Kitchen today (rock and roll lifestyle I lead) and he definitely comes across as sound.

Advertisement