Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another New Bike - Giant V Scott

• 07-01-2014 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking into upgrading my road bike for 2014 and would appreciate some advice / feedback.......

Firstly I guess some background info / experience on me to help you with providing some feedback....
    I have been cycling now approx 12 months using a aluminium frame road bike that I purchased in Jan 2013. (didnt want to go with a more expensive frame until I knew I would stick with cycling etc which I have done).

In the past 12 months I have cycled just short of 7000km and can do an average speed of 30-32kph over 100km distances and have done slightly faster average speeds over a shorter distance of 40-50km. Current bike is running a Tiagra Groupset with a 50/39T Chainset and 12-28 block.

Also I am not bothered if the bike has Ultegra or 105 as I will be intending on keeping the bike for a good few years (hopefully) and can upgrade the groupset from say 105 to Ultegra at a later stage, so am really looking for advice on bike quality, comfort, speed etc.

I wont be going through the B2W scheme.

I may also participate in a few league races and time trials this year to get a feel for racing (mainly just for the experience of taking part).

I have been looking at some road bikes that I know can be got through my LBS and have came up with the following shortlist but I would appreciate some feedback if possible from anyone who has experience with these bikes. The bikes listed below I believe retail from 2K to 2.3K euro (I have not yet priced any at the LBS as I want to find out more about what other people think about them first and maybe shorten my list more before I approach the LBS).

Bike #1
    Giant TCR Advanced 2
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2014.giant.tcr.advanced.2/14970/66531/#specifications

Bike # 2
    Giant TCR Composite 1
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2014.giant.tcr.composite.1/14971/66532/#specifications

Bike # 3
    Scott Solace 30
    http://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/products/234096021/bike-solace-30-20-tw-s52/

Bike # 4
    Scott CR1 10
    http://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/products/234100/scott-cr1-10-compact-bike/

Any advice / feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 befriend1

Hi Guys,

I am also interested in getting a Road Bike. I have no experience and I am hoping to take part in events such as WAR this summer. I plan to cycle to work which is a 47k round journey after a few months (over ambitious eh!).

I went into CycleBike on Capel Street and the guy suggested a Giant Avail 3 but I think I would rather go for the improved spec and go for the 2. I am going to go for the Bike to Work Scheme so I have to get something under €1,000.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2014.liv.giant.avail.2/15013/66784/

It has also been suggested by a friend that I go to Giant on the Naas Road and have a look there.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice road bike under €1,000 and the type of specifications I should be looking for. I have no knowledge so I feel a bit out of my depth.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

BUMP.......

Am leaning more towards the Giant TCR Composite 1 or the Scott Solace 30.
    Anyone any opinions......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭nilhg

BUMP.......

Am leaning more towards the Giant TCR Composite 1 or the Scott Solace 30.
    Anyone any opinions......

At that price point it's very unlikely than anyone here is going to have both, so getting a direct comparison is unlikely. Also at that level and with those established brands both bikes are going to be very solid reliable machines so on one level it will come down to your personal preference for the look and feel and some research to see if the individual geometry of each bike suits more or less. Which is closest to your current bike? Is there anything about the fit of your current bike you'd specifically like to change? Will one or other of the bikes above get you there?

Don't discount either the physical, in the flesh look and feel of the bikes, it maybe that when you actually see them one will stand out for you, the same applies to the shop, you may much prefer to deal with one shop than the other, the vibe you get from the individuals involved might be enough to swing the deal one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Do you have a budget? I think the Giant TCR Composite 1 is well priced for the spec.

logik wrote: »
    Do you have a budget? I think the Giant TCR Composite 1 is well priced for the spec.

Thinking a budget of about 2K but can add a 200-300 more if needed, If I think spending the additional money is worth it.

I agree also that bike seems to be well priced for a carbon bike with Ultegra. I also like the composite / blue colour mix and the aero frame. If I did go with this bike the only thing I might look to do is swap the chainset for a 53/39T.

Scott Solace 30 can be got with a 53/39T chainset.

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    At that price point it's very unlikely than anyone here is going to have both, so getting a direct comparison is unlikely. Also at that level and with those established brands both bikes are going to be very solid reliable machines so on one level it will come down to your personal preference for the look and feel and some research to see if the individual geometry of each bike suits more or less. Which is closest to your current bike? Is there anything about the fit of your current bike you'd specifically like to change? Will one or other of the bikes above get you there?

Don't discount either the physical, in the flesh look and feel of the bikes, it maybe that when you actually see them one will stand out for you, the same applies to the shop, you may much prefer to deal with one shop than the other, the vibe you get from the individuals involved might be enough to swing the deal one way or another.

Good point and I fully understand that it is unlikely that someone will have both bikes but I am also open to feedback from anyone even if they have just one of the bikes just to really determine if there are any bad points with either bike. As far as I know the Scott Solace is relatively new to the market has gotten some very good reviews from various websites so it may be that no one on boards may have one yet :) .

I am thinking the Solace 30 would be close to my existing bike frame wise. I think getting a price on the Solace 30 from the LBS might be a better a approach to helping make a decision, no point in researching a bike and then realising it might be outside the budget.

Advertisement