Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

25 Reasons Norway Is The Greatest Place On Earth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

25? The price of a pint in Norway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

This is essentially ripped off reddit. Seriously, that site is dangerously obsessed with Norway! The Ålesund photos crop up way too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Lucena wrote: »
    25? The price of a pint in Norway.

Does everything in your life evolve around a pint?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Actually no it doesn't. But it’s a point of comparison between the prices in one country and the prices in another, and one which most people understand.

I could have used the kilo of spuds as a reference, but most people don’t go buying spuds when on a foreign holiday. They generally go out for a drink though.

My remark was meant to be flippant, almost AH-like, in keeping with the tone generally reserved for discussing internet list-based articles.

Lucena wrote: »
    Actually no it doesn't. But it’s a point of comparison between the prices in one country and the prices in another, and one which most people understand.

I could have used the kilo of spuds as a reference, but most people don’t go buying spuds when on a foreign holiday. They generally go out for a drink though.

My remark was meant to be flippant, almost AH-like, in keeping with the tone generally reserved for discussing internet list-based articles.

That's why it's a BIG difference living in Ireland vs Norway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Ah here, be nice... She meant no harm and it is, in fairness, a pretty expensive country for visitors ;)
    Although if you're living there you can well afford a pint, I'm sure, because with such high prices comes quite a large salary :D

Ah here, be nice... She meant no harm and it is, in fairness, a pretty expensive country for visitors ;)
    Although if you're living there you can well afford a pint, I'm sure, because with such high prices comes quite a large salary :D

I know ,sorry no offense,but you are spot on there,that's my point .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

In fairness, the price of a pint is far higher relative to wages than here. This has a big impact on pub culture, i.e. there is very little.

They have gone down the high taxes, high public services route and it seems to be working well.
    I guess we have gone down the high taxes low public services avenue.

dubrov wrote: »
    In fairness, the price of a pint is far higher relative to wages than here. This has a big impact on pub culture, i.e. there is very little.

They have gone down the high taxes, high public services route and it seems to be working well.
    I guess we have gone down the high taxes low public services avenue.

There is no pub culture in Scandinavia,except for the Danish maybe.
    But then again the Danish are paying higher taxes than Norway and Sweden.
    It's more a drinking in the weekends culture,and then a lot,lol.
    And the governments are taxing high on alcohol cause they think it will effect the consumption,which it doesn't,it only leads to more smuggling and home brew and people drinking at home instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

There is no pub culture in Scandinavia,except for the Danish maybe.

Scandinavia is in the vodka belt, so its not that suprising. Danish alcohol consumption is higher than Norway's and Sweden's.
    And the governments are taxing high on alcohol cause they think it will effect the consumption,which it doesn't,it only leads to more smuggling and home brew and people drinking at home instead.

Home brewing in this day and age?

Regulation and taxation have a large effect on consumption; even when you take into account private imports and home drinking.

• Advertisement

ush wrote: »
    Scandinavia is in the vodka belt, so its not that suprising. Danish alcohol consumption is higher than Norway's and Sweden's.

Home brewing in this day and age?

Regulation and taxation have a large effect on consumption; even when you take into account private imports and home drinking.

Home brewing is very common in Norway,just because of high prices on alcohol in general.Its legal for own use,but not legal to sell.
    Regulation doesn't have much effect in Norway believe it or not.

Regulation doesn't have much effect in Norway believe it or not.

The figures beg to differ.

The figures beg to differ.

I am sure they do,even better if you present them

Om Europa delas upp i regioner så dricks det minst i Norden med 10,4 liter ren alkohol per år. Därefter följer Sydeuropa med 11,2 liter, Central- och Västeuropa med 12,4 liter och högst konsumtion uppmäts i Central- och Östeuropa med 14,5 liter alkohol per vuxen (Anderson m.fl. 2012).

http://www.can.se/sv/Drogfakta/Fragor-och-Svar/Alkohol/#3

Om Europa delas upp i regioner så dricks det minst i Norden med 10,4 liter ren alkohol per år. Därefter följer Sydeuropa med 11,2 liter, Central- och Västeuropa med 12,4 liter och högst konsumtion uppmäts i Central- och Östeuropa med 14,5 liter alkohol per vuxen (Anderson m.fl. 2012).

http://www.can.se/sv/Drogfakta/Fragor-och-Svar/Alkohol/#3

Where is the part with the home brew?And do you have international figures?not Swedish

Where is the part with the home brew?

Home brew isn't the problem it once was. Europe is more open. Easier to get hold of smuggled booze instead.

Those figures include total consumed. Which accounts for off the radar purchases.
    And do you have international figures?not Swedish

Well the figures did mention other areas of Europe. They would also be the same figures used by international organisations, like the WHO.

Maybe you could back up your contention that restrictive Scandinavian alcohol policies have no impact. Try not to rely on anecdotal evidence.

Home brew isn't the problem it once was. Europe is more open. Easier to get hold of smuggled booze instead.

Those figures include total consumed. Which accounts for off the radar purchases.

Well the figures did mention other areas of Europe. They would also be the same figures used by international organisations, like the WHO.

Maybe you could back up your contention that restrictive Scandinavian alcohol policies have no impact. Try not to rely on anecdotal evidence.

Well we didn't discuss the total consumption as far as I am aware:rolleyes:
    What I said was that a lot of alcohol consumed in Norway was homemade brew and moonshine,and smuggled alcohol.
    This because of high taxes on alcohol.and that this didn't have any impact on the consumption of alcohol.
    I am well aware that the Nordic countries have low consumption vs other countries.
    25% of the total consumption in Norway is from smuggled alcohol or moonshine.

http://www.questia.com/library/journal/1P3-63971283/the-validity-of-political-arguments-in-the-norwegian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Most people I know from Norway are regular consumers of home brew.

Lets be honest, there is little in Ireland that is better than in Norway. Scenery in Ireland is very poor pretty much everywhere, crime rates are shocking, driving standards are shocking, generally a fairly ugly race. About the only thing there is to talk about is Guinness and I dont even like that muck.

Ireland is falling to bits and its only going to get worse as they continue to promote sending all the skilled youth away to the US/Australia and Canada. The ageing population will provide a huge burden on social welfare and the politicians are disgusting, self-obsessed greedy trolls who have only their self-interests to care about.

Anyone who has never been to Norway, I advise a trip and be prepared to be shocked at the attitudes of people. There is a genuine care for society as a whole, the people seem less self-centered.

Oh would you give over with the doom and gloom! The country is hardly falling to bits, and is still one of the best places to live in the world.

Anyone who has never been to Norway, I advise a trip and be prepared to be shocked at the attitudes of people. There is a genuine care for society as a whole, the people seem less self-centered.

God you are good ,one a trip to Norway and you know all about the country already:rolleyes:
    You should have gotten the Nobels peace price for being ignorant.

• Advertisement

Well we didn't discuss the total consumption as far as I am aware:rolleyes:

We were discussing alcohol policies. Kind of meaningless unless you discuss consumption of alcohol.
    What I said was that a lot of alcohol consumed in Norway was homemade brew and moonshine,and smuggled alcohol.
    This because of high taxes on alcohol.and that this didn't have any impact on the consumption of alcohol.
    I am well aware that the Nordic countries have low consumption vs other countries.
    25% of the total consumption in Norway is from smuggled alcohol or moonshine.

http://www.questia.com/library/journal/1P3-63971283/the-validity-of-political-arguments-in-the-norwegian

Even with the smuggled and home distilled booze Sweden and Norway are below European averages. So the policies do work. You said it doesn't effect consumption. It does.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Norway is a happy place, I think it's partly down the cutest accent ever.

Imagine the sound of two angry Norwegians trying to kick off outside some pub. You just want to go up and hug them :D

God you are good ,one a trip to Norway and you know all about the country already:rolleyes:
    You should have gotten the Nobels peace price for being ignorant.

One trip? Ha ha now who is showing their ignorance! I lived there for several years FYI.

Fairly sure I will go back too, the only thing that puts me off is the language barrier and the fact I cant be bothered to learn a Scandinavian language. Its too easy for everyone to fall into speaking English, and they love to practice anyway.

Aard wrote: »
    Oh would you give over with the doom and gloom! The country is hardly falling to bits, and is still one of the best places to live in the world.

It may be "one" of the best places, if you include the third world. In the first world, its scraping the bottom of the barrel and isnt showing any signs of improving. I guess the fundamental nature of Irish people is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Lets be honest, there is little in Ireland that is better than in Norway. Scenery in Ireland is very poor pretty much everywhere, crime rates are shocking, driving standards are shocking, generally a fairly ugly race. About the only thing there is to talk about is Guinness and I dont even like that muck.

Oh my goodness!! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Norway is beautiful, but I don't think you're being fair to Ireland :mad: There are plenty of scenery! There are beautiful cities, nature and historical/cultural sights. ... and people are far from ugly! I don't think it's fair to bulk them all up as a race and say they're ugly. I love their precious pale skin, their gorgeous eyes and all the freckles :) (generalising now, of course, but you get the gist)

3081179_4120e6f2.jpg

Both Oslo and Dublin are awash with heroin. Central Oslo is like a zombie film.

Oh my goodness!! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Norway is beautiful, but I don't think you're being fair to Ireland :mad: There are plenty of scenery! There are beautiful cities, nature and historical/cultural sights. ... and people are far from ugly! I don't think it's fair to bulk them all up as a race and say they're ugly. I love their precious pale skin, their gorgeous eyes and all the freckles :) (generalising now, of course, but you get the gist)

3081179_4120e6f2.jpg

There are of course beautiful looking people in Ireland, but in general if you were to stand in any city or town centre for 1 hour and take the average, the Irish are absolutely rotten looking in comparison to your average Norwegian. I remember I was over in Estonia for a while and I met a girl there who had lived in Ireland for about 5 years, when I asked her what she thought of Ireland, her lasting memory was that she couldnt believe how ugly a race it was! I thought this was ridiculous, however I was in McDonalds asking someone for directions and even in there, the people were slim and generally stunning. Of course thats Estonia, but you get the jest. Also they dont tend to stagger about the streets in a state at night, fighting and being sick everywhere.

Also you have posted 1 picture of a little rocky bit of Ireland, but its really just nothing at all in comparison to Norway. In fact even Scotland has vastly more stunning and more rugged natural scenery than ireland.

If I had to sum up what amazed me about life in Norway, I would say that the biggest difference was how conscientious people are of others and their feelings.

It may be "one" of the best places, if you include the third world. In the first world, its scraping the bottom of the barrel and isnt showing any signs of improving. I guess the fundamental nature of Irish people is the problem.
    Scraping the bottom of the barrel? What hyperbole. I'll give it to you that Norway is a fantastic country, and is in a league of its own in many ways. But saying such things about Ireland is disingenuous. Having lived abroad myself (in a first world country at that...) I can say that Ireland is certainly not the worst of the best. I don't know what experiences you've had here to make you think that, but it's certainly not a viewpoint I can identify with.

One trip? Ha ha now who is showing their ignorance! I lived there for several years FYI.

Fairly sure I will go back too, the only thing that puts me off is the language barrier and the fact I cant be bothered to learn a Scandinavian language. Its too easy for everyone to fall into speaking English, and they love to practice anyway.

Good for you,then why bother going back,lol.
    And you lived here for several years and don't even know the language.I am sure you would have reach further to people if you did.

• Advertisement

We were discussing alcohol policies. Kind of meaningless unless you discuss consumption of alcohol.

Even with the smuggled and home distilled booze Sweden and Norway are below European averages. So the policies do work. You said it doesn't effect consumption. It does.

Then why is 25 % smuggled or home made?

Advertisement