Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Boggers Log

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Good point meno, it was the length of the recovery that was on my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good point meno, it was the length of the recovery that was on my mind.

Yeah, I can't imagine doing 3min-4-5-4-3min @ 3k pace :eek:. The 2 and 1 minute sections might come in close to 3k pace alright (especially given the 2 min recoveries) but the longer reps would be a bit slower I'd imagine...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Thanks Lads,

I'll start out at what I think my 8k pace is, around (6.30-6.40) and take it from there.

Cheers,

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

'Hard' means 'hard'
    Use your watch to tell you when the interval is over, not how fast to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Agree w/ Ray. I do this kind of workout all the time. You should just run each rep "hard" which means you should be sucking wind/feeling it as the time ticks down. The paces will most likely differ per the length of interval. TBH you'll get the most out of this workout by not paying attention to the GPS as you'll have to manage your pace by feel. This kind of thing (pacing by feel- pushing through discomfort) should really help you in a marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Agree with the lads this is about a hard effort, if you are not as in tune with pushing hard without going all out, the watch as a gauge is ok for feedback purposes rather than a determinant. If you do go with the watch don't be afraid about paces slowing as the reps get longer due to fatigue but work towards trying to match or better the times for reps on the way back down interval that you did the first time round.

drquirky wrote: »
    Agree w/ Ray. I do this kind of workout all the time. You should just run each rep "hard" which means you should be sucking wind/feeling it as the time ticks down. The paces will most likely differ per the length of interval. TBH you'll get the most out of this workout by not paying attention to the GPS as you'll have to manage your pace by feel. This kind of thing (pacing by feel- pushing through discomfort) should really help you in a marathon.

the above in bold and this from Ecoli,

don't be afraid about paces slowing as the reps get longer due to fatigue but work towards trying to match or better the times for reps on the way back down interval that you did the first time round.

essentially encapuslate the feedback I got from the online coach this morning.

Thanks to everyone who inputted, appreciate it.

TbL

Program called for a 15-30 min wu, followed by 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 mins reps run "hard", with two mins recovery jog between the reps followed by a 15-30 min cd.

Was instructed to run this on a rolling/hilly route.

Jesus, this was a head melting, ball breaking session that I haven't done before, lashing rain and strong winds added an additional variable to contend with.

Did 24 mins warm up and hit the pyramid.

Reps and ppm run below;

1: 5.35
    2: 5.52
    3: 7.03
    4: 6.29
    5: 6.35
    4: 6.47
    3: 6.03
    2: 6.16
    1: 6.00

Felt a bit all over the place doing this session but given the conditions, happy enough.

Finished with 24 mins very slow cd

Have another faster workout later this week 800m x 10.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Nice one to have in the bank. It looks as though you worked hard. Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

You seem to be back on track now.
    We might end up running together in Seville?
    I'm probably going to go for sub 3:10.

• Advertisement

Don't go trolling flanna01 when Pascal stops Bute on saturday ;). I love that thread!!!

yaboya1 wrote: »
    You seem to be back on track now.
    We might end up running together in Seville?
    I'm probably going to go for sub 3:10.

Thanks.

Getting back into it now and starting to enjoy it and feeling strong.

Need to work on the pace but if I can keep it together for the next few weeks I'll definitely give the sub 3.10 a good lash.

I'd love to have company in Seville, reading you blog I'd say I'm a bit off you at the moment but if you're up for it we could start together.

You might want to check with AMK though, I did a LR with him last weekend and I'd say his ears were bleeding after listening to over two hours of my ****e :)

TbL

menoscemo wrote: »
    Don't go trolling flanna01 when Pascal stops Bute on saturday ;). I love that thread!!!

Ha Ha Meno.

So do I. I've missed it lately, as it's gone kinda quite, no doubt it'll rev up in the next few days.

I thought I recognised your username from there.

That lad is mad as a box of badgers with TB but the thread is class.

TbL

Ha Ha Meno.

So do I. I've missed it lately, as it's gone kinda quite, no doubt it'll rev up in the next few days.

I thought I recognised your username from there.

That lad is mad as a box of badgers with TB but the thread is class.

TbL

NO, the lad is a genius!! I have my pension, mortgage and Christmas bonus on the 'Christmas cracker'. My life depends on it!!!

Reading Stazza's log got me thinking (more) about losing some extra weight I'm carrying.

Came across the article below, interesting end chart, that, if correct, I've Olympic potential :)

TbL

printer friendly | email | bookmark | RSS
    Ideal Weight for Running
    WHAT'S YOUR IDEAL WEIGHT?
    Dropping five pounds will make you healthier and faster--as long as you have them to lose
    By Amby Burfoot

PUBLISHED 05/18/2007
    Some runners don't worry much about their weight. they think: I run, therefore I can eat a cow for dinner. However, these same runners will gain 3.3 pounds per decade, according to a recent analysis of 4,700 midlife male runners from the National Runners' Health Study. That's not a lot, but it does add up, and the gain strikes even those running more than 40 miles a week. The same runners also gained three-quarters of an inch around the waist every decade--goodbye six-pack abs!
    I've always monitored my body weight closely, believing I have an American birthright to obsess over it, just like Oprah, Jared, and millions of others. I also figure there are two solid reasons to get on the scale every Saturday morning: I want to find and maintain my healthiest weight, and I also want to determine my fastest weight. I suspect I'm not the only runner who's interested in these two.
    Twenty years ago, when reading some early studies on body mass index (BMI) and longevity, I cringed. People of my BMI--I'm relatively tall and skinny, with a BMI around 21.0--were dying younger than others a little heavier than I. (You can quickly determine your own BMI using the tool in the Nutrition & Weight Loss channel on runnersworld.com.)
    On a recent visit to California, I visited Bill Haskell, Ph.D., to ask him about the weight and longevity question. He's the director of Stanford University's Prevention Research Center and a guy who's been at the epicenter of important health-fitness debates for 30 years. "Those first studies failed to eliminate some people who were thin because they smoked cigarettes or were already diseased," Haskell told me. "The newer studies show no increase in mortality until BMI falls into the mid-eighteens."
    The National Institutes of Health gives us four marks on the BMI ladder. It puts the underweight/unhealthy BMI cutoff at 18.5, which indicates malnourishment. If your BMI is 18.5 to 24.9, you're in the normal/healthy weight range. From 25.0 to 29.9, you're overweight, and your health risks (such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease) start climbing. Anyone above a 30.0 BMI gets labeled obese and faces dramatically higher health risks. Approximately 60 percent of all Americans are overweight or obese, and this percentage is increasing.
    Fat and Fit?
    While it seems certain that higher body weights are unhealthy, fitness counts, too. Steven Blair, P.E.D., who often describes himself as "short, fat, and bald," is the most famous expert in the BMI, exercise, and health field. He and his former colleagues at the Cooper Aerobics Center have collected the world's most impeccable fitness data; they've actually tested thousands of subjects on a treadmill. Most other large studies are based on questionnaires that ask: "How much do you exercise during a typical week?" And you just know a lot of people are wildly optimistic (lying) when they answer that question.
    The Cooper Center studies show that aerobic fitness is a powerful predictor of longevity. Indeed it's often better to be fat but fit rather than lean and out-of-shape. Fitness can trump fatness. As a result, Blair, a lifelong runner now at the University of South Carolina, believes we focus too much on weight, which demonizes and demoralizes fat people. "I'd like to banish the whole idea of ideal weight," he says. "We simply don't have enough data to say what's right for any individual or group. We should focus more on telling people they can get healthier by becoming more active, no matter what their starting weight."
    That's a great message, and one we should all take to our nonexercising, overweight friends. They need every bit of motivation they can get. Still, we should also remember that weight loss is almost always good. Because lean and fit will always trump fat and fit.
    Fast Losers
    Of course, some runners are more interested in fastness than fitness. They want to know: What's my best weight for fast 5-Ks and marathons? Will losing weight help? The answer is almost always yes. But, as with BMI, only to a point. Lose too much weight, and you become weaker and slower, not stronger and faster. Many parents and high school and college coaches worry about anorexia nervosa, a psychiatric disease found mostly among adolescent and college-age female runners, dancers, gymnasts, and skaters. The most recent studies show that anorexia affects about .6 percent of the overall population, but four to six times as many young athletes. Since some anorexics actually starve themselves to death, concern is justified.
    Still, there's no denying that healthy runners will race about two seconds per mile faster for every pound they lose. Weight loss boosts maximal aerobic capacity (VO2 max), an essential contributor to distance-running potential, because the less weight you carry around, the more miles per gallon you get from your oxygen. And because losing a few pounds makes running easier, you should be able to increase your workout distance and speed. So losing weight helps you train harder.
    Recently, a University of Dayton (Ohio) runner and physiologist named Paul Vanderburgh, Ed.D., has focused more academic attention on the subject. A couple of years ago, Vanderburgh, who recently ran a 3:31 marathon at 170 pounds, decided to devise a calculator that would "equalize" performances among runners of different weights. When he had finished his research, Vanderburgh validated his calculator at several Ohio road races, where it performed well. He published his study in the Journal of Exercise Physiology and put his calculator, which he calls the "Flyer Handicap Calculator," on the Internet. You can get there from snipurl.com/agesexweightcalc. Since the calculator also includes age and gender factors, it can be used to compare, say, a 25-year-old woman who weighs 120 pounds with her 55-year-old father who weighs 165. Fun stuff.
    "I hope the Flyer Handicap Calculator will level the playing field a little, and give more motivation to heavier runners," Vanderburgh says. For those who simply want to lose weight to get faster, he has this advice: Lose fat, not muscle. Fortunately for runners, many studies have shown that exercise-based weight-loss programs help you achieve this goal much better than diet-only plans. "If you're not already doing some strength training, you might want to begin, since strength training is a great way to retain muscle," says Vanderburgh.
    I've never had much luck with strength training, but maybe it's time to try again. I've lost about five pounds this year, on top of 10 the previous several years, by eating less pasta and rice and more fruit, vegetables, and fiber, and drinking water instead of fruit juice. I'm still heavier than my college weight, but I've narrowed the gap to seven or eight pounds. Result: My BMI is still above 18.5, my race times are dropping, and best of all, I feel great.
    Lose Weight, Gain Speed
    This table, based on changes in maximal aerobic capacity, provides a rough estimate of how much your race times will improve if you lose weight, as long as you have it to lose. If your BMI drops below 18.5, you're at risk of becoming weaker and slower.
    WEIGHT LOST 5K 10K HALF-MARATHON MARATHON
    2 lbs 12.4 secs 25 secs 52 secs 1:45
    5 lbs 31 secs 1:02 2:11 4:22
    10 lbs 1:02 2:04 4:22 8:44
    20 lbs 2:04 4:08 8:44 17:28

printer friendly | email | bookmark | RSS

Program called for 40-50 mins ER.

Shin did a bit of moaning and groaning tonight so pulled the plug after a slow 36 odd mins. Did some foam rolling and some old man stretches.

Getting a massage tomorrow

TbL

Shin did a bit of moaning and groaning tonight so pulled the plug after a slow 36 odd mins. Did some foam rolling and some old man stretches.

TbL

Good move on the massage and pulling the plug. You need to keep an eye on your legs. If it's the same thing that's giving you problems ask the therapist's opinion.

Stazza wrote: »
    Good move on the massage and pulling the plug. You need to keep an eye on your legs. If it's the same thing that's giving you problems ask the therapist's opinion.

Thanks, I'll do that.

Might be just a little tight after yesterdays session, but am scared ****less that it'll come back and knock me out for a couple of weeks again!

Ice, heat and stick rolling it half the evening.

TbL

TbL

Inside or outside of shin? What's the mtj of gastroc. and soleus (the bottom of the calf) like?

It's the outside of the shin. A couple of weeks ago when I started doing faster stuff with reasonable mileage a small localised ache in the tibia anterior spread from the ankle to half way up my leg and became rock solid and rigid. The soleus was very sore as well. Excercises for the shin, lots of massage and rest seemed to shift it.

The calf is a little tight tonight but I think I've rolled a fair amount of the tightness out.

The exact same thing happened me a couple of years ago when I was multi marathoning but it never came back till a couple of weeks ago.

It's nowhere near as bad as it was a couple of weeks ago, and I can point my foot back and upwards without pain (couldn't do this pain free before).

I might just be over sensitive to it as its just stiff now rather than sore.

Tnx,

TBL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It's the outside of the shin. A couple of weeks ago when I started doing faster stuff with reasonable mileage a small localised ache in the tibia anterior spread from the ankle to half way up my leg and became rock solid and rigid. The soleus was very sore as well. Excercises for the shin, lots of massage and rest seemed to shift it.

The calf is a little tight tonight but I think I've rolled a fair amount of the tightness out.

The exact same thing happened me a couple of years ago when I was multi marathoning but it never came back till a couple of weeks ago.

It's nowhere near as bad as it was a couple of weeks ago, and I can point my foot back and upwards without pain (couldn't do this pain free before).

Tnx,

TBL

*this is not a medical opinion and I am in no way qualified to offer same

I was feeling the Same type of discomfort during the summer and ended up missing 3 weeks due to something called Peraneous longus brevis tendinitis.

Might be worth a physio visit

Tnx,

TBL
    Ask the therapist to see if there are any active TP's in in the tibialis Ant. Also ask them to check out the retinaculum that holds the toe tendons in place. And ask the therapist if they'd be kind enough to look at the tendon of the big toe as it tracks alongside the Tib Ant. This is not med advice merely some suggestions to ask the therapist. See if the therapist is conversant with positional release, if they are, ask if it might be an option to release the dorsiflexors etc. Ask the therapist if they are going to strip your gastroc and soleus. Don't ask me how many times I asked you to ask the therapist something.:D

Thanks a mil, really appreciate it, that's fantastic.

I will however need to write her a note to communicate all that properly :)

And don't ask me what happened the last time I asked her to strip me and look at my gastroc :)

Man, the stuff that people are willing to share and help others on here is unbelievable.

Tnx,

TbL

Program called for 15-30 min wu and cd, followed by 8-10, 800m reps with a recovery time between each rep the same length of time it took to run the 800 (hope this makes sense)

Did 3.5 slow miles wu followed. Hit the track for one or two strides. I must be entertaining as I heard a couple of young wans who were hanging around the track laughing and saying, "look at charging hippo."

Little did they know that they were complimenting me because I've upgraded from a plodding hippo to a charging one this week :)

800 reps:

1. 3.06
    2. 3.01
    3. 2.59
    4. 3.05
    5. 3.03
    6. 3.04
    7. 3.06
    8. 3.03
    9. 3.06
    10. 3.04

Felt ok apart from the last one that I tried to do sub 3.

1.1 mile cool down

Feels like progress is being made.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

super session, pretty consistent reps.

how was the shin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭Duanington

Program called for 15-30 min wu and cd, followed by 8-10, 800m reps with a recovery time between each rep the same length of time it took to run the 800 (hope this makes sense)

Did 3.5 slow miles wu followed. Hit the track for one or two strides. I must be entertaining as I heard a couple of young wans who were hanging around the track laughing and saying, "look at charging hippo."

Little did they know that they were complimenting me because I've upgraded from a plodding hippo to a charging one this week :)

800 reps:

1. 3.06
    2. 3.01
    3. 2.59
    4. 3.05
    5. 3.03
    6. 3.04
    7. 3.06
    8. 3.03
    9. 3.06
    10. 3.04

1.1 mile cool down

TbL

That's a great session right there !

800 reps:

1. 3.06
    2. 3.01
    3. 2.59
    4. 3.05
    5. 3.03
    6. 3.04
    7. 3.06
    8. 3.03
    9. 3.06
    10. 3.04

1.1 mile cool down

TbL

The old Yasso 800s.
    Looks like you're good to go for a 3:05 Marathon!!

super session, pretty consistent reps.

how was the shin?

Tnx AMK,

Shin held up very well.

Went to get a massage shortly after and handed her the Stazza note :)

No symptoms of the shin injury reoccurring but my tibia post. was tight, but she worked hard on getting it out, so happy days.

TbL

menoscemo wrote: »
    The old Yasso 800s.
    Looks like you're good to go for a 3:05 Marathon!!

Thanks Meno,

I'd drink a pint of liquidised fugal toenails for a 3.05 in Seville :) but it's not gonna happen on this training cycle.

McMillan says that in his experience that you need to add 5 mins to the Yassos to get a better idea of your marathon time.

TBH if I hit 3.10 in Seville I'd be very happy and then try and push on from there.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Some good consistent training there, keep it up :)

Advertisement